Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest won-93r

Motorbike Clay Modelling

Guest won-93r

hey everyone

i have preety much finished my design for my bike yet im gona start making it out of clay. i only have lil experience with making a car out of the stuff but whenever i want to find a tutorial on scaled motorbike model out of clay there is none. Does anyone know of any sites or information they could give. if they can i would be very thank ful

..cheers :thumbsup:

BTW heres is my design so far...

post-8239-1237619492.jpg

post-8239-1237619513.jpg

Guest kaiza

I haven't seen anything on clay modelling scale motorbikes, but there are plenty of YouTube vids on car clay modelling in both full and model scale. There should be some links in the Materials and Prototyping forum.

Guest won-93r

thanks kaiza. just looked in Materials and Prototyping forum there was alot of info about which way is the best way to make the motorbike model but im just unsure if, due to the size of the model i should use a inner foam core, or a wood core, or even make a metal frame to support the clay bcause a motorbike is thinner than a car and when it comes down to how to support the model with out it moving whilest carving etc :confused1:

Guest iD34

Hi Won-93r,

That was probably me as I recently made a 1:6 scale clay prototype of a motorbike for my final masters project.

I have to tell you it was difficult (a nightmare!) with exactly the reason you stated - stability. As mentioned in the other thread my idea was either to hand sculpt (just to learn the process) or RP it etc.... I tried to get it 5-axis milled but they were asking even around £1,000 for a student project which was ridiculous, but i would have chosen this route and hand finished it.

Therefore I went down the 1:6 scale prototype because that is the largest scale 'injection moulded model' (Italeri) I could buy for parts ie wheels, tyres, etc without having to make everything from scratch.

I then used parts of the chassis with lots of clay and attached it with a wood core through a metal bolt to a wooden base. The problem i had was the stability of the whole thing - I couldn't really press down hard enough to get it super smooth.... so some parts where rougher than intended. It is also a lot more fiddly as motorbike fairings are less flowing than cars so you can't just skim along one surface.... but give it a go of you are up to it, but I would say either do it 1:1 if you have the facilities or 5 axis it.... but if you want to learn the process go down the hand route.....

Good Luck !

Warhead (iD34 Ltd)

Guest won-93r

Hey ID34

Thanks very much for the feed back it was really helpful, im currently in the process of making it at a 1:3.5 scale so hopefully it is a better size but i have to totally agree with the stability bit as there is only one secure point to the bike an i would also have to agree with the CNC too much on a students budget lol im going down the hand scuptured route and would hopefully post sum pics up of my finished result.. tats if im happy with the result but thanks once again :thumbsup:

Guest Fujitsa

hello there! nice work with the design its looking good and good luck with using clay, im also designing a bike for my last year at high school, but ive decided to create a 1:6 ratio model, of it form Blue Foam, rather than Clay, i thought u might be interested in a different moddeling process, not sure if uve come across it b4, but doing a Google search on it will help you get some info

Guest won-93r

hey fujitsa, thanks for da feedback. :thumbsup: yeah i have been around but everything seems to be on cars and vans but never a scaled size motorbikes i mean if you have some info on motorbike modeling that would be great. Gud luck also with your bike project too in my opinion its good to start young to see different methods of model making just before you go out into the big world :specool: . Just a quick question, are you gona use the blue foam for the inside and some kind of automotive filler or plaster like spak-filler on the outside to create a smooth surface? feel free to update me on ur work, cheers

Guest Fujitsa

hey there won, ive just finished my motorbike model thats due in at school tommorow. Yeh it is true, alot of the moddeling is on cars, its pretty frustrating trying to find a place where i can learn how to model a bike.. =_=", but most of what i did was from learning about techniques and applying it, and experince from the blue foam. for example, u get the basic shape and then u start carving it out slowly, and then i added putty" stuff u use on walls ", too the foam to create a smooth surface, i also added paint too to get an even finer layer and just started to sand down, here a link to some guy who made a model out of blue foam "which i cant find.. but its somewhere here on the forums.. "

as for sculpting models there are some very very good tutorials from " http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287 " but most of what u learn as they say is from doing it yourself and experimenting

And heres a link to my Motorbikes that i just finished " http://www.flickr.com/photos/30039509@N02/?saved=1"

Also with blue foam be careful with what u use, no spray paints from a can and some puttys can destroy the foam esaily eating into the foam, so take care and test before u use on ur project! i had to learn the hardway and destroyed one of my wheels.. by using some spray on putty....

