Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taro

Taro's Sketching & Rendering

Guest Austin Brown

I imagine that with all the different formulations of ink out there, there'd be quite a few that smudge less, and I assume someone would have come up with one that doesnt smudge by now. If you want to splurge on a nice pen, I like to use Cross Pens for a number of reasons. They're gorgeous, heavy, perfectly balanced, refillable, and they seem to smudge a whole lot less than other "dry" ink pens - Like Bic crystals, etc.

post-19229-1227507809.jpg

Careful though, they're quite slippery and easy to lose. Well worth it though if you can hold onto it for at least a few months. They won't make you sketch any better, but I'll be darned if they don't make you feel like you're 10 times better.

austin

Guest Taro

=o a pen that would make me FEEL 10x better? XD lol

ill check it out at a local store or sumthing, i really like my pen right now, its perfect... until the rendering part lol.

anyways, thx austin, im gonna go n do sum sketches n post em up lol

Guest Austin Brown

sounds good. If you're in the US, you can snag one at an office max/ office depot or staples.

Guest Taro

im in Canada, but ya, we have staples XD lol

o ya, Austin, do you know what would be a cheap, but heavy metal?

and i dont have this kind of knowledge, but is it possible to compress materials so that two exactly same looking object, both in size and apperance, can have different mass?

Guest Austin Brown

Go out and grab a nice pen. I spend more time playing with it in class than listening(not good huh?). It's really comfortable and I think it's balanced close to 50-50. sooo nice

As far as cheap metal - I used to work at a body-shop and we used to throw out scrap steel in the dumpster out back. That's about as cheap as you can get, but maybe ask the manager for it instead of digging through his trash - it's not polite :(:P . Make sure you grab steel though, as most of the other metal will shatter instead of bending. You can also pick up cheap steel stock at a neighborhood hardware store or industrial supply place. What do yo need to do with it?

Ummmm. I know that some materials can be manufactured under (ridiculously)high compression to be somewhat more dense (fractionally or a lot? - I have no idea). But it seems that this would involve some pretty intense manufacturing tinkering to jockey with the pressure and such in a mold. A good example of this is the difference between a little rubber bouncy ball and a lacrosse ball. One is soft enough to squeeze a little bit, while the other is dense enough to go through a car window like it was water. I'd assume that the same properties are present in plastics and composites, but metals are all pretty dense. You could look into blow-molding, gas-assist molding, or roto-molding for plastics, because these allow for a hollow part with an enclosed outer surface. I dunno about other materials though... Maybe rubber. Again - what's the premise for this question? It'll help me answer clearly.

hope this helps - I'm not an authority on the topic by any means.

-austin

Guest Skint

I will chip in a little here too if I may Austin. Taro, its a tricky question without knowing exactly what you intend to do with the metal and how heavy do you need it ? Obviously a cube made from aluminium is going to be considerably lighter than a same size cube made from Steel. If it is a complex shape you are looking to have made then mayeb look at Zinc, pretty heavy and maluable.

A bit more info on your intentions and we may be able to give you more ideas.

Guest Taro

thx for the info guyz!

well, i was thinking.. lets say for example, dumbells.

what if there were 10 identicles dumbell, same in size and appearance, but weights differently?

is that possible to do without spending a bunch of money?

also, is it possible so that its made with the same material? not like.. aluminum and steel, but steel n steel.. or sumthing.

Guest Nephtis

If you use a sand casting technique or something, you could make them hollow by using a core. So you would be using less material when the inside chamber would be larger.

See below for a metal casting sand-die with cores to give you an idea. This technique can be used on a large scale of up to 10k / 20k pieces. If you aren't familiar with the process.

post-6873-1227688305.jpg

If you aren't familiar with the process: it's a form of metal casting in which a mold is produced by sand. The sand is reusable and one mold will last 1 shots. You can make hollow cambers with cores also made of sand. The sand is pressed in shape by a metal die in the shape of you product. They take the finished product out by shaking the sand out of the box.

Guest Taro

hmm thx, even tho I still dont get it that clearly.

does that mean my finish project will be made out of compressed sand? sorry im stupid at this kinda stuff lol

in terms of dumbells, like I said previous, would it work? Im not going for a huge range of weight, maybe just 1kg to 8kg, all in same size and material, suitable for body building.

