Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Known

Your Experiences With 'bike Locks' Needed

Guest Known

Hey, currently doing a project which involves designing against bike theft.

Looking for any opinions on current bike locks and schemes, likes aswell as dislikes and example you like.

Aswell as any ideas!

Thanks

Jonathan

Guest Phil_

Im doing a project on the exact same thing at the moment. Id be interested to see what direction your going in :P

Guest remus

The main problem i have currently is that i either have to carry a really heavy duty chain to be secure or a lightweight wire+combination lock thing. I havent found much in between.

Guest chante42

you should both take a look at Andrew Lang who has designed bike locks against theft. Maybe from there you could get some inspiration .x.

Guest vjatmiko

we all know how push bikes are highly wanted in Holland.. i have lost like 2 bikes in a year duration living in Holland. in fact, a friend of mine lost like 3 bikes. from what we've observed, no matter how expensive and complicated the locks you use, they are breakable somehow just in secs..

in my point of view, the main idea is to delay as much time is possible, thus theft will find such difficulties.. so if you have ideas of designing a lock, my opinion is making it in such a way that it takes ages to be broken.. no matter how fancy it is,.. it doesn't have to be that fancy.. yet it has to be breakable like in 4 hrs extremely hard effort or maybe a 20 hrs effort of breaking your lock..beisdes, im sure you knw that some theft are stealing parts of the bike itself.. so a lock which secures all parts of a bike will be much wanted..

so yea.. anyway,, u nw knw how piss off i am over this bikey theft lol

good luck mate

Guest ChrisDuncan
yet it has to be breakable like in 4 hrs extremely hard effort or maybe a 20 hrs effort of breaking your lock..

I think the time is closer to 60 seconds. If it takes more than 60 seconds most thieves will pass. Nothing short of Fort Knox is going to last more than 5 minutes with the right tools. Of course that means the location is important. Bike racks should be right up front where everyone can see them. If in the back alley they can take however much time they need.

Look at the Kryptonite line, they're pretty much the only thing that holds up.

I'm thinking other methods of deterrence, like rigging up a taser, or an alarm system, don't know where you would hide the siren though.