Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taro

Taro's Sketching & Rendering

Guest Taro

thx for being so encouraging.

after finish reading all that, despite my lack of skills, I believe that my BIGGEST problem is that.. I don't have that .. desire to become a car designer.

On the otherhand, I want to be a product designer much more, and has worked really hard couple months ago for several months to get my first step (college).

honestly, I jjust awnt to draw cars because they look cool, and... I don't know why.. but people seem to appreciate alot more then some products. Like friends at school, which technically does not understand anything about sketching and designing, would say "wow, nice car." versus... when they see a water bottle.. "why are you drawing water bottles?"

ill keep working though! thx

Guest Gringoire

Don't let them get you down... if there is only one person in this world that loves bottles then it's worth doing it... If you love to draw bottles I would love to see them and maybe... in the future buy myself a coke and say : Nice job Taro... your bottle has the best grip on my hand... it doesn't slip... If it is bottles, then let it be bottles and show us what you can do...!

Guest Taro

thx, i am thinking about going back to product sketching now, but also doing a little bit of car a day... I'm not exactly sure if car is something that i will just keep drawing and drawing and get it.

anyways, bottle was just an example, but I do love them : ) so many ellipses involved.

--------------------

anyways, anyone who saw that LG future phone competition ... or simply anyone who wants to throw in some info .. what do you think about future cell phone?

me and my other friends had discussed a bit, and I am pretty sure right now that the size of the future cell phone will not change. In fact, it can only get bigger, not smaller. I can't really imagine smaller cell phones that would fit into our hands nicely. ( i can't believe how many kids at school drop their tiny ipods everyday... arent they getting a bit too small? )

Guest Taro

phone ideas

I am not satisfied with what I thought of, so hopefully I can come up with more

phone015.jpg

Guest Taro

If anyone has been visiting idsketching, they are having a competition that gives out the latest sketchbook pro.

I sketch a couple ideas down on earphones, and I still need to confirm if earphones are okay. (since topic was headphones)...

I have to admit here :

- i suck at drawing shoes

- i am not so good at people atm

- why are earphones so round?

ya.. 3 things that I cant really draw happened to fit in 1 page! sorry and excuse me for the crapiness of the sketch.

In my last year of highschool (this year), I've noticed that teenagers tend to favor things that sticks out, even if they look totally awkward. I personally favor my yellow and black air force I : ) ------ So I thought... rather than keep designing the earphone heads(which no one looks at), I want to start from adding ideas to the wires! (something that will lead others to look at the earphone heads).... so on

hope this rough sketch is understandable.. again. excuse the bad sketching skill

please give me some ideas and comments and anything you need to say

earphone016.jpg

Guest Taro

some earphones

i don't like the layout ;/ when ever I try to put in alot of things, it gets messy.

earphone017.jpg

i like the layout of the earphones, i think having them development sketches to the right is fine. but if you where to edit the center image with colour or a 3D model rendering it would stand out more.

Guest MBW17

hmm the sketches are nice!

i think im gonna give to contest a try too

got a question tho, why use shoes for the back?

Guest Taro

thx for the tip scorpio, ill try that, even though i am not an expert at rendering so it might screw it up even more.

------------------------------

mason

the idea kinda went from...

1. think of cool ideas for the wire

to

2. using sweater laces as the wires

to

3. shoelaces

to

4. shoes lol

mainly because people have been commenting on my shoes, saying that they like itXD

I have a pretty big question/assignment for you.

I noticed you like to draw 'futuristic' things.

But what does "future' mean to you?

How would you define it?

Actually can you make a page on what Future means to you?

like a standard 8.5x11 page showing us what "futuristic" is.

(Have pictures, text, sketches, whatever you need and want that would clearly communicate "futuristic")

And by us seeing that page, I should be able to connect that page to your "futuristic designs" that you have come up with in the past and understand and see that your stuff are indeed "futuristic"

Looking forward to it, goodluck

Guest Taro

thx

before I sketch anything, I just want to 'try' to define it in words.