Guest Austin Brown

Taro,

Interesting idea...The first problem that I see is that the user would have to read numbers or somehow distinguish between very similar objects. Onee reason that dumbells are the way they are is because they come in pairs of different sizes. I guess you could color code them, but of they were all the same size, shape, color, etc, it would be likey that the user would pick up a mismatched pair and drop one on his toes :shocking:

But...if you have a way to move this forward - I am sure that there are a few ways around these issues - I'll try to explain the process of sand casting to you.

When you mold a PLASTIC part - you squirt plastic into a metal mold at high temperatures and pressures - injection molding. Pretty much the thing that gives us most of the products we use day-to-day.

When you use metal, it is often cast - either in a plaster mold or, as nephtis stated, a sand die. Basically, a sand die is a one-time-use mold that can be used to make hollow parts out of metal without having to weld or machine them. It's a bunch of sand and binding that yields a pretty stiff die when compressed. (Think of what happens when you squeeze snow into a snowball.) Your part would be made out of metal - probably steel, but the options are many. If you look at the picture he provided, you can see that the metal, when poured in the die would fill the holes, but would flow AROUND the cores(the yellow-orange bars) leaving you with a part that has a hollow center - like a pipe or another plumbing fixture. When your metal cools, you can hit the part with a hammer and cause the sand to disintegrate - back to...sand essentially. (This is like when you smack someone in the face with a snowball - it crumbles.)

By varying the thickness and shape of the core, you could theoretically create a set of dumbells that shared the same exterior dimensions, but due to the varied "hollowness" (probably not a real word but you get the picture) they's be of different weights. As far as how big you'd need to go and such, you'll need to do some heavy duty math for that - and I am not the guy to help with this.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

-austin

Guest Taro

well math is obviously not a problem for me, but in terms of a high school portfolio, im not looking forward to decimal point accuracy calculations of how this work.

thank all of you for these info, and thx austin, i have a better idea of what this molding thing is about now, i also get what you mean by hollowness.

I was thinking sorta the same b4, as in some part will have the core filled up 100%, yet some only fills up 50%. I was also thinking to adjust the weight of dumbells by filling up stuff, like.. sand or sumthing (although thats way too much work for dumbells lol)

in terms of reading the correct weight, its only a lil bit of an issue. Because I can simply put a big 5, or 4 or 8 or sumthing on the face of the weight. In the gym, say like.. 12 and 15 pounds looks pretty similar, and even if they look big, i still have to go and read what it actually weights. So what i mean is, the majority of people will read the weight number before picking it up. ;p the only bad thing about this is for those ppl who wants to show off their big muscles :P srry for them, they r gonna look exactly like they r doing those 1 kg.

Guest Austin Brown

But that shrimp in the corner will look like he's pumping iron with the big boys. :P

Guest Taro

makes him feel better ; )

because I actually know many people that doesn't want to do fitness stuff becasue they dont want to be embarassed ;p

This is not really an issue, but just personal feelings.

Plus ^^ a real man will show his strenghy by showing his muscles, not showing how big his dumbells are XD

Guest Skint

If this is what your aim is, then I doubt you are going to get a series of weights which are the same shape/size as each other just by hollowing the cores. You may be able to achieve it from say 2Kg to 1Kg ( The core removes 50% material used in the casting ), but to apply the same theory on a lot of various sizes is eventually going to fail unfortunatly. Casting processes are not as simple as they seem, material thickness, consistensy, density etc all play a part in a stable casting.

Do you have certain amount of these weights that you want to produce ?

You may be able to get quite a few the same size shape, but along the line somewhere you would have to use different techniques and materials. Start with Aluminium for the wimps in the corner :P and move onto Tungsten Carbide for the Schwarzenneggers posing by the mirrors :)

Guest Taro

LMFAO ok man

well thats not what I really mean anyways, i was just saying that.

These are mainly for 'home' purposes, because i find that mine takes up too much space compare to the old ones i had awhile ago, and i sumtimes even run my toes into it OUCH.

And home working out doesnt need the intensity, its mainly to save space... and maybe others, ill tell u when i think of it ;p so... i would say range from 1kg - 6kg is that possible.