Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taro

Taro's Sketching & Rendering

Guest Taro

i think my scanner default is 300, but its weird, the result comes out to look like.. its.. coming out of the faxing machine.

and np, just anytime within the next 100 years, if you have free time, please and thank you!

Guest Austin Brown

I was positive that someone had done a really pro tutorial on how to set up ellipses properly. Check it here and let me know if there are any questions. Besta luck. This is good enough that I should give it a quick check myself to polish up.

Guest Taro

thx austin! checking on it now!

btw, i went to the portfolio day last weekend, did you went to one of them?

apparently, one of my biggest problem is that I write and draw too small, comparing to what they want; 80-90% of the page should be covered.

anyways, working on the ellipse, ill post some stuff soon.

and I'm planning on adding an eco-friendly design into my portfolio, any ideas?

Guest Taro
like i said in one of my lectures. . . Fill up the page :]

yup! lol im trying to do that now. The lady that told me that was the assistant director of ACCD, and im guessing that's what they teach you in the very beginning? lol

one problem is that when i draw big, it seems less detailed, and the letters seems ugly when i write them bigger.

fillin up the page is more for ideation, thumbnail, sketch pages

its not about drawing big

but about brainstorming ideas.

you should at least have 10 ideas per page, on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

and about 20 for 11x17.

Guest Taro

thx sketchyd, just wondering, when your doing your project for school, how many pages does it usually take? without the researching, just design to final hand render. Or, how many pages was your longest and shortest project? (im just curious)

and I did some random sketches again, trying to practice some cars, and just lines, i got really bad at the lines just because i didn't practice for.. 3 days...

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

Guest MBW17

ok well the ellipses are all wacked out on the top car on the 2nd page, the first page bottom right, and the noodle things look a little weird too...keep sketching tho, and keep posting, practice practice practice!!!

and i like the line weight! :(

Guest Austin Brown

It looks like the warm-up excercises are going really well for you. Those circles are nice and round, and the lines are really consistent. All you need to do now is keep it up long enough to get to the point where you're comfortable and practice often enough that you don't lose it. I think I recognize those cars from a tutorial :(

Try using the elements from that tutorial - light construction lines, exaggerated perspective, exaggerated proportions, etc - in one of your own designs. It's hard to practice ellipses when the tutorial stretches and skews them so much. Even if it's the same as the tutorial, it will look wierd anyway.

Go easy on the arrows too. They're really easy to overwork, because they're fun to play with. Problem is, they're not the most important part of the design. Not by a long shot.

SketchyD is right. I see that you've used the center of each page, but there's a whole lot left around the sides for thumbnails, details, callouts, annotations, parctice - you name it. The bottom page makes better use f the whole sheet, but there's still room to work some more. If you want to do a rendering, leave the page relatively empty. If you want to sketch, fill up the page with everything you can think of, because you'll want to remember it later, and you won't be able to otherwise.

Good job on your portfolio review - hope you take it to heart. It's pretty tough to get professional advice on things like portfolios, because people rarely have the time to help out.

Good luck,

-austin

Guest Taro

lol yup, the first car ( the left one) was like completely out of there, lol and the second car, i swear to god, I didn't look at a tutorial, and maybe thats why it looks so wide lol.

and thx, I've been just sketching, when I can get ideas, I draw them, when I can't, I do these line and circles and blahblahblah.

I've never really done exaggerated perspective with products yet, I've tried and cars and failed. I figured I must understand the 'normal' perspective first? lol

Oh ya, if you see anything that is like.. weird, such as the first page, its just.. really another form of the 3rd page lol, but forming them together. Absolutely no thoughts put into those except for "i want to get better" so sorry if the page layout is bad and etc etc.

