Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest chrisfrenchntu

"furniture And Product Design Has No Value In Today's Society"

Guest chrisfrenchntu

I'm a student at Nottingham Trent University, UK and I have been given this statement as a stimulus for debate. It would be great to hear anyone's reaction and response to the statement. Many thanks.

Guest csven

Depends on how one defines "Design" and perceives "Value". That sentence alone isn't enough to do anything other than generate a wildly varied and probably inconsequential discussion, since both words are open to broad interpretation and the result will likely be confusion. Set some guidelines and then see how the debate proceeds.

Guest freximus

Definitely an incendiary topic.

Taking the statement at its most superficial level, "Something has no value in today's society", is already invalid as a statement for debate, unless we are all in agreement that debate has no value. :)

That being said, the word design is a synonym of creation with slight tilt towards beauty, function, worth, improvement, etc. Each characteristic I've listed are words that supposedly add value in some form.

Therefore if we reduce or restate the title "Creation, with the intention of adding some value, has no value in today's society", we might conclude that this is a tough debate topic to prove.

Ultimately, I guess the only place where the statement could be true is heaven, where everything is perfect already.

Guest posty

Why today's society? What is significantly different today, that suggests they have no value?

I don't believe there has been a significant enough change to suggest that the value of product design differs from 50 years ago? Everyone still likes a comfortable chair? Perhaps we have too many chairs, so certain furtniture design's have lost there value...

Guest Skint

Is it just hinting that, in todays society, the majority prefer cheap tat... cost is king, compared to quality and unique design.

Kinda true .. especially in the furniture market, its all about penny pinching !

Guest CheckMate

oh no i definately believe design has value in todays society. Everything is designed, and well...... everything is taken for granted! often people will claim that much of design in not nesacery, just meaningless styling but could you imaging a world where we didn't take the care over our creations like we do? i would be a horrible ugly world without any user friendly appliances. designers give the mundane soul and emotion. personally i believe we a highly intuative beings picking up messages and emotions from all around us (infact i know we are!) and with out a back drop of designed objects our culture would be different. we are feeling beings and we need to represent that in all around us to the highest level possible by instilling as much feeling in objects as possible. the problem is understand this value and convincing others of this value also.

"furniture And Product Design Has No Value In Today's Society"

First off, no one thinks this way. It does seem very much like a teacher's assignment. It's really not even debatable.

If you want to debate, give me a few reasons to support this statement. Without this, you just get opinions and not debates.

-

Guest Taro

agree with J6.

If you can actually come up with debatable n true facts that supports to statement, then you would most likely surprise your teacher.

Sometimes teachers like to do that, they call it a DEBATE, but really, they are giving out an assignment that you cannot agree on, therefore, all the students' work will come up to be the same lol easier to mark.

Guest serv

I think that first we need to understand what we mean by 'value' and what we mean by 'society'. By understanding the context of these words we can then begin a discussion.

Would 'value' be the personal attachment? Or would it be the amount we can sell in the store? Or would it be the 'flawlessness' of the product? Everybody will have a different view towards 'value'.

However, I think that the very fact that we are all using a form of product design (be it a laptop, a PC, or a handheld device) to reply to this message then is that not a 'value'? The very chair, or desk that we use in our studios...are they not furniture with a personal 'value'? Does the ipod have a 'value'? Does your great grandmothers oak unit thats been passed through the generations have a 'value'? Does the latest mobile phone have a 'value'?

Perceived 'value' is difficult to interpretate as everyone has a different take upon it. Whenever we buy something new, or create something new, that product is in its most 'fresh' state. However, once we touch it and begin to use it the product then becomes tainted...to some this would lose the value to the product and it had its most 'value' at pre sale...to others this would increase it as the product has an element of personalisation.

Guest vjatmiko

its pretty simple i guess.. since problems exist.. new products which designed to solve them will always be valuable.. in case of furniture... how would you sit on if there's no chair.. ok this will be solved if we design a chair.. and of course we want our chair to be desired and valuable.. how can we achieve this?.. in my opinion, first getting into their (today's society) mind and wisely positioning your product.. comfy chair, lazy chair, johnny chair, lisa's chair... are always in demand, but.. this isnt such a valuable for a group of troops that are trying to get out of an ambush, would you consider today's society as this group of troops? i dont think so :P)..

Guest kingred

I believe design is desperately needed in today's society, where i believe good design is so subtle the user has no idea is has taken place, where they effortlessly and thoughtlessly operate their product.

Saying that design is needless is pretty ignorant.

Guest Austin Brown

In a world where products can be sold at any price and imbued with any technology, design has become one of the ONLY differentiating factors. (Brand and advertising still have some effect as well)

For example - most of the digital cameras are made from a surprisingly small pool of components and just look different. Same goes for cars - In the USA, a Ford is a Mercury is a Lincoln is a Volvo is a Mazda. They share chassis, brake systems, engines, electronics, interior components, etc. The only way to differentiate is to decide which one suits your personality or needs most effectively.

The same argument can be made for many different objects we use from day to day. They're all made of the same materials and with the same technology (often in the same factory). What's left to differentiate other than design?

Guest yeemadesign

In my opinion, there is nothing really has no value in today's society. I like the sentence"Saying that design is needless is pretty ignorant. "

www.yeemadesign.com

Guest posty

Not a very good statement or question I don't think. However, you could answer it by exploring the following:

What value does furniture and product design have in todays society?

How has this changed over the last 20 years and what values can we bring over the next 20 years?

To say that anything has no value is a dead end, to suggest that values and culture havechanged - is easier. For example, we are now in a post-industrial age, where technologies have become a medium for expression and the focus of design is shifting towards lead users or democratic design through accesibility of CAD technologies. Is function really so important once major problems are solved and life becomes too easy?

Therefore what values should we provide?