Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Maon W.

New Memeber's Sketches

Guest MBW17

I don't know about a desktop, I move stuff and my desk area is cluttered so sometimes I have to move my comp and such, and I would rather have something portable..

Guest MBW17

Got a Macbook! So glad too, liking it so far.

Sketching a lot lately, will try to get some stuff up soon..

Guest Kaiyuan

Your lineweight seems like you're just outlining things normally.

Line weight is either supposed to:

a ) Draw attention to a specific surface/part of the car

b ) Express a characteristic that makes the car stand out

c ) Give more emotion/depth to the sketch.

d ) Bring out details in your design.

The last 2 posts are probably the most non-flat sketches i have ever seen from you.

That said, its still reading flat, but i can see little hints of form change, which is good.

Your last sketch, the side view, the proportions look identical to your past cars.

However, im glad you finally tried to show the interior of the car, instead of the cliche window rendering technique.

However, the seats seem too low, or the hood seems to high, seems like it would be extremely difficult for the average person to look out of the car.

The thing that will help your sketches look better and more real is by applying production details. For example, how does all the body panels come together? Usually, the bumpers are separate from the body. So a line indicating that would make the car feel more real. Cut lines for the doors, is it a two door, 4 door, how wide is it, where is it.

Once you do a side view of a car, try to sketch out a 3/4 view of the same car.

As you may find some details you put on the side view may not easily translate to the 3/4 view, or at other times, it may be impossible.

Guest MBW17
The last 2 posts are probably the most non-flat sketches i have ever seen from you.

That said, its still reading flat, but i can see little hints of form change, which is good.

Your last sketch, the side view, the proportions look identical to your past cars.

However, im glad you finally tried to show the interior of the car, instead of the cliche window rendering technique.

However, the seats seem too low, or the hood seems to high, seems like it would be extremely difficult for the average person to look out of the car.

The thing that will help your sketches look better and more real is by applying production details. For example, how does all the body panels come together? Usually, the bumpers are separate from the body. So a line indicating that would make the car feel more real. Cut lines for the doors, is it a two door, 4 door, how wide is it, where is it.

Once you do a side view of a car, try to sketch out a 3/4 view of the same car.

As you may find some details you put on the side view may not easily translate to the 3/4 view, or at other times, it may be impossible.

Really great crit Sketchyd.

You go into detail on what I need to improve on and work on, thanks so much man, I also have a crap load of reg sketchbook/pen sketches but i can't get them all on one page..

well thanks man, and I'll try hard to improve;)

Guest MBW17

Hey people!

This is a new design I am liking! I think this turned out very well, and I love working in Sketchbook Pro. I did use some reference for this. About an 1 1/2 sketch

This would be a mini pickup/SUV based from the Kia Soul

Soular= soul+solar

Solar Powered= Green

Comments would be awesome!

post-26342-1258234591.jpg

I think this is the biggest breakthrough I have seen from you yet, in the past 35 pages!

The cars arent looking like cardboard boxes with sticker-like details just pasted on, which makes it look flat with no form.

I think you are still having a hard time figuring out the other side, symmetry. Like if you look at the headlights they dont look like they are the same shape headlights. However, I can clearly read how the form of your car looks, where it comes out a little, where it starts to curve in, etc.

The light and shadows still feel a bit arbitrary.

I am absolutely ecstatic that you finally did two things that i kept bugging you about.

1- realistic, non flat looking rims.

2- Indicating interior, you can see in the sketch version, that the A-pillar of the left side(hidden side), is far thicker and wider than the right side.

The car looks a bit stubby though, like a toy car.

But as a toy car, it looks fine.

Definite improvements i see, keep it up.

You can do quickies in bathroom, once you are here try to spend more time on your car designs. apply paralellness, continuity, experiment with line thickness and elements. Nowwwwwwww!