Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Austin Brown

How To Make The Best Use Of A Sketchbook...

Guest Austin Brown

I recently had a brief chat with someone about the merits of keeping a sketchbook, and having it at hand at (nearly) all times.

It started like this...

>>>>hi , im wondering if you can just hand in alot of 8.1/2 x 11 paper as your sketchbook?

because i mostly sketch during class, and then continue them at home, and caring a sketchbook in school is a bit too much.

to which I responded:

>>>>I would recommend biting the bullet and carrying the sketchbook for a number of reasons.

-I regret that I rarely do, and I can never remember my ideas when I get home.

-It keeps everything in one place - forever

-the corners stay flat and the pages won't tear

-it makes you look like a designer

-it makes you act like a designer

-if you're sketching during class, then a sketchbook looks a lot more scholarly than doodling on a sheet of paper

-if you have the coolest sketchbook, you have the coolest sketchbook. if you have cool pages, you look disorganized

To be fair, it is a lot of hassle to carry a sketchbook around, but the benefits outweigh the hassle. And it's a good habit to be in. I'm glad I trained myself to do it.

continuing...

>>>>thx a lot Austin, I guess ill start using my sketchbook.

i just hate it when i draw something on it, and it looks like crap when i mess up, then i want to tear it apart. lol

and finally:

>>>>I hear you. That just means you have to fill that one up so you can start a new one with no mistakes. :P

OK. So I don't claim to be an expert on this topic, and I am not tooting my own horn. I just thought that it would be a great topic to discuss good reasons to keep a sketchbook. I am also interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about whether school projects should be done in the sketchbook or separated. I tend to keep my personal sketches in the sketchbook, and my projects and classwork in a folder of flat pages.

What do you all think? What are your experiences?

Guest csven

I carry sketchbooks (plural), especially when I travel. I also tend to sketch outside a sketchbook, in which case those sketches are collected along with all other relevant sketches in a project sketchbook.

From my military days I also got into the habit of carrying a "wheel book" (no clue why it was called that). Basically it's a small notepad that fits in your pant pocket and in which you keep notes. That and a pen were mandatory. And while it took some time to get used to carrying one, I'm glad it became a habit.

I always carry a sketchbook! Everyday!! I draw whenever I get a chance. I have about 15 full sketchbooks.

I went to Chicago for a graphic design seminar as a student and all I brought was my sketchbook for the portfolio review. I had a small picture of each final piece at the end of all the sketches.

I was told by every reviewer that my portfolio was the most innovative and thought out one they had seen. They were big names in design also so I was stoked. Almost everyone else had either the lame plastic insert type portfolios or they had them mounted. No one brought their sketches, only final pieces.

-

Guest Austin Brown

So all that money i spent on a nice classy 11x17 portfolio was a waste? crap.

Well, it never hurts to be the guy with something different. Interesting story though. I wonder if the same situation would benefit an Industrial Designer...

I wonder if the same situation would benefit an Industrial Designer...

Why not? In my opinion, process is the most important thing. A good sketchbook shows the process better than a final glossy print. Of course I was a student and didn't have real world projects to show either.

If I was an established designer with professional work, I would show that instead but as a student, I think it's perfect.

-

as long as you are good at it who cares where you keep it? why waste time talking about such a useless topic? go and sketch!

Why are you wasting your time responding to such a useless topic?? Shouldn't you be designing axes or something?? :P

Guest Austin Brown
as long as you are good at it who cares where you keep it? why waste time talking about such a useless topic? go and sketch!

Why are you wasting your time responding to such a useless topic?? Shouldn't you be designing axes or something?? :D

You guys are making me laugh out loud. If it's useless, it wouldn't be creating any discussion. But I really should be sketching instead of typing. Tough choice...

Guest Austin Brown

Does anyone else have any interesting stories to share about their sketchbooks?

Guest Taro

lol why not bring both of the plastic ones, to show all your nicely rendered stuff, and your sketchbook?.. there are no rules saying that you can only bring one of them?

Guest Skint

Heres a thought ! Sketch were ever you like. Sometimes you may start sketching without planning to and not have your sketchbook handy.... then and heres the trick :P Get some glue and stick those sheets of paper or beer mats or whatever into your sketchbook :)

Get some glue and stick those sheets of paper or beer mats or whatever into your sketchbook :P

Then you have a scrapbook! Please don't drink and sketch! Throw the beer mats out!

Just kidding! That's what I do!

Here's an old sketchbook from the 90's as an example of what mine looked like.

all_sm.gif

-