Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Motivity

iConsole

Guest Motivity

Hi all,

I know that this apple console thingy has been done numerous times before, but I wanted to give it a try as well, since I have always been a big admirer of apple products and design ;) (huge fan of simplicity, yes)

anyway, here we go.

I've tried to keep the design as simple and clean as I could. tell me what you think of it so far :)

(I'll go back working on the controlers now)

More renders soon..

Niels

post-5-1111427380.jpg

Hm.. I'm not a big fan of the clickwheel lookalike buttons on the front. I'm sure Apple would be cautious to implement two controls like that on the same object, they'd probably much rather combine them into one control group.

About the shape of the object, not quite sure Apple would go for a traditional look (for example, being able to fit right in between your vcr and receiver). Though practical, it's kinda obvious to go this way.. though on the other hand practicality is a big issue with Apple products, so it might be possible.

Any ideas for the controllers? I heard Nintendo might go for touchscreens for their new Revolution console, akin with what they did with the DS.

is it really necessary to have those buttons on a 'simple' game console? looks like play,stop,ffw,rwd buttons... how about removing them? you still got buttons on the controllers right? i think we need a closeup to judge the apple surface quality finishing :huh:

Guest jada

I like the idea of a display. if the unit is suppose to function as a cd/dvd-player aswell, a display is a good thing. if your going for simplicit I feel a slot in for the disc would be better than your solution. as for the buttons, i'm not sure. the i-pod user interface is great on an "in-hand-product", I'm not sure it's suited for a product like this (better on an optional remote/or the controllers?). I would have prefered something I could grab and twist, like sony's jog dial. anyway, two of them looks like too much.

Guest Stratiegery01

Hey hey. Great design! It certainly fits into the current Apple product family. I agree with Waikit however, theres no need for all those buttons. The iPod-like interface is a good idea for bringing it into the product family, but not a good idea for predicting the future design of Apple. Personally I would keep that same facade and add in 1 heat-sensitive scroll bar and 1 select button (thats if you want a menu interface of some kind). Still, great design, good job!

Guest idguru

Hi good minds must think a like, as my minor project for my final year, i put a proposal together in september todo a apple games console, also calling it an isole. I have done alot of research into the apple brand and am personally trying to stay away from the buttons used on the ipod, i feel that apple has always known for its cutting edge so i thought why does it have to have buttons can it not work like a tv off a remote control ( the joypad),

I have also been struggling with the control pad, but also thinking that apple have very distinctive packaging, like the one used for the ipod and for its mac, so maybe doing the box will make the project look complete.

If you want to see anything that I have done for this project just ask maybe we can help each other out???

Guest robulation

Hi, just to point out that a console called 'i-sole' sounds a little bit vulgar, rather like nikes 'air-sole' or 'r-sole' :) . Just wanted to point that out in case you call it that.

regards, Rob.

Guest idguru

I know that, cheers, thats not actually the name of it, but it is quite amusing, i dont think theyd take me serious with that name for my final show, :) maybe i shoud cal it an r-sole though.

lol :)

Guest wenxiang

nice concept of an apple console, just a suggestion... try making it vertical or even wall mounted yeah! that will be quite cool, the controllers are wireless and games are stored in the console..... =) ..... maybe i could get some sketches out for better visualisation :)

Guest idguru

for mine ive been looking at wireless controllers, and im trying to move away from the conventional cd/dvd disc, as i feel apple lead the way in new technology, some of my designs have cd/dvd drives but others use things like memory stick that plug into the console, once i have condensed my sketches down i will put some posts on to get some feedback. Maybe people can help me make my mind up on my final design.

Guest wenxiang

ya having memory sticks and other cards (SD/CF etc.) might be cool.. u can make a better use of it ... make the console like a programmer.. for example, there are games stored in a mobile phone, plug a connector into the mobile phone and u can play it on the tv screen! you can play mobile phone lan games wif your friends! Another suggestion is to make the concole more unique... add more players into it! make 4 players instead of a maximum of 2.. (den i do not have to wait for my turn to play ;) )

here are some ideas i generated that may help... the sketches are kindof messy but hope it helps... ;)

post-5-1113695981.jpg