Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cderby

Final Boards...need Opinions!

Guest cderby

Hello all.

This is my 1st semester senior project. I've done plenty of graphic boards, large and small. But I'm having some real trouble on these. I'm looking for opinions on graphic layout, what you think would look/work best. This is a 2D wall presentation and will not be digital...(only later when I put it in my portfolio.)

Keep in mind, these boards aren't close to completion. I have work to do on type, content, object size and placement.

I'm just looking for some real opinions on the following:

I have all the information layed out where I want it. My original idea was to have these 15 horizontal boards versus 3 large boards. I started to design the boards and they ended up in the 3 vertical format. Thoughts?

Should I separate the boards? I have the 3 large boards fairly organized into #1 RESEARCH, #2 IDEATION and #3 FUNCTIONS, but they start to become overwhelming to look at. I feel like if I break the presentation down into separate boards I could be able to manage the space a little better.

2-3.jpg

Here is a closer look at each board:

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Any comments on pure graphics would be helpful to.

-Cole

Guest Austin Brown

I think you might be able to make them a little more involving if you mix up the heights of the horizontal elements. They sort of blend together. Maybe you could make the most important ones bigger or higher contrast or something. That seems like a lot of information to have to communicate visually. Good Luck!

austin

Guest amarsh23

Heavy equipment, my favorite!!

I agree with Austin, however I do like the consistency of the sizes. You might consider removing the two horizontal bars of "ideation" and simply make that one nice big box of sketches like you plan to due with the orth. Perhaps enlarge the nice render a bit, emphasis and such.

Also, I did a similar equipment project and the company was very particular about graphic/layout. If you haven't already maybe pick up a Terex brochure and takes some cues from it.

Good work

Guest Austin Brown

One more thing, if I may...

Throw some colors and/or shading down on the ideation section. If terex is Light gray and red, then some red accents will draw the eye to the important sketches in that area - maybe the ones that you are most excited about, or that are the most promising. You could just outline a path in Photoshop and do a gradient from the redish color to transparent to give a little more emphasis, especially since all the rest of the images seem to be fully saturated. I feel like this will help to balance the page a bit.

-austin

Guest csven

The rounded corners bother me. For better or worse, they remind me of Apple's iPod aesthetic, which only reinforces the sense that it doesn't feel right to me, considering the product you're showcasing. The rounded corner aesthetic communicates "soft" to me; not "rugged".

Guest AdamMichell

I really like the boards and its been giving me some ideas. Are you going to do a board to clearly show off just the product? Really clean and simple, a final rendering so I can see clearly what details I am looking at in the sketching stages etc..

Nice work!