Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest won-93r

Motorbike Clay Modelling

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

The model's coming along great! Good work.

I'm not the best clay modeller but I have picked up a couple things along the way. The less you work the surface the better. For whatever reason going over the surface with a spatula repeatedly tends to work up bubbles and lumps. Also, I found that a credit card or bank card works well on smoothing curved surfaces. Just make sure there are no knicks in the edge of the card.

I am not sure (and I wouldn't try it without having someone else say it's ok) but you may be able to finish the surface just like a car afterwards, Meaning stratchfill primer, filling compound (easy sanding, not the two part rock hard stuck) , repeat until you get the surface you want. Then paint.

it's pretty basic knowledge, but I hope it helps somewhat.

newt

Guest won-93r

hey newt cheers for the feedback and also thanks for the tips and funnie enough the credit card idea was a great idea cheers for that. i might also do some test pieces with the paint idea u had :thumbsup:

Guest Austin Brown

I didn't realize this was the same design as your other topic. This is a really well-done model. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Guest Fujitsa

Wow, Won its looking very nice now, keep up the good work, i was just wondering though, what kind of clay do you use? whats it called specifically and how do you cure it and paint over it??

Guest won-93r

hey everyone, sorry for da late reply been busy ive finished the sculpting of the claymodel but not painting dont know if im bothered to do so just yet..

the clay i used is called y2-klay from chavant

http://www.chavant.com/new_site/files/industrial.htm

and as for painting im not experienced in that technique because of the whole process but heres i website i have just been reading on painting a clay model

http://www.chavant.com/new_site/files/pdf/clay_painting.pdf

... i mean you can paint a clay model by wiping it with mineral turps then put a few coats of primer on top then paint but someone who knows about paint told me over time it might start to form cracks in the paint but if you want it for a for a sort period of time then go for it lol. but if anyone is really experienced in painting models feel free to message back cheers :thumbsup:

btw ill post up pictures soon just have to re-size them but got no time now lol

Guest kaiza

Hi Won, looking forward to more pics.

Just wondering where you sourced the Chavant from? Finding specific paints and other materials seems to require either phoning around, knowing someone who knows where to get it or paying $$$

Guest won-93r

hey kaiza

Up in sydney there is a place called barnes. they are located in Newtown but i go to there head office located at Bankstown heres the address'

53 King Street

Newtown NSW 2042

6 Homedale Rd

Bankstown, NSW 2200

or visit there site

http://www.barnes.com.au

Guest won-93r

Hey. heres sum pics of da model i havent painted it yet i know but when i do i will start a new topic for that enjoy! feedback is welcomed

post-8239-1229139679.jpg

post-8239-1229139702.jpg