Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taro

Taro's Sketching & Rendering

Guest Taro

yah he still teaches, but as far as i know, he teaches entertainment classes.

and yah i see what you mean, its just that our teacher encourages us to do curves like.. bit by bit instead of going over the whole curve in one stroke, so that may be the reason.

btw, do you know kidong and liang?

Guest Kaiyuan
yah he still teaches, but as far as i know, he teaches entertainment classes.

and yah i see what you mean, its just that our teacher encourages us to do curves like.. bit by bit instead of going over the whole curve in one stroke, so that may be the reason.

btw, do you know kidong and liang?

Kidong was a veteran of the class I'm taking right now. D:< I wish I got to meet him. he's freaking good.

Dunno about liang, but I think he's also a veteran of Tony's class?

Taro, I would suggest not sketching zillions of things which look somewhat average and hard to memorize. Maybe concetrate on one thing you love most, whether a piece of electronics or a car interior, you pick, and then `attack it` and design it in details, and then allow your mind to smooth it out, imagine how would you change nuances in it. Play in nuances and try to define where is this design place where the magic happens. You will see that the magic happens continuously carving out the ugly and finetuning . Imagine how they were carving out from a clay lexus LFA, cutting a millimiter by milimiter from hood slope, then wandering with their eyes around and comparing it to the rear and other elements. The magic of Lexus or Acura doesn`t happen in elegant swooshes on napkins, it happens in a continuous struggle where designers attack the limits of proportions, cutting out milimiter by milimitter, or adding some....

Guest tarngerine

[moderated] Please watch your language.

===

Taro: sketching is aiite. Don't mean to be blunt, but the designs are ugly. For example, the blimp-like aircraft is so bulbous that the tiny wings and back and propeller make it look super ridiculous, like it belongs in a cartoon. Dunno how you're approaching designing these things, but you should take into account visual mass/proportions, especially for entertainment stuff (i.e. not grounded in real physics, etc). Working them out through silhouette thumbnails will help a lot.

Maybe you have and you aren't showing it, but I'd suggest sketching these aircrafts out loosely to figure out proportions, shapes, etc, before you commit to a perspective drawing. It will make the end result so much better/not waste your time drawing something that's gross.

Guest Taro
Taro, I would suggest not sketching zillions of things which look somewhat average and hard to memorize. Maybe concetrate on one thing you love most, whether a piece of electronics or a car interior, you pick, and then `attack it` and design it in details, and then allow your mind to smooth it out, imagine how would you change nuances in it. Play in nuances and try to define where is this design place where the magic happens. You will see that the magic happens continuously carving out the ugly and finetuning . Imagine how they were carving out from a clay lexus LFA, cutting a millimiter by milimiter from hood slope, then wandering with their eyes around and comparing it to the rear and other elements. The magic of Lexus or Acura doesn`t happen in elegant swooshes on napkins, it happens in a continuous struggle where designers attack the limits of proportions, cutting out milimiter by milimitter, or adding some....

i agree and disagree.

Ill probably do a concentrated project when Im on a break, right now, all the works I posted are from school, and that is ALOT of work.

Taro: sketching is aiite. Don't mean to be blunt, but the designs are ugly. For example, the blimp-like aircraft is so bulbous that the tiny wings and back and propeller make it look super ridiculous, like it belongs in a cartoon. Dunno how you're approaching designing these things, but you should take into account visual mass/proportions, especially for entertainment stuff (i.e. not grounded in real physics, etc). Working them out through silhouette thumbnails will help a lot.

Maybe you have and you aren't showing it, but I'd suggest sketching these aircrafts out loosely to figure out proportions, shapes, etc, before you commit to a perspective drawing. It will make the end result so much better/not waste your time drawing something that's gross.

I don't know why, but I don't see it as an ugly design. When we design these things, basically just a couple pages of ideation, then getting onto it. I have to clear something up first, this is not from a design class, we are really just building shapes, learning symmetry, lineweight, etc etc.

especially for entertainment stuff

Aren't entertainment stuff all really crazy?

Last thing is, just a quote from one of the teacher, he said .. do what you can within the time you are given, and that is called time managing. So there really isn't a point on spending hours and hours and hours and hours to really design something that is meant to be an sketching exercise, on top of that is, I didn't think it was ugly, no one else has told me it's ugly, in fact, they said the opposite.

Thank you for your comment though, I take everything into consideration, I just didn't thought it would be to a point where it's ugly.

Guest tarngerine

I know it's not a drawing class: doesn't mean you shouldn't be designing, though. You are aiming to be a product designer in the end.

Entertainment stuff is not always crazy. Look at Wall-E, Incredible designs: not crazy. Very simple shapes (sorry, I can only think of Disney examples at the moment ==). There's tons of different styles. I'm not telling you to spend hours designing. Silhouetting should take very little time. Just to find the overall shape you like. But those ships you are drawing do fall into the realm of entertainment (more than any other category of design)

I dunno. Beauty is subjective. Just not really flying with me. Who knows, maybe I'm an idiot.

But again, sketching is pretty solid.

Guest Taro

nah i dont really think the design I have is anywhere near a beautiful one, I just want to understand why it's ugly in your eyes. If someone think it's ugly, then there must be something that really bothers.

And I'm not sure if this is an excuse or perhaps maybe an explanation, but I am kind of seperated from all the product guys for the viscom class .. because I have schedule conflict. Therefore, I am put into an entertainment class where everyone goes pretty wild when it comes to planes and tanks; versus the product class where they really really focus on getting the overall symmetry in, plotting every single points, making sure it looks exactly what it should look like in all views.

Well, if you want to design things you need to know certain physics behind it, otherwise it turns out to be just a cartoon character from `Family Guy`,. Airplanes don`t have jet engines and propellers at the same time because both are supposed to work at different speeds. What would you suggest be the function of propeller when jet engines propel your plane to say 900 km/h? propeller is too tiny, too far away from the fuselage( don`t tell me it`s a turbofan), the fuselage is a mess, the rudder is too tiny, what engines can be of square shape in wings, etc? if you push entertainment, exagerrate more, if you design real life product, apply rules:))))))))))))))

Guest tarngerine

I would actually take being in an Entertainment class as an opportunity to expand on your form language/visualization abilities. If you always draw products, you will always be limited by what is already out there. Entertainmetn design forces you to think outside the box and draw inspiration from eclectic sources. IT will make your form language much richer when you go back to designing products.

Well, it's really ugly to me because of the its proportions. The shapes that you chose don't match with each other. If you are gonna go for a bulbous playful cartoon plane, go for it all the way. Don't add these sharp shape parting lines.

Guest Taro
if you push entertainment, exagerrate more

lol, I think as far as entertainment goes, anything could be entertainment. It's like, if you see a spaceship in starwars or in a video game, are you going to go question how it works because parts of missing?

I agree with you though, things could definately be pushed way further, but let me explain the process of making the sketch.

We first make an orthographic drawing, then transfer it into perspective xyz plain, then plot the points as if I was a modelling software. It basically gets to a point where its hard for my eyes to even keep track of the lines, so pushing it far with such a limited time is almost impossible. If I had a chance, I would definately redesign the thing though.

How about the spaceship I posted along with the planes? I didn't plot that one and it was just for fun, so I could go as far as I want.

---------------------------

okay, I see what you mean now. It's weird because in the ortho drawing, it seemed pretty cool.

anyways, I'll post my final drawings soon.