Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taro

Taro's Sketching & Rendering

i apologize i coudlnt do a better example

this was done in like 5min so.......... lol

and something is definately wrong with my scanner cuz the quality is terrible!

and also i used pencil... for like the first time in a long time, cuz i didnt have access to a pen on my desk.

but anyways hope this helps, a lil.

OK BACK TO HW NOW........ I DONT THINK IM GONNA FINSIH >_________< SCREWED!

and its my final.... sigh

post-18508-1228960738.jpg

Guest Austin Brown

I've found that it's tough to get a good scan at any resolution when you're scanning pencil. I think it's because there's no way to get black and since the graphite is reflective, the more you add (the darker the tone) the more reflective it is. Everything gets grayed out.

Guest Taro

haha better than my scans ;p my scanner have some serious problems.

anyways, thx alot sketchyd! I have a better idea of it now!

one question is... I didnt have the habit of titleing my work before, and I guess I can always go back and do that. So does that mean there are two titles? One on the left saying the kind of sketch (ideation, render etc) and one on the right stating the name of this piece?

also... I didnt have the habit of putting dates on my work... and I'm guessing it is a little late to do that now??? any solution? lol

thx again for doing a sketch like that.

and i did a test scan.. at 300 dpi so it took like 15 seconds to scan, im guessing it didnt turn out too bad

asdasdas002.jpg

no it doesnt have to be on the 3 corners.

that was just an example.

you can title it anyway u want

but u should always have a title and your name and date.

it doesnt matter where.

make it legible. and dont make it fancy. where the eye is more interested in your title than what you drew.

dont use fancy signatures, cuz it only looks like a graphic. and not your name.

scribble scrabble.

also avoid writing your nickname.

just write your real name, more professional.

and why is your page rotated to the right?

seems kinda weird cuz your geo forms seem to be falling, not good.

use varying lightweight.

cuz those weird shapes u have at the left, dont look like anything at all.

if u used varying line weight u couldve made that look like something even if it was nothing.

Guest Taro

so, for those sketches that I didn't date, do u think I can just go back and estimate when I drew them?

and ya, my bad for those geo shapes, it was just.. I didn't think when I was rotating the page.

and okay, ill try to think of a more professional and readable signature.

and I've heard that you can also date your picture on the back too right? it doesn't have to be at the front? is this true or not??

and my bad for those "shapes" on the left, I didn't explain in my previous post that.. they aren't really suppose to be any shape. It was simply combining the exercises that you and austin gave me; overlapping lines/curves 8 times, and drawing two dots and connecting them. So.. I just made some dots, and then I connected them horizontally 8 times, and then diagonally and so on, then the other ones are just curves. Sorry for making it messy and awkward.

thx for replying in your busy schedule sketchy.

dont worry about my schedule, i reply when i can :]

the ones u didnt date... just forget about it.

just start dating now.

i suggest you dont do signature

you dont need to.

just write ur name plain and simple.

the only time u should do a fancy signature is when u become famous.

and no u cant date the back.

cuz ppl dont look at the back of ure paper

and you wont either.

also for your pages.

its ok to draw watever comes to ure head.

However, try to have a general theme in mind.

for example.

basic theme: camping

with this theme, you can draw tents, boots, backpacks, tools, stoves, utensils, alot of stuff right?

now narrow it down some more for your next page:

specific theme: tools

now you can draw, hammer, wrench, locks, weights, maybe utensils

or another specific theme: backpacks

now you can draw, large bags, small bags, backpacks, front backs, small pouches, tool pouch, clothes bag, sleeping bag

each page should have a general or specific theme, so it looks like you are actually thinking and have some sort of thought process behind it.

