Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest chrisfrenchntu

"furniture And Product Design Has No Value In Today's Society"

Guest ChrisDuncan
I'm a student at Nottingham Trent University, UK and I have been given this statement as a stimulus for debate. It would be great to hear anyone's reaction and response to the statement. Many thanks.

Some things are already refined in design as much as possible because their application is fixed. Like the fork/spoon/knife. Any further design is just art work.

So then the argument is "does art have value"? Yes it does, it's food for the soul.

Guest chrisfrenchntu

I realise that value has many meanings and everyone has a number of different opinions of what it could be, for example, it could be the monetary value in terms of how much someone will pay for or how much they think it is worth. It could also be the social value of a product, by which I mean how the object benefits society, i.e. inclusive products – the wheel chair or the electric sliding door – that help to make life easier for people who are disabled. As the posts above have shown me there are many different definitions for value. This is also true when the statement talks about furniture and product design, the subject of design is so broad it is hard to used one concept to define it, it can mean the processes of thought that come up with shapes and ideas on paper, it can also include the processes that are used to manufacture and develop products. It can also include the actual products that are consumed and used by the public. This, from what I have found when talking to the public in Nottingham, is the case. The processes of creative thinking and manufacture are largely forgotten or at least not acknowledged when the consumer buys and uses these designed objects. There is the same broad view with the phrase ‘today’s society’. What is meant by this? It emcompasses, both western and eastern cultures because there is such an overlap in design these days with innovative designers coming from all the corners of the earth and the manufacturing capabilities of China, in a way there is a cooperation between the two cultures but there is also competition. Today’s society also talks about the current ‘credit crunch’ problems that we are having and how this links to the public moving away from the prevalent ‘throwaway culture’ that has been rising over the last few years. This is evident in the increase of interest in becoming more self efficient – increase demand for allotments to grow own vegetables etc. . Popular culture and the celebrity culture comes hand-in-hand with today’s society – people striving to be like the coolest of the cool, wanting what they have (the ipod is a good example of this).

These are some of the ideas and opinions my group and I have come up with and we are working on them and refining them. We are trying to disprove the statement, luckily as we are all furniture design students. When I posted the statement I did not want to start a debate as such. I wanted to hear peoples opinions, using their own views of what ‘value’, ‘design’ and ‘today’s society’ were to enable us [debates group] to put forward a solid argument using as many people’s opinions as possible. As a group, our main focus is on the monetary value of design in business and to the public (the consumers), but we are also going to cover many other points to help support our argument.

I don’t know whether this helps in refining the main points of the statement or makes any clearer my aimwith this post. But I would still really appreciate any input on this. Thanks

Guest Taro

design helps to satisfy human needs, and helps to create identity, and also making one unique.

human will never be satisfy with what we have now, and that's why we keep getting better and better. Taking your ipod example, this is why there are such things as ipod nano, shuffle, iphone etc etc. Could you imagine what would it be like if one day, a law states that people can't produce/design new things? People would go crazy, because no one is satisfied. In fact, im looking at the ad on this website, the wacom cintiq one, and i really want it. That is the value in design, satisfaction.

In terms of identity and uniqueness, I often find that many friendship, or just conversation starts from "o cool, I have that too!" or the opposite of that, "wow, where you get that?"

hope this helps.

Guest mj1

Hey chris its Mike from bishops! How you getting on at Nottingham? Hope you're doing better than Russ!

It's an interesting statement this one, especially seeing as it could involve furniture and product design. To me, I think furniture design does have it's place in people's lives, anyone who pop's down to ikea will no doubt be searching for something that fits their house and personality, or just after what they determine 'nice' (which in itself is a reflection of their personality) however (I'm no furniture designer, so don't shoot me down!) when I look at tables in the back of the times magazine for several grand, I can't help but think they're so inaccessible to general folk, they must have little value and impact upon modern society, everyone knows about the Eames chair, but how many people have been privileged enough to own one? And what about people living in more deprived areas, on a larger global scale, I'd imagine they'd be happy just to have somthing to sit on, let alone what it looks like or the social status it gives them!

