Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rnds

Is 'design-art' Relevant To The Design Industry?

Guest rnds
It's nice to hear names like Jasper Morrison and Rams. I am one of the only people I know who actually pays any attention to their designs. many of my peers simply look past them to things that they find "more interesting". Different strokes I guess.

austin

I know what you mean Austin. In our global consumer culture it is often the very stylized objects that get all the attention -- people can be extremely seduced by highly expressive designs -- most of us are far too impulsive about such things.

I like Rams and Morrison too -- I'm also a fan of Naoto Fukasawa. Here are some examples of his work: http://www.curbzone.com/concepts-designs/1...piration-3.html

Guest Austin Brown

I don't know enough about Fukasawa yet to form an opinion on his ethos or philosophy, but from a purely functional and aesthetic standpoint, I really appreciate it. He really pushes the thing I said about putting it in a box if that's the most logical, elegant solution. and the user's experience is taken into account. I need to read up on what HE thinks his role is in design, but in terms of aesthitics, he gets high marks in my book.

Thanks for all the great info and engaging conversation. What is your background?

-Austin

Guest rnds
What is your background?

I'm an artist ....but I have a big interest in contemporary design. :P

Guest bagaudae

"Very cool. I'm interested to see how this topic progresses. "

apparently, it does n`t.

Jasper Morrison is my personal hero. Recently i discovered Naoto Fukasawa (a teacher lend me his book) and to tell the truth, it was kind of discouraging. Made me think what the hell am i doing and what the hell does the "design world" needs anything else for. And how the hell am i ever be close to imagine and "produce" such quality and beauty. I hope this feeling goes away soon.

Guest CheckMate

I really like this lamp by Atelier Van Lieshout, Its full of character, love, compassion, empathy, strength, trust..... Its human and to me it has soul.

however i don't like this idea of 'super normalcy' at all, If you ask me its a dream for bureaucrats, autocrats and narcissists. I like 'Designs' if you look in a dictionary it will probably tell you that anything that has been designed is a design but for me a design has special ingredients. For me the word designing only implys that the object has been created using a process. mearly putting paint on canvas does not neccacarliy mean it is art to me, although i'm sure a large percentage of people would class it as some form of art becuase it has some attributes of art to me It is almost certainly not unless I see it possesses more than merely a key characteristic of art that has gone before. For something to be considered a design it has to stand the test of time it has to be something that when put out into the world it has to be something that survives and is championed by the public. There are no set rules of how to design a 'design' but two things that come to mind are that it should be universal and excellent.

really i don't see there being any problem with there being design pollution, yes it would be nice if there was less bad design and more good and the bar was raised, and that will happen in time. but good and bad are relative and there will always be good and bad. But everyone is a critic, some more influential than others, but all of them drive progress. At the end of the day i would much rather live in a world where there are designs created by designers and championed by critics than one where everything is visually standardised and idlised as being perfect as it has reached 'super normalcy', if freedom of expression has gone it sounds a bit like a world where free speech has gone and freedom in general. Could you imagine a city than had all standardised buildings in it? just different classes of buildings but all within a class identical? Its Un Human I think, I have things coming to mind like the film Equilibrium with christian bale.

Guest Karl Baxter

design art is particularly useful to designers who have already made it and are looking to finance a new boat or other leisure craft/vehicle. Many could do something as good if not far superior to any of these pieces were someone to offer a 100k for the piece. 50% good, 50% bad.