Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
imran_othman

A Designer's Workstation

Guest aman_s1ngh

looks really good... but i can just see it straight away as soon as i put down all my things on it its gonna be akward to use

Guest spook

instead of photoshop filter photos, i think quick overlay sketches or the original photos would come across better. Personally i think the table would be too restricting for me, i would rather a nice open work surface, rather than a segmented one like you have done, but thats just me. I guess thats the hard thing about designing a workstation for designers, we'll all be so critical and have different personalised ideas of usability.

Guest industrial_poptart

I have a desk that I use from IKEA and it is awesome for doing design work. It's really simple, just a metal frame and frosted glass table surface, but the charm of this one is that you can place a light underneath and then the entire surface becomes a tracing table. It doesn't raise up at an angle, but I am used to working on a flat table in studio so I don't really mind. I love it! There's enough room for my laptop and my papers and room for pencils/markers and room to sketch...

Guest Lilith

i really like the rendering it looks nice a bit busy, and the sketch is nice , i will agree with spook though about the photo, overall looks good !

Guest newt @ MWE

Hey

The design seems a little busy and complicated to me personally. The renderings are nice and I like the idea of the swing away keyboard platform.

One small thing, it looks like there are book shelves at either side and the drawer buckets swing out to the side. If the unit is placed against a wall, some of theose features would not be usable.

newt.

Guest John Fitzsimmons

it is not clear if the entire desk is adjustable in height, that is ideal since it allows you to adjust your chair or work standing up, and that is one of the nice things about a traditional drafting table like my 60 inch hamilton standard. The entire thing adjusts with a 14 inch range.

Also, I suggest at least one flat file area for large pads, even if it is just a slot underneath the work area, otherwise where do your sketch pads go? Also, lots of skinny drawers. I use a Kennedy Tool Chest on casters that is 25 inches wide and it is ideal and hold lots of stuff in an organized way. THe point is all those skinny drawers get used up pretty fast. I like the roto-board. You should add some sort of edge that can be raised or lowered to hold stuff in place. The post caps on the wing tables may look nice but would be very annoying. One alternative is to use a flush inset in the laminet. These should also have a tension elelment to prevent free swinging and maybe a ratchet type indexer. Also a pop up electric outlet center.

How about making the swing out drawers removeable, so you have a bucket to take your stuff to a meeting in? I have bins for each project for all the crap that accumulates

Guest John Fitzsimmons

a couple of more ideas, a built in waste basket, something that every desk needs, and built in lighting. Ideally the lighting has a magnifier, I use mine all the time for measuring and examining what ever. Lighting is a whole subject but you can't have to much in my opinion. I have an old fashioned Vesco drafting lamp that has a circular flouresent and incadesent bulb in the center, it is perfect. Every desk needs a lockable drawer for personal stuff as well as a lockable file drawer that is keyed separately.

Guest ODDNAME

I´d buy one :) I really like the sketches, descriptive and nice.

Agree on the photoshopfilter one though, kind of kills the buzz.

Guest LERsince1991

I'm doing exactly the same concept for my A2 design course and have came up with alot of the same ideas.

I would just like to say well done on your design it has some clever functions and ask where would you put the PC tower and the cables?

I would definitely like to see some drawers in your workstation for drawing equipment and other stuff.

What sort of material would the worktop be made of?

I was going to use layers of MDF and try to finish it with a durable coating.

Guest henzo

I like it -

does one need to move their monitor each time they wish to use the drawing board?

and it needs a coffee cup holder B)

Guest Ekove

Dude, I love that, I'd get one if I could. Just 3 points I'd like to point;

How are your tools accessible when you raise the drawing board?

What does the desk light go? shouldn't you consider to make one as a part of your design?

How can you see your computer screen when you raise the desk? it doesn't seem like you can use both a raised drwing board and view your monitor.