Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
bowlofnoodle

Glossy Plastic Material?

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artike...h-air-mouse.jpg

In referring to the picture attached, I am trying to find out what kind of material is used for the upper plastic part of the mouse.

What kind of finish is used? How do you get it shiny?

What type of Plastic it is? Is it mixed with anything else?

How can you print colour on it?

How do you make it a dark sea blue colour?

Guest dpryor

B-o-N,

It would be my recommendation to go with Polycarbonate for the mouse. The surface finish on the plastic will be a replica of the surface finish on the mold. In other words, your mold will need to have a high polish to get a glossy plastic part. You can print on it and if you could blend whatever color you want.

Doug Pryor

David Wolfe Design, Inc.

Akron, OH USA

The picture is fairly dark, so it's hard to tell exactly whats going on but my buesses would be:

Polished finish, polish the mold and the part will come out smooth and shiny.

Probably just plain ABS.

You can PAD print graphics on the first surface. You can also MOLD the part in clear and then back paint it with black and whatever color you wanted. That would allow you to get your graphics on the second surface and potentially mask some hidden graphics like that. I'd have to see the mouse off to know for sure.

Put in a different color plastic when molding.

Guest newt @ MWE

Hey

My guess is the material is acrylic. Like the others mentioned, the gloss or matte surface comes from the mold. Search textured mold and you should find some info.

Are you talking about a prototype or in production?

If you are doing a visual prototype, you can do a whole lot strictly through the paint you use. High gloss paint on a very smooth surface will give you the gloss finish. A matte or semi-gloss paint will give you the top surface. Just go through a canadian tire (don't know where you are located?) paint section and you'll find all kinds of finishes and textures.

newt

Guest Rom

You can prototype it. The top shell make in 11122 resin (which replicates polycarbonate or acrylic ), and the bottom shell make in some opaque material (paint it black later and put stickers indicating different lights)

Guest kaiza

Ah, that's a beautiful mouse!

not much to offer on the materials, but the only graphics actually printed there is the Logitech logo, which might be in-mould surface graphics, although I don't really know how it works.

The rest is all lit from underneath, so my guess is that there is either a painted mask on the inside, or perhaps a two-shot process? (clear then black for masking?). It's an expensive mouse, and the base is at least chromed plastic if not die cast aluminium or some such metal.

Glossy plastic materials are really very shiny and look very glossy or we can say that they have a very lustrous surface and when it is packed on any gift item it really looks very nice and beautiful.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artike...h-air-mouse.jpg

In referring to the picture attached, I am trying to find out what kind of material is used for the upper plastic part of the mouse.

It is a better way to do "mirror polish" the mould so that end product is glossy.

As for the Chrome colored lower part, you can go for chrome coating of plastic (I hear it is costly) of try some automotive grade plastic painting after the part production.