Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
roelontwerpt

My Entry For The International Bicycle Design Competition

Hi,

This was my entry for the 'international bicycle design competition'. Sadly, I did not make it to the second round, but I'd like to share it with you. Let me know what you think,

What do you think of the design?

Why did I not make it to the second round, what should I improve to win next year ? :)

http://design.runride.com/

It is based on the scetches I posted earlier;

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...p;hl=revolution

post-1434-1222111769.jpg

post-1434-1222111783.jpg

post-1434-1222111793.jpg

post-1434-1222111807.jpg

So do you need to twist your legs in order to steer, then? It seems as if, given the steering axis and the position of the cranks, it might be difficult. That's also a practically flat rate on the steering axis...not sure how that geometry would affect handling.

Does the CVT in the front freewheel, or is it fixed? If it freewheels, you probably want a brake in the front, and if it's fixed...well, I'm not sure I'd want it fixed, given the leisurely style and market you're reaching out to.

As far as looks go, it's a simple and clean enough shape, but there's not a whole lot of flare to it - it's just a symmetrical arc, no? There's nothing wrong with it, per se, it's just not as exciting as it maybe could be. Is it steel or aluminium construction?

I'd say it's a well executed project, but it comes across as more "engineered" than "designed." I hate to express it in those terms, since the two are so closely related, but do you get what I'm trying to express? Your sketches had a lot more drama to them, and it seems to have been lost in the translation in to CAD (which is really easy to have happen, believe me).

Live and learn, all you can do is move forward.

Guest Fujitsa

Hey there first of i do like the simplicity of the design, simplicity in the sense of a Single speed, most used for uraban transport, but the lack of colors does bother me, you wont be noticed as much by other cyclists by having this new recumbent!

It would also be good to see a comparison to lets say a car and a generic recumbent to your one, to see the increased "high point of view"

Steering looks strange, i wonder how it would work, considering you would not be able to pedal very well.

Also id would be good to see lots of extra holders for pannier racks, as i presume this bike would be used for commuters.

Bottle holders are always good heh

But yeh overall not a bad design, id love to one day see people riding recumbents instead of bikes for commuting, it has definitely got more benefits so keep up the good work, and love bikes! as i do!

You do need to twist your legs, I can't say anything for sure regarding handling, but other recumbents like the flevobike use a similar steering geometry. The CVT freewheels, and I agree, you do need a front brake.

Steel or aluminum is not really a issue at this stage, I guess aluminum would be a little lighter.

I guess the Continuously Variable Transmission is a hard story to explain in a easy way. It is not a single speed, but it does not use gears for shifting. This website explains it in a nice way: http://www.fallbrooktech.com. A pannier rack is a good Idea, and I think fenders would be nice as well!

You do need to twist your legs, I can't say anything for sure regarding handling, but other recumbents like the flevobike use a similar steering geometry.

well even in the flevobike design you mention the steering geometry is actually quite different because the pedals are not located on the steering wheel . . . in reality the front wheel drive would be about as effective as a tricycle because as you turn the wheel your legs can no longer stay on the pedals . . . sure if you only make gradual turns it would work to some extent, but in the case where you would have turn turn quickly you would be in trouble . . . i would suggest moving away from the front wheel drive because its obvious that the geometry will cause handling problems and this is something that the judges will instantly recognize

Quite a old topic, but it is relevant again. I sent this entry again for the 2010 ibdc, and to my own suprise, I reached the final 21 this time. Part of the second round was building a model, and the 21 scale models were shown on the International bike show in Taiwan. Sadly, I did not win a prize in the final round. Here are the final 21 bikes, http://www.ibdcaward.org/ehtml/history/index.aspx

and here some images from my entry

post-1434-1269267580.jpg

post-1434-1269267566.jpg

post-1434-1269267593.jpg

post-1434-1269267605.jpg

Guest slippy

Hi, the only thing I would say is the seat looks like it leans back too far. I would want to be more upright so I wouldnt have to stress my neck out by leaning my face downwards to see where im going - like a luge boarder has to look down.

Overall I like the design and it would be more comfortable to ride with a great idea for the transmission. Well done

Hi!

all round a cool concept, and seems well done. I think, that many people have the same question when they see it (is it stable to amover and steer).

I f you can produce a working prototype, and it´s easy and fun to use I believe it can be sucessfull.

Great work!