Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fatetohoax

Marker Renderings On Vellum

Guest Fatetohoax

So i have a project dealign with a concept carry-on(baggage)

My concept is quite round, oval in fact. with these sort if tube like structures on top and bottom.

Now i'm supposed to render it, with prisma colors on Vellum, which im having trouble doing.

I'm using a yellow/orange color scheme. maybe thats the problem?

are there any tutorials or tips that might help me?

or maybe some examples of other products that are oval in shape?

This is what i have so far. We're supposed to use maximum contrast.

post-26681-1225822660.jpg

Guest Maon W.

its a good start, but to me it dosent look like luggage...kinda looks like a coffe pot or something but i would love to see more...

~Mason

Guest Fatetohoax

haha, yeah i know, they're supposed to not look like normal rectangular shapes. mine is meant for small kids.

Guest Grafox

A tip, when shadowing using marker use a cool grey on the shadow side of the object and the color you want on the side with the light. Then also cover the grey with your color. This will create a slightly darker orange, but it will still fit your original orange.

Because now I think your shadow side is to saturated.

A tip, when shadowing using marker use a cool grey on the shadow side of the object and the color you want on the side with the light. Then also cover the grey with your color. This will create a slightly darker orange, but it will still fit your original orange.

Because now I think your shadow side is to saturated.

This is not recommended because it makes the color look dirty. Instead, let the marker dry up and go over it again with the same marker. Repeat a bunch of times, depending on what your paper will allow you to. Although the preferred is to use a darker marker of the same hue, not every student can afford a 72-set.

Guest Fatetohoax

I did try using a grey scale marker behind it, but it did look kind of dirty and odd to me.

i have a 48 pack. but today i went ot Utrecht to get a draker orange and a darker brown. Sadly it isnt darker...

Boy, if you thougth that looked saturated, the orange gets brighter.

i also tried using a color pencil over it. but i didnt really like it, nor did my teacher. she said the orange was fine though (but i disagree, so i restarted over)

i'm still not done.

but heres how they're going on so far.

(this is the open view)

the old one and the new one. i know line quality, they were done at 4 in the morning so.

i think i went TOO dark with the brown....

and Thanks guys, i really appreaciate it :)

post-26681-1226271049.jpg

post-26681-1226271058.jpg

Guest sylvester

Working with markers and chalk pastel on vellum is quite cool.

It gives you the ability to use both sides of the paper since it has

a degree of translucency (...if thats a word...)

What I would suggest is that you take one of your orange markers

that is closest in colour to your chalk pastel on the front side and use

it on the back of your vellum to punch out the dark areas (shadow areas)

of your shape. You may want to experiment on a separate scrap piece of paper.

Once you fine the right marker colour to place on the back side....go to town on your

finished artwork!

One more tip is a method to suggest that you are using some type of fabric.

Find something of heavy texture that you can burnish on the topside with your coloured

pencils. Once again experiment on another piece of paper. I suggest you start out with

something common like window screen material. Find or purchase a small swatch of the

screen (say 6" x 6") and place it on the underside of your drawing. Use a coloured pencil

(again, closest in colour to your desired orange or yellow fabric) and highlight the dark shadow

areas on the top side. Lay your coloured pencil on its side, say 10 degrees above the paper plane

and lightly burnish over the screen material. The high areas of the screen material will telegraph

through onto the vellum and suggest a texture. Experiment with different heavy texture materials

besides the screen to get the desired effect you want.

Most of all good luck and have fun!

colour onto your paper