But when it comes to industrial product design, I (and probably everyone else on here) am under the firm belief that it has a massive impact upon society as a whole. Designing innovation and personality into a product is what gives it the added value to separate it in the market place and create desire and thus sales. Design can make or break a company and in the current economic period, I believe design will have an ever increasing place in businesses priorities as they strive to maintain product identity whilst saving production costs...

Hope my opinion helps, and I'll be coming down to Notts next term to see Andy and Russ, so I'll see you then!

MJ

Guest chrisfrenchntu

hey mike, i'm havin an awesome time, loving the course although there's a lot more than i was expecting!! interesting point on the more deprived areas of the world we hadn't thought of looking at it from that angle. yeah the value and worth of design seems to be a really good point we've loads of stuff supporting it. i think its going to be our best point of argument.

thanks for writing and maybe see u next term!

Chris

Guest Allazul

I think now more than ever, we appreciate that everything we live with—from a pen to MP3 player—can, and should be well designed. But of course with this global crisis we want a nice price for the products. Designers should understand the sociaty and respond to the reality of peoples life, thinking in economy. While technology has provided new materials and methods of production, the concept remains the same—thoughtfully designed products improve our everyday lives.

The internet is a nice place to find nice products ideas and also see the products prices.

I find some shop that have nice products with a reasonables prices.

www.ebay.com

www.lovelycutegits.com

www.boysstuff.co.uk

so i think product design has value, but we need to think in buyer wallet :)

Guest sintra
I'm a student at Nottingham Trent University, UK and I have been given this statement as a stimulus for debate. It would be great to hear anyone's reaction and response to the statement. Many thanks.

I think that furniture and product design have got a lot value in today's society. There are in fact a lot of company which product design items. An example is IBUYEXT....Follow this link and visit its web site http://www.ibuyext.com/en

Guest marco.sala
I think now more than ever, we appreciate that everything we live with—from a pen to MP3 player—can, and should be well designed. But of course with this global crisis we want a nice price for the products. Designers should understand the sociaty and respond to the reality of peoples life, thinking in economy. While technology has provided new materials and methods of production, the concept remains the same—thoughtfully designed products improve our everyday lives.

The internet is a nice place to find nice products ideas and also see the products prices.

I find some shop that have nice products with a reasonables prices.

www.ebay.com

www.lovelycutegits.com

www.boysstuff.co.uk

so i think product design has value, but we need to think in buyer wallet :D

Well said Allazul. I am ashamed at what is sometimes produced. Big prices for little value, and especially little ideas behind them. I believe design has a value if it makes lives simpler/more pleasant, and all at prices which are affordable. Hard balance to strike sometimes, but I honestly cannot see another way.

Guest Lodesign

Hi everybody,

in the last few years design schools or universities have gained a lot of prestige and many students are applying for attending Fashon Design classes or Industrial Design classes so your statement seems in contraddiction with the real world.

Nowadays everything is designed and the important thing is to be able to make the difference to emerge from the multitude.

I believe that the new frontier of Design is the superficial texture of the product: you can really create something new especially now that Laser Photo-Engraving technology has reached its highest quality.

have a look to this site:

design does not get old fashoned!

Guest litmusonline

Product design ranges from furniture, electronics, lighting, tools, toys, and general everyday objects. If you went to buy object/item you will definitely think about “Product’s Design” and then you decide whether you want to buy it or not? So as per my opinion product design is very important.

Guest darrinp

In this extremely cost conscious economy, where price is indeed king, design can be the sole driver of sales. Corporations are so driven by cost, so that they can be competitive on the store shelf, that they are turning to design to differentiate their product from the competition.

Design might not be high on the consumers list of priorities as far as adding value, but it is definitely high on the corporate agenda. The Ipod is just an mp3 player and the Ipad is just a tablet PC, both of which have been around for some time. However, one look at the sales numbers, when compared to competitive products, will open your eyes very quickly to the value that design adds at the corporate level.

My sentence would be "Good Furniture and Product design adds more value, unknowingly to the average consumer, in today's society"

Of course, this is just the world through my eyes...