Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Maon W.

New Memeber's Sketches

Guest Maon W.

hi guys, my names mason and i live in Louisiana, and i just turned 14 today! its my birthday! well here are some of my car design works and other works, and hopefully this site can help me expand my horizons with design, bc i want to learn more about industrial design...thanks everyone and i will appreciate any comments and critic.....

MBW

my work-- http://mbwdesignz.deviantart.com/

Happy birthday dude

Some of your sketches are really good for your age, others need some more confidence and work on perspective. Keep on sketching and you'll be killer in college, only remember to have fun with it so you won't lose interest by then! For a few more years you have no outside pressure whatsoever - learn to love it and it will be easier when it matters.

Guest Taro

yup, take a bit of time a day practicing your skills, it builds up, really fast.. and spend the rest of your time having fun! kazz u wont be getting it soon XD

if your looking for transportation design, i think someone was talking about a book called how to draw: cars like a pro go borrow/buy it if you havent, i think ill help you

and then i suggest you go to the sticky thread "sketchyd's online class" and see some of the basica tutorial, and maybe join him on practicing the basics, you'll notice how sucky we are at drawing lines.. circles .. and curves XD so.. ya.. try practicing drawing a lot of straight lines, and overlapping them lightly, and drawing curves and overlap, and then clean circles within the straight lines.! good luk

Guest Colvindesign

I think your skills are way beyond what I would expect from a 14 year old.

That said, like others said you do need to work on perspectives much more than your rendering.

I do a lot of drawing with just a number 2 pencil (mechanical) or a colored pencil just to work on my perspectives, I am including a quick sketch that took me about 20 minutes start to finish (including the previous sketch in regular pencil), it's done in black colored pencil. I think exercises like these would hone your skills tremendously and in a short time when you start applying your strong rendering to them, you'll blow a lot of people away.

- Brian

post-3904-1225152077.jpg

Guest Maon W.

thanks Brian, i really like your sketches, and yes im putting my markers down and going back to paper and pen sketching,so ill be posting some quick sketches sometime soon so stay tuned and thx!

Mason

Guest Taro

ur only way to improve is practice, im not sure where your at with pen and paper, but i suggest you go and check out sketchyd's online class, the week 3 lecture, and try doing that exercise where you draw straight lines and overlap it 8 times then draw circles in between the lines... that will really make you realize what you lack of as in fundamental skills.

" Can YOU draw a straight line?"

Guest Taro

well perspective is off for sure. But that just takes practice i guess.

even tho im not into transportation design, alot of the car sketches that i see... have interesting angles, some of your angles are rather boring, and i dont know if not dynamic enough is the word.

I think you should look around on the forum, and as a practice, copy the angle the pro's draw in, but you draw your own vehicle.

also, i think when ur working on perspective, dont go too much into detail, just quick sketch the main lines so that the car looks right, by the time ur done with detail, u coulda done maybe 3 or 4 pages of quick sketch, that way.

I am including a quick sketch that took me about 20 minutes start to finish (including the previous sketch in regular pencil), it's done in black colored pencil. I think exercises like these would hone your skills tremendously and in a short time when you start applying your strong rendering to them, you'll blow a lot of people away.

- Brian

It is always nice when people are trying to help each other out but if your going to mention that he should work on his perspective it would help if you actually posted a sketch that was in proper perspective . . . but he's right, spend a lot of time doing quick sketches and perfecting your perspective and you should have a very promising future!

Guest Maon W.

well guys heres some more quick crap I sketched up...just been working on perspective and stuff like that...please critic bc i still have a long ways to go thanks, and sryy about the short pencils :(

Mason

post-26342-1225664304.jpg

Guest Taro

perspective is very off, but its okay, because its easy to fix them.

I suggest you just start doing simple rectangles and cubes, dont do the complicated shapes yet. Then you will find the relationship between a cube and a sphere or other harder shapes.

and i suggest you work on your straight lines, since it really helps. Draw your things in one line, not a whole bunch of them. and about the rendering, i think u should just leave the markers, and really.. just work on perspective. since rendering and shadows are just.. totally different things.

Guest Maon W.

well I know what perspective is and I know I can do it but I think latly I have been rushing to much and it's all messed up.... I'm in a drawing slump... But I'm going to keep at it. Thanks taro

Guest tarngerine

Don't want to sound like a douche, but based on some of these sketches, I don't think you've quite understood perspective.

All of your sketches are slanted, make sure that the vertical axis of your drawings is perpendicular to the ground plane (a good way is to make sure they are approx. parallel to the side of the paper, except in the case of extreme perspective). Especially on the top left drawing... what is going on with that cylinder?

The perspective is off on your ground planes, as well. Your shadows aren't actually on the ground, they are floating up in the air (i.e. the can thing above the pencil, the shadow should be much smaller and flatter based on the degree of the ellipse). Also, the pencil box, the top half that is folded down should line up with the bottom half on the same vanishing point line (bad terminology on my part)

Slow down. Keep it simple (no marker, keep to one medium - felt tip pen or ball point to prevent erasing temptation). Draw cubes over and over again. Then draw ellipses/cylinders over and over again. Then draw fair curves over and over again (good practice for that is drawing plants / leaves from real life). You'll get there. You have years.