I will practice more and more on these, and also trying to change the habit of using only the center of my pages. I think it was a habit I picked up doing art before, It's always nice to keep your stuff in the middle ^^ lol

anyways, thx for all your comments! expecting some more tomorrow.

thx sketchyd, just wondering, when your doing your project for school, how many pages does it usually take? without the researching, just design to final hand render. Or, how many pages was your longest and shortest project? (im just curious)

The shortest complete project i did was 1 week (class at PCC)

I had about 20 pages of sketches from ideation to final render (8.5x11in)

The Average project (class at ACCD)

Fills up about 1 itoya portfolio for me (11x17in)

But this includes research, ideation, and render.

As for those 3 sketches u just put up.

First off, dont center your sketches.

And make as much use of the paper as you can.

Make sure you have heiracrchy = Have 1 2 3 read.

So that not all of your sketches are saying 'LOOK AT ME TOO'

Cuz then people dont know where to look first.

ALso the reason centered sketches are bad is cuz, the eye goes straight to that sketch.

Even if its something u dont want the viewer to look at, the eye will naturally do that.

Also try, drawing with more confidence.

your lines show a lack of that at the moment.

Confident lines will look clean.

Once my break officially starts, ill post up alot of new breaktime sketchwork.

Guest Austin Brown

Great advice SketchyD!

To expand on the idea of not centering things -

If your piece is just a millimeter off center, it may as well be a mile. It will look like a mistake, and it can destroy or tarnish any cool ideas that are present in your concept, because the viewer naturally discredits you a little bit.(this is mostly subconcious, it's not like everyone is a jerk) Having the focus in the center is static. The viewer will look at it and say "OK - cool. Now what?"

However, if it is clearly meant to be off to the side, then it's not going to look like a mistake. The same goes for layouts, text, photos, etc. A lopsided piece is actually usually more balanced than one with a focal point in the center - but that took me a whole semester to grasp, so I'll let it ride.

Having a focal point off to the side also draws your eye across the page, instead of straight to the center. This makes the whole thing seem more dynamic and thus interesting.(careful though, if the focus is on the edge of the page, it will draw your eye clean off the page) Having the user be interested in the dynamism of the sketch has the oppostite effect of the first example. The user gets excited about jumping from focal point to focal point, sketch to sketch. They become involved.

This is why cars/products that are drawn in perspective look so much better than side shots. They draw your eye from the corner along the flank, over the roof, across the hood, into the headlight etc. It keeps the viewer guessing.

Hope this sheds some light on layouts.

-austin brown

Guest Taro

thx sketchyd, and one itoya portfolio is like.. 48 pages isnt it? lol nice.

The longest one I have right now is only about 19 or 20 pages.

I agree, great advice and info sketchyd, I'm gonna try to fix these bad habits, and hmm, I need to find out myself the difference between drawing freely/randomly and drawing with confidence. Sometimes, when I think that I can do a sketch (i guess its call confidence), I usually mess up on my lines.

@austin. thx for adding in , gives me more understanding on the reason for not centering.

so.. my question and request to both of you if possible, is there ever a situation that it is better to center?

also, if anyone has free time, can you please do a centered sketch, and a not centered sketch? thx! I think I can understand a lot better with images.

Guest Austin Brown

I'm sure that there are a lot of merits to centering the sketch/subject. Problem is - it's really hard to get it right - between perspective, centering it perfectly, etc. Then you have to consider that if there's a lot going on in part of the subject, it can move the "center" by drawing your eye to one side. Take the camera sketch I did - even if it was centered, the lens would draw your eye to the bottom right corner and off the page, so all the action would be on the right side, making the object look off-center.

It's usually just easier to pass up all the confusion and either fill up the page or move the subject to the side.

If you want to add a lot of drama/focus to the sketch, you can try to center it, but it has to be done right. If you look at movies, the action is rarely centered - unless the director wanted some heavy-duty drama. The action/actors are usually moving from side to side to keep the viewer scanning the screen and interested.

Make sense? I'll try to look through my sketches sometime, but I am really busy lately.

-austin