Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mbiasotti

Solidworks Photoview 360

Guest mbiasotti

I know that it’s early and you haven't even gotten your multi-cores overheating yet, but we'd like to get your initial feedback about PhotoView 360.

Please help us by taking a few minutes to complete this short 11 question survey. Upon completing the survey, you will be redirected to a site displaying some cool PV360 images that have been created by our community.

Click here to take survey

http://www.solidworks.com/PhotoView360_survey

Kind Regards

Mark Biasotti

Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corporation

post-1466-1222807844.png

Guest mbiasotti
Mark what is the status of 360 with regards to the student versions of SolidWorks (on the basis that most here are students)?

Unfortunately, student editions run one year behind in actual functionality. In otherwords, the SW2009 Student edition is really the equivlent of the 2008 commerical version. With that said, PhotoView 360 will not be in the SW2009 Student edition. SW2009 PhotoView sessions (files) are saved directly into the SLDPRT or SLDASM so it requires the 2009 file format.

Mark Biasotti

Dassault Syste'mes SolidWorks Corporation

i used 360 quite a bit. i was hoping even the beta version would produce better images than photoworks, which at the time was almost useless and i needed a bunch of renderings asap. 360 couldn't do what i needed, keeping in mind it's a beta.

ever since the SW '08 update PW has become even more unpredictable and mystic. PW cannot even be told where my custom shaders are located anymore, even though i gave it the path? the tech support couldn't tell me why or fix it? i cannot believe the '08 update added more to PW, that is the last thing it needed, especially the brightness and contrast controls? whoever thought that was a good idea should be shot!! 360 is nice because it is sooooooooo much simpler than pw. BUT, no lighting controls? that is not good.

i have high hopes that the full on version will be just what i need...if not MAXWELL here we come.

Guest w i l l

Also, I can't think of any better company than Luxology for Solidworks to team up with.

Roll on the organic modelling.

Also, I can't think of any better company than Luxology for Solidworks to team up with.

I don't think that the licensing of the Nexus render engine includes any of the modelling capability. The problem is Modo is polygonal, SolidWorks is nurbs. Getting a polygonal modelling function inside SolidWorks would be interesting for sure, but it won't be much good unless we can convert the generated forms to usable solids and surfaces. I would really love to see something like the CATIA Image and Shape sub divisional modelling inside SolidWorks but would Dassault every allow that? I and S is a £14k package here, so I very much doubt it.

Still SolidWorks have a habit of surprising us all so you never know!

Guest MR-A

Personally I think that it is a HUGE jump ahead for SolidWorks. When I saw the rendering (below) I started laughing like a child....

The rendering specs are:

render time: 3min15sec

frame size:1024X768

render quality: best

scenery: soft box

gamma: 2.0

VERY simple to use with lots of default materials and environments. PhotoView 360 was exactly what I had in mind when I have spoken to SolidWorks people suggesting to create a program that would allow you to close SolidWorks and launch a stand alone rendering application. And here it is...

People that have struggled with photoworks would REALLY appreciate this wondrefull tool.

post-4533-1223483701.jpg

I really like it too. Fast easy to use and consistent. Little crashy when assigning materials, but once the render starts it is solid. Definitely not on the Maxwell level of realism, but as far as the development process, its a home run for me. I stopped using Photoworks and have a seat of Maxwell, but this is definitely a different beast. Barely any interface to learn. Really streamlined for ID, unlike Maxwell and V-Ray which are definitely more powerful and built for rendering in many different industries. I am so glad that the Luxology folks are collaborating with Solidworks. They are definitely pros at rendering CG images. Apart from Mark,no one at Solidworks knows squat about rendering. So a thumbs up from me, especially considering that this is still in beta and highly usable.

To make it more useful

1)Render Queue

2)Network Render

These two are the reason that a brute force program like Maxwell is faster than a faster render engined Photoworks. Eventhough the individual renders in PWx are faster, you have to be at the computer for each of the renders. With Maxwell you can set up 20 renders to go out to your network of 8 idle octo-core stations at night. My friend Ben and I had to pull an all nighter with Photoworks just to open up files on different work stations and kick off renders. Photoworks wasted my time.

3)Decals and Material Library

4)Scene HDR Editor, and lights.

5)Better shadows -objects seem insufficiently grounded.

6)Rudimentary transformations- scale rotate etc.

Essentially get rid of Photoworks, and put in the 360 render engine, maybe the 360 progressive refinement could be a display/visualization mode in Solidworks. Given the speed focus of the latest Solidworks, this is a great development.

Here is a render in 360. Background in Painter

post-313-1223489435.jpg

I agree. 360 is the way to go. I was hooked on Hypershot when it came out and I'm hooked on 360. Like you (Thomas) I'm using Maxwell but if I'm honest I really need to get top grips with it properly (not helped by the lack of decent tutorials focused on using Studio or from SolidWorks - if you use Rhino or 3D Studio or Maya your are OK!).

But the thing is, finally, with multi cores the render companies are realising that fast rendering is good but fast set up with reliable results is even better - the amount of my life I have waited on renderings to generate or complete only to find the lighting is blown out or not enough! You can keep the good old days - give me these tools any day.

There is always the need for the genuinely top end, but for 99% of product designers we need to sell the concept and tools like 360 and Hypershot are perfect for that - less time rendering, more time designing.

Ya know,.. sadly,.. PW has been good and disappointing... and like you guys it's good to see a option like this.

I did not upgrade my subscription because of the poor quality and inconsistency out from 2007/2008 and some of 2009 beta.

So, I opt'd out.. and I don't have a 2009 license to see what/how 360 is performing,..? (curiosity is killing me)

Anyhow it's great to see this... (btw,.. I had a LightWave license years ago,.. and wrote to Newtek a few times asking if they had plans open their render engine to the likes of SolidWorks and got one email... saying... "maybe".)

So, I'm excited that the Luxology Team (a break off from Newtek) is offering this!

.. 8^)

Guest rockguy

I like PhotoView 360 as well and have created some great images with it. I'm dissapointed in its feature set however. I just don't think its deep enough. I'm sure that will change over time but I really can't understand why it isn't that way now.

You can read my more specific thoughts about PhotoView 360 and PhotoWorks at www.robrodriguezblog.com

Guest w i l l

I don't think that the licensing of the Nexus render engine includes any of the modelling capability. The problem is Modo is polygonal, SolidWorks is nurbs. Getting a polygonal modelling function inside SolidWorks would be interesting for sure, but it won't be much good unless we can convert the generated forms to usable solids and surfaces. I would really love to see something like the CATIA Image and Shape sub divisional modelling inside SolidWorks but would Dassault every allow that? I and S is a £14k package here, so I very much doubt it.

Still SolidWorks have a habit of surprising us all so you never know!

It doesn't matter about the technicalities - Solidworks and Luxulogy can sort that out between them. The most important thing is that the mindset of the Solidworks people is definitely tending towards more organic modelling - you only have to watch the Youtube video's and interviews with Solidworks Corp to understand that they love developing features such as freeform etc.