But with different materials ive come to the conclusion that...

Foam is good for making a general shape but the time and effort used to create a very precise shape is not worth it

Clay is good for moddeling bikes in general, but i haven't had too much experience " http://www.projectm85.com/fabrication.html "

Plastic is extremely hard to worth with but i think if u used it you would pull it off well.

and gud luck with ur model!!! and be ready to put in alot of elbow grease!!

Guest won-93r

hey fujitsa

nice design, i remember when i was in yr 12 i couldnt do that stuff, nice work! thanks also for da sites they are pretty informative. yeah i too also had a mistake with blue foam and spraypaint last year. it eats the stuff big time but its good to learn from mistakes, but thanks man and keep up da nicce work :thumbsup:

hey everyone

i have preety much finished my design for my bike yet im gona start making it out of clay. i only have lil experience with making a car out of the stuff but whenever i want to find a tutorial on scaled motorbike model out of clay there is none. Does anyone know of any sites or information they could give. if they can i would be very thank ful

..cheers :thumbsup:

BTW heres a link to my design so far...

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9567

Hi

I found this forum on google and had a look,

and what did I find, someone looking for advice in claymodelling a motorcycle :-)

so I just had to sign up to help you.

I have worked on a few and you can

have a look at my homepage: http://www.reuterholt.se/

Hope you will find it usefull, and ask if you need more advice.

/Petter

Guest won-93r
Hi

I found this forum on google and had a look,

and what did I find, someone looking for advice in claymodelling a motorcycle :-)

so I just had to sign up to help you.

I have worked on a few and you can

have a look at my homepage: http://www.reuterholt.se/

Hope you will find it usefull, and ask if you need more advice.

/Petter

Hey Petter

Thanks for the reply. Nice website too with all your past projects. Sorry for the late reply as u know i was busy doing the model i bet you have done heaps of scaled down motorbike models before the real thing. ill just show you sum pictures of wat im up to in a couple of days from now. any additional input such as doing things wrong or better to get me finishing this model quicker or more acurate would be an advantage. thanks :thumbsup:

Guest spikegomez
Hi Won-93r,

That was probably me as I recently made a 1:6 scale clay prototype of a motorbike for my final masters project.

I have to tell you it was difficult (a nightmare!) with exactly the reason you stated - stability. As mentioned in the other thread my idea was either to hand sculpt (just to learn the process) or RP it etc.... I tried to get it 5-axis milled but they were asking even around £1,000 for a student project which was ridiculous, but i would have chosen this route and hand finished it.

Therefore I went down the 1:6 scale prototype because that is the largest scale 'injection moulded model' (Italeri) I could buy for parts ie wheels, tyres, etc without having to make everything from scratch.

I then used parts of the chassis with lots of clay and attached it with a wood core through a metal bolt to a wooden base. The problem i had was the stability of the whole thing - I couldn't really press down hard enough to get it super smooth.... so some parts where rougher than intended. It is also a lot more fiddly as motorbike fairings are less flowing than cars so you can't just skim along one surface.... but give it a go of you are up to it, but I would say either do it 1:1 if you have the facilities or 5 axis it.... but if you want to learn the process go down the hand route.....

Good Luck !

Warhead (iD34 Ltd)

Thanks man, it's awesome... Rapid Prototyping

Guest Bowl of Soup

Hey,

When I sculpt unstable shapes (dynamic figurines, etc) I start with a wire mesh, and I try to use a single piece of wire that I bend to hold my sculpt. I also use two part epoxy, since it doesn't need to be cured in an oven. The trick is to drill holes into a base (wood block, etc) , and then bend the wire from one drilled hole all the way through the sculpt to a second drilled hole, if you use a thick gauge of wire, this is almost unmovable. Then add your putty/polymer/whatever on top of the wire mesh... (think of a skeleton or a stick figure). I did this when I was in high school, and I still do it as an old geyser, it works for me.

Adam.

Guest won-93r

hey adam thanks for da reply. yeah i think your right that probably was the way i should of went lol too late now but ill be sure to give it a go in the future Thanks :thumbsup:

Guest won-93r

...Oh by the way i think i should start to show wat part im up to so far. heres just a few progress pics of wat i am up to so far. feel free to coment if this is going good or any tips mainly how to get the surface ready for painting. Cheers :thumbsup:

post-8239-1227006581.jpg