Guest Austin Brown

try writing your font in a style that looks like an annotation(that is a callout in a sketch - see Sketchy's example). Architects are really good at writing very, very fast but legibly. This font takes a great deal of practice to master, but it will allow you to communicate your idea without having to come up with a "cool" signature (it's a waste of time anyway - trust me) or cleaning up your writing. I'm sure if you look at some people's sketches on Coroflot you can see their annotations. Sometime's they're clear enough to use in the final presentation, while other times - like when I try, they're a little too messy - but at least they're legible and, more importantly, not distracting.

The viewer should have all the necessary information available to him (lineweight, name, date, colors, form, scale, theme, project name, etc), but it should not be an assault on the senses. The most important part is still the sketch.

-austin

Guest Taro

ok thx, ill draw some .. idea practices, and hope you two can see if the layout is okay.

ill post them tomorrow.

and sketchyd, you've seen Carl Lui's signature right? lol would that count like as a signature or a printed name? lol it looks cool XD

and for your example, camping, is that how you would narrow down your ideas? Or is it just one way that i can practice? Because I often just find that ONE thing to design, rather than narrowing down from a variety of them.

thx!

you HAVE to start with a broad and general idea.

Project:

Start

1st : general theme : camping

draw: everthing related to camping

2nd: sub theme : find soemthign you want to focus on, after doing research, YOU MUST RESEARCH

ex theme: camping gear for kids

3rd: sub theme : competition : draw and research existing camping gear for kids

4th: sub theme : ideation : once you know your competition, identify the problem then provide the solution with ure ideation sketches

draw: sketches under the camping gear for kids theme

5th: refinement : after pages and pages of drawings you should have 2-3 that you really like

draw: details, color choices, material choices, figure out the proportions, etc.

6th: mockups: once you have somewhat finallized sketches, you need to make mockups.

This helps u to phyically understand your product

7th: final design: everything related to final concept

draw: fully render your product, do an explode view if possible, show material that will be in production piece, as well as color choices

write: what your concept is, your design statement, the problem and solution, your research & analysis that backs up your concept and why it looks teh way it does, details regarding concept, such as interface, features, etc.

Guest Taro

thx sketchy, but i don't known what you mean by mock ups.

and what if there were no problems? i just leave it?

also, is it important to figure out all dimensions? or is it okay to just know the general porportion and size.

if there are no problems then you shouldnt be designing something.

the goal of product designers is to identify a problem and provide a solution for it.

mockups = sample models, usually made of yellow foam, blue foam, something easily sculpable or wood for larger scale things.

dimensions are important,

for example, if its for the hand, it needs to fit the dimensions of the hand, you cant just make it look cool.

or a keyboard, if its too small, then you cant push the buttons.

or if its a chair, it needs to fit the dimensions of the body, recline angle, etc.

Guest Taro

dam, i really have no background or previous experience of modeling, or.. i should say, they totally sucked.

and okay, i guess there is always a problem, I just didn't notice them lol.

and hmm, dimensions are pretty hard to do for me, espeically when im designing things with alot of curves.

you will learn to do dimensions by creating mockups.

Mock ups are just really rough models.

Heres the thing.

Sketches and doodles are just scribble scrabble.

BUT it becomes somethign more, once you actually have a though process behind it. Once you identify the problem, do research, analyze, and produce solutions, ONLY THEN are you a product designer.

Without that, you are just sribble scrabbling random shapes and ideas, which is somethign you shouldnt stop doing, as it could help you come up with somethign good and get inspired.

Plus scribble scrabble is how you improve your sketchwork.

Thats your practice time.

Guest Taro

thx sketchy, also nice to see the class is back again!

and ya, well I created this model of this clock that I designed, and it was rough, I didn't refine it lol. And then I went to the portfolio day, and the lady was like.. well our portfolio doesn't require modeling, but if you want to show one, dont show such a rough one ;/

anyways, like i've mentioned before, I'm trying to start a new project. And you said to start broad right? so Im gonna pick environmental products/eco-friendly products... and ya.. im just currently narrowing it down. Im sure you have done many of eco friendly related stuff? is it okay if you tell me some info about it? or what I should watch out for?