Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Rendering Tips For Flexible Tubing

Hey, I'm wondering if anybody has any sketchbook pro or photoshop tips for rendering flexible tubing. Right now I'm erasing the highlight, and it's very tedious and time consuming. Hopefully you guys can show me some way to speed this up.

Thanks!

- Rob

What are you trying to draw exactly? Like a vaccum tube with the ribs? or just a plastic hose?

If you're trying to do something simple like a cable you might be better off very quickly mocking up something in cad (extrude a circle along a path and throw on a ribbed texture) then sketch over it.

Think Snakelight. Something like that cable. I'm doing a lot of concepts involving that corrugated, flexible hose/tubing.... and it's a PITA to render. Any ideas?

If you're planning on sketching out mostly the same angle then I would say either sketch up 1 good hose and use it as an underlay for the rest of your drawings (like if you were doing a snake light and changing the plastic housings on the ends) and erase/modify it as you need, OR just do what I mentioned earlier. Build a quick and simple 3D tube with that kind of texture on it. Then you can take screen grabs from a couple of different angles and use them as underlays.

Should be the fastest and easiest way to get where you need. Reusing something in the concept phase is ALWAYS easier then trying to redraw it every time. Most of my sketches I'll print out a dozen sheets with whatever my "template" is and then just quickly sketch in the area I'm exploring while leaving the rest.

This might be far fetched, but how about the bevel and emboss layer style in Photoshop? If you're lucky maybe you can get the correct highlights on the hose automatically by setting the correct light source...

Don't know if it could work though!

/tbroen

This might be far fetched, but how about the bevel and emboss layer style in Photoshop? If you're lucky maybe you can get the correct highlights on the hose automatically by setting the correct light source...

Don't know if it could work though!

/tbroen

That's not a half bad idea. The only issue is getting the lines right, before the emboss. I'll give it a shot and post my results.

Quick try... works okay... still wish I could use paths or something to copy a shape along the path, which would allow for rotation of the tubing sections.

post-8137-1224685248.jpg

If you drew your lines a little slower and more consistently you could put the highlight on one layer, duplicate that layer, shift it over and down a few pixels (standard parting line trick for cars) and then invert it to get the shadow. That'll probably give you a little more depth.

Frankly I would say unless the ribbing is critical to your design, maybe you just draw a couple of ribs and then let it fade out naturally in the sketch if you're doing lose sketches. No point in highlighting the area of the design that looks kind of awkward and is rendered even weirder.

As far as i remember you can make the paths in illustrator, where you have some more control over it and open it in Photoshop and work your magic! (Don't know if you can just copy it from one program to the other - but it's worth a try!)

/tbroen

I figured it out. Using the pen tool + IIIIIIII + normal PS tricks, I threw a quick tutorial together.

Peace!

post-8137-1224706436.jpg

Guest kaiza

You can definitely create custom brushes in Illustrator, should be plenty of tutes online. Might help if you need to create other types of corrugrations.

Guest tekbot

Sketchbook Pro 2010 and Alias both have texture brushes. you can capture and "rotate to stroke" . set the stamp spacing to be how often you want it to repeat and draw away. the rotate to stroke keeps your brush always perpendicular to the direction your cursor is moving.

In Alias you can use Curves to snap to.

Sketchbook Pro only has guides.

Image was done in Alias in less than a minute. save brush to shelf and your ready to rock. post-14660-1237516099.jpg