Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jason2008

Modern Paper Shredder

Guest Jason2008

Hello, I am a student studying Industrial Design in my final year at Bradford University.

For my final year project I have decide to design a paper shredder. My wish for my paper shredder is to be different from standard market place shredder, which are built for the office environment, by designing the shredder for use at home.

I was situating my shredder in a hallway in a modern designer home, where the location can be considered and incorporated as a piece of furniture within the home and as such not to then look out of place.

I wanted to know if anyone had any views on my chosen location? Also if you were to have this already within your home what sort of capabilities would you want the shredder to have?

Also I was thinking of making a feature of the way the shredder shreds the paper.

I was thinking of not using a standard shredder mechanism, so you could then be able to see what’s going on inside, in the same way you can see a Dyson vacuum cleaner collecting rubbish. Then to compress the shredded paper automatically into bags.

If any one had any sort of comments it was be very much appreciated. Thanks Jason

Guest newt @ MWE

Hey

Ide think about where paper is generated in the home. I don't know how frequently I use or have to dispose of paper in my hallway.

Also, look into what the difference in paper use and disposal is in the home as opposed to the office. What is the majority of paper waste in the home? Are staples an issue, adhesives?, can you make it to work on food packaging (cereal boxes). I think you need to do some research behind this to find an answer.

As far the dyson clear idea or unique shredding, these features should have a pupose that sets your product apart and not just superfluous, expensive add-ons. When you do that, it becomes a gadget.

newt

Guest Taro

i have a paper shredder at home.

I dont use it, my dad does, he has loads of paper from company to organize and get rid of, then he has other stuff too. Even with such busy job, i still dont notice it being used a lot compare to offices. So.. i think you need to think about if its really needed, or if any 'designers' would really want one.

I like your idea of shredding paper into bags, if you know how to. Because that would be 100% useful,

However, if you think this paper shredder is mainly for a designer's home, then I dont think it would be that much useful, since why would designers kill their own sketches and projects? it's always good to keep your stuff.

Guest kaiza

What about different uses for shredded paper?

Where I live we have a separate paper collection bin that gets picked up every second week. I am always surprised by how much paper we have in there. Mainly packaging and newspapers.

We don't have a shredder at home, although my mum does some basic business paperwork stuff at home.

I would like to see a shredder that can shred thin cardboard such as tissue boxes and cereal packaging, and turn it into a useful type of mulch for the garden or something similar. Shredding would reduced the volume of the paper if it is compressed. There are also devices for winding newspapers into "logs" for use in a fireplace.