Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sixfish

Wacom if no Cintiq????

Guest yeddeync

thanks for the quick reply. i live in the US. but....i also had another question. Digital camera or a scanner...or perhaps both. I am about to invest in some equipment and i am not sure what i should have.

Guest yeddeync

YIkes! there are some many tablets...i dont even know which model to look at on wacom.com

If you wanna use the tablet for sketching and things like that, looks for a 9x12" intuos 2 tablet. Graphire is nice for coloring, but too small to be comfortable for doing linework (in my opinion).

Guest Aphasia

Im not sure about the whole tablet thing or what to reccomend for ya yeddeync, but for digital cameras, for a point and shoot with many of the extra options apature, etc. I have a Canon Powershot S50, absolutely amazing, ive taken 5600 pictures in a year with it! Amaaaazing :)

Guest Simonsays

I placed an order of Cintiq 18" LCD.

They are all sold out for few months.

Everytime I called the store, they were out.

It will be on my desk soon in September..until the D day

Guest sixfish

Nice, I envy you. I tried out the 15" Cintiq, and I think there is a great way to improve it. Instead of making the screen recessed into the housing, make the whole top surface one nice smooth surface. That way, when you use large pen strokes your stylus will not keep hitting the edges of the housing.

You made the right call, 18 is the way to go.

-sixfish

Guest veloce

Here is a rendering I've done on the Cintiq 18sx. Its an excellent tool and very worthwhile having, if you can afford it, because it costs a packet.

But still, nothing beats manual drawing with pen and paper, this is just good for finishing off renderings. It actually takes a while to 'master' it (I have'nt yet) but once you have started, you just can't stop..........

post-23-1095684793.jpg

Guest «AD»

well, it looks very nice at first glance, but somehow, when I look at it for a longer period, I get the feeling this car looks a bit...like plastic- not real :P

Now I know that none of renderings in this style have the aim to look real, but somehow this one look extraordinarily "matchbox-ish", if you know what I mean :P

It still looks good- don't get me wrong, but I get the overall impression it's a toy. :P

Guest veloce

Ye, I had that feeling too while it was coming together.

Maybe its the angle or the surface finish.

I'll play with some others, but it all helps and you learn from it.

Thank sfor the crit

Guest veloce

Hey, here is the first rendering I did on the tablet, its Ok but it still needs a few things to make it better.

What do you think?

post-23-1095686473.jpg

Guest Random Designer

Veloce, are you left-handed? Just a thought... maybe you have flipped the image? Just curious, that's all!

Nice car. :P I seem to notice an absense of sparkly bits and point hightights... perhaps that has added to the 'flatness' of the finish (EDIT: on the gray car, not the pink one!)?

Guest veloce

Hey,

No I'm right handed, and yes the image was flipped about 100 times depending on which part I was working on.

But ye, it does look a bit flat!

Do you recomend anything?

And show us some of your work too.

Guest Random Designer

I'm at work right now, so I'll sort some of my pictures out later (no wacom :P I'm poor right now - *sniff* )

I just thought you needed spots of light on the corners of shiny sections as if the light is concentrated at that point. I'll look up some examples.

The lines are a tad thick too around the joins. I do it too and get pulled up on it a lot! The second car I like. :P