Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest industrial_poptart

Wacom Practice

Guest industrial_poptart

So, I am working on buffing up my sketching technique. Generally, just so you know, I can sketch. Meaning, I can communicate form on a paper. However, my sketches usually look like dead fish. You know, completely lifeless, not even a hint of a tail flipping about not to mention stinky. So we're working on fixing that.

First task: the wacom tablet (I know starting with this is not the easiest means to go about working on sketch technique) but I hadn't used the wacom as much as I'd liked in school and it is really hard to get used to. So I feel like if I master this, I can feel better about myself. Plus the lines just look cleaner on the computer no matter what direction you try to hold a colored pencil. And I hate sharpening. And I am messy, so you can imagine that by the time I get to pastels when I'm doing paper sketching I already look like Santa Claus stepping out of the chimney on Christmas day. Thank God for technology. I am starting out trying out the tutorials on IDsketching.com right now. Yes, I am trying to imitate them exactly. No @#$@#$ing around with designs right now it's already hard enough to try to achieve the 'expressive line' using the wacom. LOL. So don't give me crap about that. Ok here goes, I'll show you my progress so far:

post-24361-1222369852.jpg

post-24361-1222369887.jpg

i had a wacom for two years and then sold it . . . its really difficult to get used to and you spend half your time just trying to get a simple line in the right place . . . if you want to go the digital route get a tablet pc on ebay for about $1000, I have a Toshiba R20 and the thing is awesome for sketching, I heard the Fugitsu is also good, anything else I wouldn't bother with because the touch sensitivity sucks

Guest industrial_poptart

Hmm, yes I agree probably a tablet pc might be much easier to do this.. I do honestly find myself hitting ctrl-z about 20 x / minute. But maybe I'll get better with time? I have heard opposite opinions that tablet PCs have bad pressure points. O well, here's the progress so far:

post-24361-1222376614.jpg

Guest huakakak

hmmm ... what u did is, u tried to do what u always done with traditional tools (pen, pencil, and so on) with wacom. its possible, but i think it would be difficult since its lil bit different to work with wacom. and i notice that u try to do neat line job.. like i said, its possible but it takes time. (take a look at my topic "huakakaks sketches" on the sketches forum)

my tips : , free up your mind how ur sketch should look like. just try sketch a camera with wacom, its ok if it looks completely different with ur other sketch on traditional media. dont say ur hand how the camera should look like, instead let ur hand do it with wacom.

i think with wacom u can discover many new style of sketch.

another tips : assign the undo and redo function to the pen button to increase ur speed.

screw the tablet

get back to the traditional!

cmon dont you know teh sayin?

"a building wont stand without a good foundation!"

u just havent practiced enough!

plus sketching with pen and paper is 10x easier to do and takes much less time once u get used to it

if u are messy

dont draw with things that smear.

use pen, there is no ctrl+z

imagine how much sketches u would do without a redo button!!!

ure gonna waste tons of time tryin to learn on wacom without a set foundation skills with traditional ways.

Guest huakakak

you´re right, good foundation is very important. but i think its not less important to build the rest of building nicely ;) .

no question about it, you have to have a good basic, but thats not enough to be very good, or unique.

produce the maximum with everything u got. i wouldnt screw the tablet if i were u. =)

but u dont hav to sketch with wacom. wacom is just one from lot of tools u can work with. let ur creativity fly high, regardless the tools.

Guest Music
Hmm, yes I agree probably a tablet pc might be much easier to do this.. I do honestly find myself hitting ctrl-z about 20 x / minute. But maybe I'll get better with time? I have heard opposite opinions that tablet PCs have bad pressure points. O well, here's the progress so far:

post-24361-1222376614.jpg

hey man, your perspective is out on your ellipses here, you had it right with your first sketch although it looked as if the lense was drooping downwards a bit, here you have corrected the droopiness, but the ellipses need to be wider, especially the one that connects with the body of the camera.

My advice on using a tablet over traditional sketching: I'm by no means a pro, but i think the lineweights and tidyness that can be achieved on a wacom are something that you will rarely see in a normal paper sketch. But once u are good on paper, then theres no reason why u cant be good on wacom, ( the learning curver on a wacom isnt much in my opinion)

you´re right, good foundation is very important. but i think its not less important to build the rest of building nicely ;) .

no question about it, you have to have a good basic, but thats not enough to be very good, or unique.

produce the maximum with everything u got. i wouldnt screw the tablet if i were u. =)

but u dont hav to sketch with wacom. wacom is just one from lot of tools u can work with. let ur creativity fly high, regardless the tools.

dont screw the tablet completely.

but id suggest he should at least have a certain foundation with traditional sketching FIRST before jumping to the tablet.

Perspective, line weight, and all that can be achieved with traditional sketching and look very clean.

you just need to practice more.

if your perspective is off with pen and paper, dont expect to get it right on the wacom.

sure u might be able to do it with a million ctrl+z but thats not how u should be practicing to get things right.

the foundation is the hardest part to build, but once u get it down. everything else is easy sailing.

Guest Spezz

Unless you got a Cintiq; sketch on paper, scan in and color with tablet.

That works very well imho. And once you are really used to the tablet, maybe you can sketch on it as well, but it won't be as precise as on paper.

Guest industrial_poptart

Plain Marker & color pencil sketch, un-buffed by computer means. This is after about an hour of sketch practice. I am aware that this is very tight/not loose looking and that perspective is off in some areas. I am going to keep sketching now and see if it helps me loosen up.

post-24361-1222581705.jpg

when sketching try to choose the most useful or interesting perspectives.

cuz thats a funky view point.

(it looks like its falling forward, which in my opinion isnt a good feeling, feels unstable even though its juss a model in the air, floating. because it feels liek its leaning forward, falling forward, it make me feel uneasy)

the view of your object shoudl be to show a specific area/ feature / functionality / design

dont just pick an arbitrary view point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

also it seems liek u made it float in thin air... why?

if you are gonna make it be floating, you should have a good reason for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

also the drop shadow doesnt match your object.

if u are gonna make it floating the drop shadow should reflect the shape of ure object.

Guest industrial_poptart

K. Here's the most recent. I decided to try a mouse cause its really organic, and u can make a bunch of fluid sweeps when you're sketching it so that it's something I could be loose with. The sketches are done with sharpie and then scanned in and colored on the wacom.

Also, thanks for the tips, I have tried to consider which angles i am using to sketch from and also place my drop shadows under the objects.

in response to the floating cell phone thing, this is why, heh:

http://www.designsojourn.com/sketch-techni...ichael-ditullo/

but i agree with you it does seem a little odd.

K well here's my most recent one. its supposed to be some sort of metal finish, maybe an aluminum with slightly gold tint.

post-24361-1222714919.jpg

Guest huakakak

nice sketch. it looks very good with the combination of high contrast and low contrast sketch.. ;) mm but they kinda flat to me, may b u should draw the vertical segment contour..

Guest industrial_poptart

Where do you mean on the little sketches looking flat or the colored one?

i like the feel of your last sketches . . . much more dynamic than your original ones. Good job keeping the lines crisp and varying the line weight . . . the forms are pretty generic but as far as the style goes i think it is much improved