Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest csven

Google Sketch Up 7

Guest csven

I was reading about the latest release of Google's Sketch Up version 7. The dynamic capabilities stuff was interesting; similar to coding VRML or adding scripts to SL objects. But what struck me most was what doesn't seem to be getting much mention among non-designers discussing this upgrade: attribution, access control (aka "permissions") and wiki-style collaboration (ala Wikitecture). All three are often a relatively big deal from a designer's pov.

I reckon its an issue of access and flow. Sure it is simple and intuitive to use), majority of web users only use the internet for email, viewing web, sending quick messages, reading short news bites, writing short blogs. People won't build a 3D classroom just to tell some what the room looks like. The more effort anything is the less adoption.

It needs to be integrated in webpages and visual communication some how. Use of 3d data needs to flow well, viewing, creating, and presenting it. Until webpages become live 3d interaction, it is just too much effort to figure out what to use with it. With sl adopted so well by nearly all people is that its already there for you to use when you are in world, you can build it, sell it, show it to people, randomly display it to people. Now you can't really do that with sketchup.

Guest csven

I have no clue what you're talking about, bowlofnoodle. What does "access and flow" have to do with 3D file IP permissions systems being incorporated into Sketch Up (or, for that matter, Wildfire with RMX)?

Guest csven

Assuming you're serious (which I know is a bad assumption), the immediate effect of a 3D file permissions system would be in the simple emailing of files. I'm always amazed at how often I see emails with 3D files attached forwarded around to people who shouldn't be receiving them. If the ability to open the file is controlled with a permissions system, that becomes less of an issue.

I thought you could not figure out why 3D web content was not adopted as much by general consumers with the new release of Sketchup. I guess I just cant wait till websites becoming 3D and interactive, beyond information and pictures.