Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cleo

IPD at TU-Delft

Guest Cleo

Hi everybody!

I’m searching some information about the Master program “Integrated Product Design†at TU Delft.

I visited already the homepage and received although a hardcopy of the program structure from the University.

These information are really nice, but I would like to contact some people who could tell me their experience and impression about the program mentioned above.

I’m from Italy but I’m studying in Germany “Mechanical and Process Engineeringâ€Â. Due to the problems which every Engineer has with Designer (or vice versa :D ) I would like to enroll in the Master program IPD. Is there somebody who had already a similar education?

Your answers would help me pretty much to decide if I should apply for this program or not.

Thanks,

Cleo

Hello Cleo, I'm finishing the 'old' program of the 'Integrated Product Design'..currently looking for a graduation project.

My experiences about the courses and elective courses of the master program is quite positive. Most obligatory courses are pretty interesting mentioned at: http://www.io.tudelft.nl/education/ppatroo...-2005/index.php

But I think it might take more time to get used to the education, if you haven't finished a bachelor's degree in ID. First..most projects are done in teamwork. So you need to know some basic things of ID, educated in the bachelor's program, to understand other teammembers' approaches/methods. If you are familiar with general design methods, research, design jargon, design software, then it shouldn't be a big problem to start with the master program.

Another members asked me some questions about the IPD curriculum. I would like to share them with my answers:

1. Can you give me an idea of the mix of theory and practical design projects in the IPD course? ie, is it more of text books, notes and exams or sketchbooks and presentations? I'm very keen on the workshop as I enjoy actually building stuff...are there many opportunities to do that in the curriculum?

If you look carefully through the courses' descriptions, you can see that most of them are done in teamwork and focused on practical skills. Very few textbooks are used, because they expect that you can apply the basic design knowledge (taught in the bachelor's degree) on the practical courses. I rarely worked in the workshop building prototypes/models, cause most courses asked for reports/presentations without real models. I did more computer models.

2. I heard the courses are team-oriented. Can you tell me about some courses and projects you've been in - in a team or independently, and how it was conducted?

The course 'Integral Design Project' is one of the big exciting projects which is team based. Renzsu and I was in same team (6 students) and we really had a great time. The project was done for a professional company. We received a design assignment from Philips DAP shaving department and through the complete design process we had to report to Philips and our uni supervisors. This project simulates the real design life rather well. At the end Philips made a STL prototype of our design :) Can't tell too much about it though, but you can see some initial idea sketches I did in the idea session on my website :(

More info about this course:

http://www.io.tudelft.nl/education/ppatroo...005/node48.html

'Design Manifestation' is an individual design project and is pretty interesting. Every 2 weeks I received feedback on my development from the project supervisors. You can see the results on my website: ghettoblaster for monks

Some of the students made real models, but most students presented computerrendering or hand rendering. More info:

http://www.io.tudelft.nl/education/ppatroo...005/node49.html

3. What is the extent of contact with industry? And can you tell me about the faculty & visiting lecturers?

Our faculty regularly organize events, like symposium (Alessi), lectures by design studios, excursions/trips to design studios in and outside Europe, workshops with companies/design studios, design fair, etc...

Guest Cleo

hi waikit!

well, I thank you very much for your replies and it's really interesting reading what you did. especially the fact that you designed some products for designstudios is new to me.

I see now, that the program is more concetrated at the design of a product than I expected. but it is still interesting!

I think I would have some problems at the beginning, because most students who are in this Masterprogram did a bachelor in an similiar field.

And I did not. the few things that I know I learned by myself and are not comparable with your skills in design ....

do you know how many exchange students are actually in the IPD?

Heya, well I regularly see exchange students from Spain and Italy, few lost Belgians around as well :) If your english is ok then you'll have no problems. Just make sure you don't get stuck in a group of exchange students, but mix so that you can benefit a bit from the people who did the bachelors here as well. For the Philips project we worked with a group of 5 for 4 days a week for half a year. Pretty intense, and you'll have to form your own groups, so if you know some fun people, this course is really the best.

Not all IPD students are master sketchers, so as long as you have some basic skills (show some stuff in the sketches forum perhaps?) you should be ok. Mad drawing skills aren't the most important thing you will need. Some of the methodology will be taught during those same courses, so you'll pick that kind of stuff up as well I think. Some electives are also available that will teach you some alternatives for the traditional methodologies.

Not sure if I really forgot something I wanted to tell you, kinda got lost in my own post here.. Perhaps I'll get back to you on this hehe.

Guest abhi

hey waikit thanks that was really helpful.

the course sounds pretty comprehensive and i was particularly impressed by your mention of visits to design studios in other Europen countries.

in your project with renzsu, what was the academic background of the various team members? - to get an idea of what kinds of disciplines work together on projects there.

hey waikit thanks that was really helpful.

in your project with renzsu, what was the academic background of the various team members? - to get an idea of what kinds of disciplines work together on projects there.

You're welcome abhi :)

The academic backgrounds of the other teammembers were the same as us

(IPD). That's quite unusual... they try to build a team mix of IPD,DfI,SPD students for the 'Integral Design Project' .. if possible. So not really different disciplines, just different specializations working together from the same faculty.

Guest abhi

hey wai/renz...

got a couple more questions for you guys...

I've been looking at the course list and it looks like there are no design projects in the first year at all! so what's it like? what do you do in the first year?

Also, do you get the chance to do industry projects outside the netherlands?

Lastly, I've heard this about most European schools as against american ones - there are no placements...once you're done you're out! is that true? How do people go about finding a job once the course is done?

thanks, abhi.

Do you mean the first year of the bachelor's program?

Please read: http://www.io.tudelft.nl/education/ects/bachelor.doc

There are some design projects in that first year, but in my opinion too less, like 10%.

I didnt get the chance to do projects outside the netherlands, but there are some international exchange programs...

About the job opportunities.. not too positive I have heard, that's all I can say. maybe someone else can tell us more about that?

Guest abhi

I was asking about the masters course, which seems to have 0% of design projects in Year 1 !

First master year design projects:

ID4110, Design Manifestation

ID4115 Product communication and presentation (sketching etc..)

+ design courses from the electives

+ eventually an internship placement

Guest bachus

Hi waikit...

I am currently searching for a masters course related to product design. I found out about the Strategic product design at TUDelft, but i was unable to find similar courses in other universities...

are u aware of any other univs offering such courses?

Guest Peedub

Middlesex University (North London, UK) offers an MDes in Product Design, Innovation and Management: -

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/subjects/ad/mdespdim.htm

I'm doing the BA Prod Des course at the moment so don't know too much about the MDes except to say that Middlesex courses have a strong prctical base with excellent workshop and computer facilities, and strong links to industry. I think that the MDes course is part sponsered by Ford, Qinetiq and one other co. with placements on offer for top students.

There is also a new MSc course as well but I can't find anything on the website about it at the moment.

If you want, I can ask the course leader for more info.

Guest ajampaniki

I'm in my (hopefully) final year of my bachelor in Delft and have to choose a master now. I'm still uncertain what to choose: IPD or DFI. One question I got for those who are already doing IPD at IO: do I need like expert sketching skills to even make a chance or is moderate sketching enough? Ofcourse this wont be the deciding factor, but it's still something I'd like to know.