First of all, I like the design futuristic things because when I try to design somthing that suits today's world, it usually seems like another copy of something that exists already. Unconciously, I copy the existing stuff. However, I think at least 7/8 of my projects in my portfolio are suited for the present. If you are interested at all, I can show you some online, or I'll just show you when I am at L.A.

--FUTURE-- as I define

- things that does not exist right now. If people are designing square laptops, I sometimes look to sketch some circle ones, etc etc, I hope you get the idea XD

this is actually a hard topic, because I don't really notice that most of my sketches are futuristic. It might be just my drawing style??

I guess a sketch might work better : p I'll work on it and post it up soon.

just wondering... it is not a bad thing right? I mean sketches that are always futuristic.

its not bad to design for the future.

but just because you are doing something different, doesnt make it futuristic.

also you should try see how far into the future you are gonna be designing for.

For example... lets take your latest 'futuristic cell phone' concept

Q: What makes this product futuristic?

As a viewer(myself) If you showed me this and told me it was a futuristic phone concept.

i would look at you with a puzzled look and say "huh? how? I dont get it."

-------------

The technology you showed in your sketch, none of it really is "futuristic"

Also i told this to mason before but, trying to create an All-in-one device is alot harder.

Instead you should focus on one concept and one idea.

For example, for the exact same page.

you wrote, "My goal is to make cellphone more like a friend through..."

(not sure what AL is though)

If i were you, i would change your concept and focus, and try to create a cellphone that is NOT futuristic but as a 'friend or companion' type phone.

By doing so.

You now are open to lots of opportunities to explore.

Rather than your false understanding of what futuristic is supposed to be.

For example.

How would you define a friend?

What do friends do? What makes someone a friend?

Do you want to create a phone that connects you with your friends?

OR

Is the phone itself your digital friend?

What kind of forms are considered friend or foe?

Would a really sharp, angular shape look friendly? or would something that was more soft and rounded work betteR?

What differentiates someone from being a friend or an aquaintance?

At what age is it easiest to make friends?

Maybe this phone could help people who have a hard time introducing themselves or making friends, easier.

Maybe the phone itself is an icebreaker that people can use.

The questions you need to ask yourself are endless, but YOU NEED to ask yourself these type of questions.

So that your design and concept isnt complete BS.

One concept, one idea.

DO the research BEFORE the idea

This will lead you to a much better product design.

As you RESEARCH and ask yourself new questions that come up BECAUSE of your research.

Your concept will finally begin to develop into something interesting.

Unfortunately, what you are doing now, is pulling designs out of thin air, with Absolutely NO information to back it up.

Hopefully this long session helped you to understand how important the research and development phase is.

Guest Taro

thx for the lecture, I learned something, but I also have a few points that I would like to discuss (not argueing)

I have to clarify that I don't usually make them look futuristic on purpose, it is just how I draw.

And I define future as in something that hasn't happened yet, or simply a product/function that does not exist. A friend-like phone would be something that does not exist. Now to look back, maybe "futuristic" was the worse word to describe that idea/sketch.

--------------------------------------

As in pulling designs out of thin air, what if they were just sketches? So.. I 'might' continue on with the idea if something good come up, otherwise it is purely a sketch to train my skill.

Also, are you saying that designs that comes out from thin air can't be interesting?

---------------------------------

thx for keep repeating that research phase is really important, i keep forgetting, sorry.

I tend to ask those questions later in the process.

Anyways, how would you usually do a research on phone? What kinds of things are 'worth' researching? Another thing to consider is... how trusty is the internet?

I am not sure if you've heard the story of how human beings eats like.. 4 spiders or w/e a year during their sleep? Well, after a year or something, the guy confessed that he spread this rumour, and everyone began to believe it. He was simply doing a test on how much people give into internet. .. ALOT.

opps, i think i've lost my point

but thx alot 'bro' : ) I remembered that the first research I did.. was on my second project.. about compact digital camera for artists and designers. I spent hours trying to learn about those... every since then, I hated research.