Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taro

Taro's Sketching & Rendering

Guest Austin Brown

Taro -

If you're planning on going eco, make sure you consider all the various ways that you can be green. For example, if you add a tiny bit to the wall thickness of a part, you might increase its durability. On one hand, you are using more resources and energy to produce it, but if you can extend the life of the product by 25%, you're being waaaay greener than if you eliminate 2% of the plastics in construction. Get it? You have to do a lot of learning about what it means to be green and sustainable. It's not always about making something recyclable - even plastics that can be recycled require energy to do so. Maybe you make it out of a material that degrades instead. If it's an electronic product, you can save on energy costs by having an eco-friendly mode/setting. The best/most sustainable products are the ones that can be produced locally and by local workers in order to boost their earnings and economy. Making a product self-sustaining is a great way to be green - a good example of this is the bamboo-bicycle that was started somewhere in the 3rd world (maybe somewhere Africa - but not positive)

It's a great example because it is affordable, easy/quick to produce, it uses a (very) sustainable resource - bamboo can grow a couple of inches a day and is ridiculously strong and pretty light, doesn't contain many (any?) toxins in production, and when the bike is used to the point of destruction, the parts are biodegradable. I'm positive that there are a bunch of other reasons that this qualifies as a sustainable product, but I'd have to do some thinking.

I guess I'm trying to say that the product designer considers the whole problem in its entirety and recognizes an opportunity to make an improvement to people's lives/experiences/profits/whatever. That opportunity is what people(sketchy) often refer to as the "problem." It's not always a problem in the literal sense, but there is usually an opportunity to do something differently, better, or cheaper than the competition.

Also think about packaging, transportation, advertising, and other things that are not directly related to the idea and design of an eco-friendly product. Amazon just set up a sub-site that is dedicated to products that ship in "green" packaging.

Hope this helps.

-Austin Brown

like austin said,

make sure u think about the entire lifecycle of your product.

many 'product designers' have the misconception that an eco friendly product is only when you use natural material like bamboo.

but thats not it.

you need to consider the prodution process, the anount of energy used, the product process, the packaging, the shippping, the afterlife, how is it returned back to nature?

in all honesty i dont think you should start with a sustainability design project, cuz that is extremely hard and you need to TONS of research before you can even start sketching out ideas.

Also, mockup isnt for presentation.

When you do model to present, it should be completed, finished, make it look like something you would see at a local store.

Mockups are models you make during your process of completing your project.

Its a work in progress stage. its not gonna be your final model.

And you will be making more than 1 mockup model.

Maybe even 5, 10, 20. As many as you need.

Guest Austin Brown

My professors call mockups "sketch models". This helped me to understand the usage and purpose of the mockups. They're ideas and concepts that have been pulled off the page in order to help the designer grasp the scale and proportions, and maybe a little bit of the functions of the product. If you build a sketch model, it helps you to bring the orthographic views into proper 3D forms. It will also give you somethign to reference when you begin the next round of sketching. you start saying things like "too tall" or "not round enough" to yourself, and whether conciuosly or not, you begin to edit yourself automatically.

Remember - like a sketch, a sketch model should be "quick and dirty". There's no point in spending a lot of time on it if you know you're going to move past it shortly.

Guest Taro

thx guys for your great infos!

hmm, you all may be right, I really don't have much knowledge in this eco friendly stuff. Whenever ever I sketch something that is eco-friendly, I mostly consider what it is going to do for the environment when it is used, rather then the materials.... productions... the whole cycle. ;/ it is hard.

okay, mockups, quick and dirty? what do you usually make these mockups from? modelling clay?

also, if not eco-friendly, can both of you suggest a catorgory that is suitable for a beginner like me?

thx!!

1 Week Project

Heres your project its due Dec. 20 2008

Theme: Pencil Sharpener

What you will need to do:

1- Research: Current pencil sharpeners, diff types of sharpeners (for ex. is it handheld, electronic, wall plug in, human powered, etc)

who uses it (kids, adults, teachers, etc)

and any other research that you feel is necessary...

2- Ideations / thumbnails: Quick, simple, indications of your forms and ideas. These should have callouts. Black and white only, no color.

3- Refinement: Choose 2-3 ideas that you feel are really strong. And pursue it, refine it, add in the details, figure exact size, shape, and look.

4- Final: Choose 1 of the 3 from the refinement stage, and do a presentation page. This should include a final rendering of your design, as well as features and other info related to your design.

I will not tell you how many pages i want, thats for you to decide.

The only rules and constraints are the ones stated above.

It is up to you to decide how you will get this done.

Oh and this is a fully possible project to do in 1 week.

So i expect to see something that i can fully critique next Saturday Dec. 20. 08

Good Luck!

*i dont expect to see a super crazy fully rendered final image, just do the assignment to the best of your ability

Guest Taro

thx, and I will get started soon.

and yes, I believe this is doable in 7 days, and I'll try my best. Actually, my most confident part of the project is probably the final XD But its not gonna be anywhere near crazy.

anyways I quicky did two sketches, one using the verithin i just got, and one is just a phone idea that is mainly to practice my layouts.

and i know the verithin page's layout sucks, but i was just testing out the pencil ; )

samplesketch001.jpg

verithin001.jpg

Guest Taro

anyways, sketchyd, or anyone that can anwser this question, please help me out.

I've never really done a research before, should the research be done with hand and paper.. writing and drawing down notes? or should it be computer based typing and copy n pasting?

Guest MBW17

good question taro but idk

The sketches are pretty good I like the first page better

I know this is not what u like to draw/not focusing on it too much but ur cars need some attention!! Lol

But keep the sketches coming!

~Mason

Guest Taro

nice to see the live sketching, and i dont really know where to find other ppl's research work, so Ill just do one, and I guess whatever I do wrong, I will know by next week anyways.

anyways, a new practice on layout.

its a card holder.

samplesketch002.jpg

Guest MBW17

very clean

very good layout as well, i can see improvement

keep the sketches coming, ill post some of mine tomm, its getting late...

peace out

Guest Taro

o ya, u live in a different time zone XD alright, hope to see your work tomorrow, peace.

and thx.

Guest Taro

here is a quick and rough research page, does it make any sense? and is it.. okay? lol i personally think the layout and the quality etcetc of the computer page sucks, but Its really late here and I have no brain to think. Yet, I really want to know fast on how to do a research page, I may be able to redo them if anyone give me some fast advice.

original page

sharpener001.jpg

photoshop ugly page

research1copy.jpg

Guest MBW17

I personally think it's a pretty rough layout, and I'd suggest taking a little more time a d making it more clean and professional ... The ellipes look a litttle weird too, but keep sketching!

~Mason

Guest Taro

ya ive been practicing ellipse, and I think i can sometimes get it really good, but when it comes closer and closer to being a full circle, i mess up all the time.

and ya, these were really rough, but I posted up to hear what people would say, as in.. is it really worth time to layout and clean the research? etc etc. Since research are for the information, not for the artistic or design.

so,, anyone wonna give me an idea? perhaps post a few research page up?