Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adamgc

The Soundtrack To Creativity

Guest Adamgc

Just inquisitive, what do you listen to as you sketch, render or build. Peacefull chillout? Bouncy dance, singalong tunes or do you let the radio decide?

For me, I have no favourite songs or bands (my musical taste is far too broad to settle for long!) but I do find trends emerging. For those pysched 'on a roll' coffee-fueled sessions its got to be pys trance - the urgency, continuity and pace just seems to feed my creative spark.

For research periods I'll often have chillout on in the background or warm carm electronica - stuff that doesn't need thought.

When I'm sketching I'll have stuff I can sing along to... it somehow amplifies the fun of creating and getting it right (tho i ALWAYS get the words wrong!) :P

Guest kaiza

Trance (esp. goa/psy) is my pick, although I prefer to have everything shuffled most of the time. That means hip hop, rock, various electronic, etc.

Away from the computer I listen to the radio which means mainly alt rock. Ditto for the workshop - noisy environment and other people means slightly more mainstream rock - doesn't offend too many people and hard enough to keep everyone pumped.

If I really have to think and concentrate and exclude sounds from the surroundings, it's everything without vocals. I get distracted if someone sings a text in the background - I always try to listen to what they say - I just can't help it. And the non-vocal music can be everything from dance, trance, lounge and techno to classical vivaldi and blues with the sax. Yes - I have a very broad taste of music :)

When just painting or doing 3D I'll listen to just about everything - Except Hip-hop and Rap. Not exactly my taste after all.

/tbroen

Guest pencil

I always listen to music when working. gets you in the zone!

My work computers got about 40Gb of all sorts of music. The only playlist that gets the job done is 300 tracks of Hardhouse, Happy Hardcore, and Radiohead on random. It just works. Energetic highs to ambient lows.

Think its all about changing the pace, which keeps the momentum of premium ideas coming.

Guest Adamgc

lol, I see a trend emerging... who knew the design industry was so endebted to trance and dance artists! :)

Guest sachin

During school we rocked out to hardcore rap, classic rock, mixed in with occasional Billy Joel and Christmas music. It was great! When I'm sketching with the headphones on, its usually a good techno mix or comedy bits.

Nowadays its indie rock and 80's music on satellite radio.

Guest Jay08

Anything from Hopsital records..Danny Byrd Supersized is poss the best album to work the night through to!

Guest Cig

I generally have metal or rock on in the background.

Although I went through a wee stage of having a craving for old school electro rock stuff:p

Guest WRL

Nothing beats a bit of Radiohead. Although I'm getting into classical music, mainly stuff from movie soundtracks, Stuff with a lot of strings seems to get me going when working!

Guest LERsince1991

I never knew so many designers listen to house, trance and dance!

Whenever I'm designing I listen to house and trance mainly but nothing to hardcore otherwise it can distract me...

Although I do have my house and trance loud enough for the whole house to get annoyed :P

Guest Scotta

Normally I listen Vangelis, if is a team work something like Radiohead, Coldplay or Portishead is ok. When I'm on a rush I just want to listen the sound of the tools working ^^

Guest Grant Howarth

Hmm, for me its drum and bass all the way. Chillout beats from Klute really spark my creativity whereas hard hitting tracks from Noisia, Spor etc instill a sense of urgency and make me work that bit faster. + no vocals means words dont jump into my mind and derail me. Sometimes i listen to house but it has to be premixed as track changes irritate me. Alternatively the odd track by Sigur Ros is fantastic for focusing my mind.

Guest Arre

Well as some stated above, trance... :(, alot A State of Trance radio channel with Armin...

Guest AutomóvilVerde

I always listen to music, otherwise I can't concentrate.. usually rock, but sometimes country, metal, oldies, rap, some soft music if I feel like it... as long as it's not techno, jazz, or electonic or watever... favorite is linkin park

Guest iMagxz

A State of Trance is the only music I listen to. Nothing better than a new 2 hour track every Thursday to keep you busy all week, use your favorite torrent site ;)