Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
roelontwerpt

Skimmer Ground Effect Plane

Guest tontonS

original :huh:

did you make some prototypes to test? i wander if this would work?

but the idea is very original

Guest ChristophiaG

Very nice, at first I thought "hm, that looks a little uncomfortable", but after taking a closer look it seems like it wouldn't be too bad. I like the shape. Good work.

Guest amit patankar

nice concept

i like the form.

the leg position doesnt seem to be comfortable. looks awkwardly placed. there's no grip for the legs.

That is an interesting take on the ekranoplane concept. Like others mentioned it has a very cool form, but questionable ergonomics.

The seat for instance it is too skinny. Given the choppy ride that particular seat design would be very uncomfortable for your rear end.

The most important issue to correct is the positioning of the knees and elbows which are directly in line with the jetstream. Re: the wankel motor, where does it exhaust?

Guest celticsun

B) Oh Yeah !

Well first thing I would do would be to buy this Skimmer! I love watercraft and flying! I love this I think this would be a hit on the market scene. People buy the oddest thins but this has a few needed part like cushioning for the legs and the knee's may take a few hits but all in all this baby would rock! Um.... how much would this cost on the open market!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! B)B)

I would work out details and think of this as a future Thesis project! I could a lot of adaptaions with this. Look beyond this box for other ideas, just because a competition doesnt go well keepworking at it..... someone will take notice!

B) celticsun

Nice Drawings and Conceptual Design GREAT JOB!

interesting concept. the presentation can be better by adding a rendering of the watersurface for a dynamic picture like the third photo.

i'd like to see graphical elements on the surface of your design. now it's completely blue, imo a bit boring. anyway, well done.

Guest desagree

nice idea! apart from that what`s already been said concerning seat position (outch!)

i`m not sure about proportions of the wings- they look a bit short- especially compared to the head of the plane- i think you should orientate more towards sailplane dimensions.

Thank you everybody, for all the comments,

>>did you make some prototypes to test? i wander if this would work?

a model was requiered in the second round of the braunprize, unfortunately, I didnt make it to that round, I was looking forward to building a working scale model :ph34r:

>>That is an interesting take on the ekranoplane concept.

Actualy it is a wing in ground plane configuration that is called the Lippisch ram wing.

>>The seat for instance it is too skinny. Given the choppy ride that particular seat design would be very uncomfortable for your rear end. The most important issue to correct is the positioning of the knees and elbows which are directly in line with the jetstream.

I must agree on that issue, this needs some work. What i tried to achieve was an active positon, like on a racebike, because the plane is mainly steered by shifting your body weight.

>> Re: the wankel motor, where does it exhaust?

Both the fuel lines and the exaust gasses run through the engine mount into the body, where there is sufficient space for a decent muffler.

>>interesting concept. the presentation can be better by adding a rendering of the watersurface for a dynamic picture like the third photo.

I agree on the rendering part. The tutorial by Parel did help me on that issue, but that was after the closing date.

>>`m not sure about proportions of the wings- they look a bit short- especially compared to the head of the plane- i think you should orientate more towards sailplane dimensions.

The main advantage of the wing in ground effect the skimmer makes use of, is that a high pressure area is retained between the wing and the ground. This increases the amount of lift created by the wing so the wings can be smaller.

For more information on the wig effect: http://www.se-technology.com/wig/index.php

Guest design guy

wow I think thats really nice! shame you did not make it through to the next round! :D