Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dandes

Gui Design Software?

Guest dandes

Hi, we've been design interfaces for a while now but currently rely on software engineers to program the simulators and take everything from our graphical work to becoming a functioning interface. Predictably, during testing we often find problems with our iconography or ideas and want to rework bits of the interface which ends up being a longer process then sould really be necessary...

What we'd like to beable to do it create the simulators ourselves, perhaps even load them onto touch screens, and test our ideas on the fly..

Can anyone advise me of the right software/drivers etc for doing this?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

Flash is the simplest software to use for designers to test functionality, but you have not said what you are programming. Flash has it's limitations in what you can do.

Guest digitalboy675

I am designing a software app and I need to design the GUI butI have no experience with it. Is there easy software out there that will let me place buttons, tabs, icons etc... doesn't have to actually function, I'm just going to do a basic design so my programmers can see what it is I want.

I am designing a software app and I need to design the GUI butI have no experience with it. Is there easy software out there that will let me place buttons, tabs, icons etc... doesn't have to actually function, I'm just going to do a basic design so my programmers can see what it is I want.

Photoshop or Fireworks will be easy to use to mockup a GUI.

Guest dandes

Hey, thanks for your replies....

So once the UI is designed, animated etc with lots of nice dynamic content.... How do you then get this to run on a touch screen without going through all the coding hastle..??

I'm asking this because I'm currently sat writing down XY button coordinates one by one for a GUI for a medical product layed out in illustrator/photoshop...there has got to be a better way!! And the worst thing is the UI is completely flat and lifeless.. In the furture if I get things moving in flash I want to load that directly onto a touch screen and take it to a client for them to play with.

If you can click on it with your mouse in flash, you can click on it with your finger on a touch screen.

We use flash extensively for prototyping touch screen interfaces.

Guest Maart&

A tad late, but still very interesting I think: all of Adobe's apps are way too complicated for rapid prototyping purposes of GUI's. Try Axure RP. Extremely easy to use and generates HTML-based prototypes, so can be tested by everybody. Works very good for us. Check Axure dot com.

Guest Mansy

Caretta Software have a tool called GUI Design Studio that is intended to do exactly this.

It lets you freely create screen designs using standard widgets and then connect them together to create a prototype simulation of your application.

I've used it quite a bit now and really like it. It's saved me loads of time creating mockups to show the rest of the team.