Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taro

Taro's Sketching & Rendering

Guest Taro

finally, got around doing some sketching instead of project works.

these are not all, so Ill post other ones later.

If anyone actually wondered why i used pencil crayon, it was because during class, i used my friends' black pen, then we had to take notes, so he wanted it back. Then all i could find was these crappy pencil crayons in my binder lol.

sorry for the bad quality.

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

Guest Austin Brown

I'd say that for an unfamiliar and (for me) intimidating medium, you did a good job. The ellipse that points up in the second image look a whole lot better than some of the older stuff. The one on its side still needs some work. The line control is pretty good, but you should try to draw more loosely and expressively. The curved, dynamic lines in the last image are a lot more interesting than the accurate (or inaccurate) ones in the other images. I did a watch concept in college and I feel like you and I must have drawn almost the exact same sketches. Lol! :blink:

Oh well. Keep it up and work on the tougher ellipses in perspective.

-austin

your geo shapes.

for some reason are looking very um....... bubbly.

as if theres a small fillet, radius, curve whatever u call it on all the edges.

all 6 of them seem to have the same problem.

im not really sure why though.

unless of course you meant to do that.

Guest Taro

thx austin, ill try that lol, and haha i believe there r thousands of sketches that looks similar to this one lying around everywhere! lol

sketchyd, havent seen u commenting for awhile XD and hmm i know what you mean, and i sumtimes do that because i messed up. I would draw the line, but it doesnt always end at the correct point, so then i put a little curve on it to make up for it. lol... sorry ;/

Guest Austin Brown

practice! you can get your hand to put the end of that line where you want it but it takes a lot of practice.

One trick i've learned is to do the following:

1: put a quick dot at the start

2: immediately put a dot at the end

3: then draw a quick line - without thinking too hard about it - from the first dot to the second

this is the same motion as the two dots, except you don't lift your pen off the page when you do it. Better to practice with random lines first, because it's not going to be perfect without a bit of practice. After a couple of pages full of that, you will probably see a noticeabe improvement, but you have to do it before you sketch every time...kinda sucks. at least until you can do it automatically.

hope this helps you - it did wonders for me. :clapping:

-austin

Guest Taro

lol, ya WINTERBREAK! cant wait till that, school admission would be done XD, time for a real break ^^

can't wait till the 'activities' ; ) perhaps some new assignments? lol

austin, thank you for this method, I've actually told by someone else, i forgot who, to do this, but it was awhile ago, at that time, i couldnt even draw a clean, smooth line. Therefore, i gave up. I guess it's time to pick this up again, Ill do a few pages, then post it up!

thx!

Guest Austin Brown

So...remember when I talked about the ellipse tricks?

Well, I finally got around to working out some semblance of a camera in parspective. Not perfect, I know, but I tried to utilize lineweight, perspective, and a tiny bit of shading to make a useful sheet. Let me know if you have any questions about this page. You'll recognize it from the post on page 2.

post-19229-1228370904.jpg

-Austin

Guest Taro

wow, u still remember, thx very much!

I get wut u mean by drawing a circle in square, then putting the square in perspective to draw the circle. But i still dont get wut u mean pull and push, and the relationship of the major&minor axis (which one is pointing where?)

Guest Austin Brown

Taro,

I get confused with all these terms myself. I'm quite possibly(probably) wrong, but this explanation can serve a start that someone else can correct if need be. IF you imagine a wheel drawn in perspective...*imagine*...there are two lines that help you construct it - in addition to the box.

One of these is the minor axis. It is the line that connects the two sides of the ellipse by the shortest possible distance. Imagine it pulling in on the sides of a circle to squish it into an ellipse shape. This line is (i believe) the same as the axle in a car. that is to say that it points our of the circle perpendicular to the wheel face. The angles on the page are kind of hard to visualize, but in real life this is what's happening. This line is often close to the line drawn from the two nearer corners of the construction box but DON'T get them confused. Mixing these up will result in ellipses that are about as weird as those that people draw with no idea what they're doing.

The other is the major axis. This is the one that connects the furthest sides of the ellipse (it's longer than the minor axis - hence the name). This is another confusing point, but IF I'm not mistaken, I believe that this will always be perpendicular to the minor axis (not positive, though). This is the line that stretches the circles sides to turn it into an ellipse.

(I think I reversed these in the sheet I scanned - sorry! :blush: ) Just think about it and it should make sense anyway.

If you follow this, your ellipses should be at least oriented the right way, but making them quickly and correctly is another story.

Hope this helps!

-austin

Guest Taro

Here are some stuff, I dont know what made me want to sketch a vehicle... lol I havent done it in like 5000 years.

anyways, here is a basic marker practice, a lawn/yard mower, and some F1 racing car lol.

the marker, i did about 5 month ago, and i did these two vehicle today during English class.

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

Guest Austin Brown

I won't say much about the markering because it's so old. Basically, just move the core shadow on the sphere toward the table, it looks like a black hula hoop around the middle of the ball. The cube was a good start but you didn't bother to finish the mid-tone side. You did two lines and then quit.

Great job on the whole though. The consistency and smoothness are pretty good.

Do you have access to a scanner by any chance? It will help make your sketches much clearer on the screen. Or perhaps your camera has a setting for shooting documents?

The ellipse on the wheel of the lawnmower/bumper car/zamboni thing :ermm: is almost spot on in its orientation, but the overall ellipse shape isn't quite there. The upper right segment has a too-straight line that's distracting. Good attempt though - almost there.

I'd suggest you do an overlay of the racecar and give the ellipses another few tries. The perspective of the body of the car seems fairly accurate but the ellipses are way off. The (smaller) ones that define the hub of each wheel loook like they're a lot closer to what you're looking for - but they're vertical. Turn them a few degrees counter clockwise and they'll look better.

Good luck

-austin

Guest Taro

thx austin, hmm its really my first few attempts on transportation.

is it okay if u maybe copy and paste my drawing onto photoshop or sumthing? and just roughly tell me where they should go? if possible, can you please include major n minor axis? thx!

and i dont know, my scanner is pretty rough ill say, wut resolution or w/e do u usually scan on? and how long does it usually take? when i try to scan on higher resolution, it takes like hours?

Guest Austin Brown

Monitors rarely display at more than 90 something DPI. If you're just throwing a sketch online, then I'd say nothing over 200. If you plan on photoshopping it or reprinting it later, definitely go with the highest setting you can stand time-wise. It never hurts to have too many pixels, because you can scale down whenever you want. Up is a little harder though. :)

I'm pretty busy this weekend but I might be able to help out really quick. No promises...

-austin