Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest unhappymaiden04

My Sketching Skills Suck Pls Help

Guest unhappymaiden04

Ok,I can sketch...but the thing is,when I start to sketch bags (I'm a handbag designer by the way) I get so stressed out and disappointed.The results are a mess,and I think that my perspectives are way blown out of proportion.I keep on comparing my sketches to other artists' sketches,particularly the previous artist who designed the same brand I am designing right now.Maybe because people here at the office kept on telling me how good she was,and this and that.I mean,it's not jealousy or something,but lately I found myself trying to live up to the comparison.I caught myself trying too hard to surpass her designs to the point that I felt I lost my own style and creativity along the way.It just saddens me that I almost cannot produce productive and creative designs unlike when I was in college,wherein I was able to release and execute my creative ideas to the fullest extent possible...:( I felt so left out and unoriginal. I cannot do designs without looking at her past works and comparing them to my own...it's just so bad.I love my work and I really want to do some good handbag sketches...I just felt that there's something preventing me from doing it.Please help...I would really appreciate it.

By the way, I am posting my sketch here.Please critique them guys (just don't be too harsh :() Constructive criticisms are most welcome.

note: these sketches are my best so far. :( I have traced the perspective from the other artists' sketches.

--------------------------

Ok I have added some of my recent computer drawings of my recent handbag designs.The gray colors represent the metallic leather trimmings.I will be using a red or brown printed fabric,sorry the scanner isn't working so I wasn't able to put up a picture of the actual fabric.The fabric is a printed canvas by the way. ;)

post-24005-1220689347.jpg

post-24005-1221007856.jpg

Guest Bo!
I have traced the perspective from the other artists' sketches.

I don't think your sketch is bad at all. But did you use your style at these (regarding your words)?

I think that you have to take a break, on a Saturday or a Monday, when your co-workers can't bother you at all. At that day, try to regain your style, then use them forever (OK, forever is too hard of a word). I've always been taught that you don't have to be able to create beautiful sketches, what you must do is to find the best way to inform the the thing you are sketching. Thus, your sketch has to fit with the product's characters and personalities.

Have you seen Manolo Blahnik's shoe sketches? Sometimes his sketches are out of proportion, but he managed to 'tell' me (I didn't say us) that the heels are extremely high that women will seemingly walking on tiptoe. Or have you ever heard Zaha Hadid, an architect. Her sketches suggest movement and sharpness, the way her buildings are.

My point is your sketches don't have to be picture perfect. Sketches should be informative and represents the product.

But that's just my opinion, please ask for others...

I agree with Bo! that you dont need to create perfect sketches,as long as they communicate your idea clearly, which you do with the sketches you are showing here.

Check out idsketching.com for a backpack sketch tutorial and you might learn some 'tricks'.

The only thing I can recommend you to do is using different line weights to add more depth and to pop out your sketch.

Guest unhappymaiden04
I have traced the perspective from the other artists' sketches.

I don't think your sketch is bad at all. But did you use your style at these (regarding your words)?

I think that you have to take a break, on a Saturday or a Monday, when your co-workers can't bother you at all. At that day, try to regain your style, then use them forever (OK, forever is too hard of a word). I've always been taught that you don't have to be able to create beautiful sketches, what you must do is to find the best way to inform the the thing you are sketching. Thus, your sketch has to fit with the product's characters and personalities.

Have you seen Manolo Blahnik's shoe sketches? Sometimes his sketches are out of proportion, but he managed to 'tell' me (I didn't say us) that the heels are extremely high that women will seemingly walking on tiptoe. Or have you ever heard Zaha Hadid, an architect. Her sketches suggest movement and sharpness, the way her buildings are.

My point is your sketches don't have to be picture perfect. Sketches should be informative and represents the product.

But that's just my opinion, please ask for others...

thanks so much for that.Uhm,regarding the design,yup that's my style. I can see your point,but you know people here pressure me to produce a picture perfect sketch.I am thinking of stopping myself from working to meet their standards,just design and create my own designs...and stop looking at the previous artists sketches. :) thanks for your advice :)

Guest sachin

These sketches aren't bad, but the scratchy lines are a little distracting. Maybe try tracing over these with a felt tip pen like a Pilot fineliner or a uniball pen.

I think that it is just more practise. Make sure that you re drawing with a light touch from the elbows at least for the major lines. I dont think that you have a bad sketch style. Just keep drawing. The sketch style is almost irrelevent. It is the final design that is important.

Proper documentation and presentation will also help. In a way it is good that you have a previous designer that is "better", Just use her as a reference and get better, Get better than she is ;) Quantity- just keep at it and post more sketches for crits.

Guest unhappymaiden04
I think that it is just more practise. Make sure that you re drawing with a light touch from the elbows at least for the major lines. I dont think that you have a bad sketch style. Just keep drawing. The sketch style is almost irrelevent. It is the final design that is important.

Proper documentation and presentation will also help. In a way it is good that you have a previous designer that is "better", Just use her as a reference and get better, Get better than she is ;) Quantity- just keep at it and post more sketches for crits.

:) thanks,yup I will be posting some of my computer renderings here.I love your crits,it helps me a lot in improving my job as a designer :)

the reason your sketches look not up to par is cuz they have no emotion to it.

Your sketches look flat, and boring.

Heres how you can fix this:

LEARN PERSPECTIVE - Easiest way, DRAW THROUGH

1- Loosen up, that does not mean messy

2- Draw through, it looks flat cuz you are only drawing what the eye can see.

2.5- Construction lines, it creates a sense of depth to your drawings

3- Contour lines, a thin, lightweight line that shows the contour of your form, really helps the viewer understand the form you are tryin to communicate

4- Line weight, your lines are exactly the same everywhere, vary line weight, not randomly, but in a reasonable manner

5- Chicken scratch, your lines should feel like a flowing stroke of the pen, not chicken scratch. Have confidence when you drop in that line.

(how do you achieve that confidence? Mileage, the more you draw the more confident youll get)

Guest unhappymaiden04
the reason your sketches look not up to par is cuz they have no emotion to it.

Your sketches look flat, and boring.

Heres how you can fix this:

LEARN PERSPECTIVE - Easiest way, DRAW THROUGH

1- Loosen up, that does not mean messy

2- Draw through, it looks flat cuz you are only drawing what the eye can see.

2.5- Construction lines, it creates a sense of depth to your drawings

3- Contour lines, a thin, lightweight line that shows the contour of your form, really helps the viewer understand the form you are tryin to communicate

4- Line weight, your lines are exactly the same everywhere, vary line weight, not randomly, but in a reasonable manner

5- Chicken scratch, your lines should feel like a flowing stroke of the pen, not chicken scratch. Have confidence when you drop in that line.

(how do you achieve that confidence? Mileage, the more you draw the more confident youll get)

Hey sketchyd,I want you to know that I am so flattered that you replied on my two posts here :( I really am a big fan of yours especially your sketches and designs,someday I hope I could be as good as you are in terms of product designing :) You're tips and advices are really a great help to a budding designer like me.

Now,regarding your tips:

1. I kind of have a problem on loosening up when it comes to sketching...I really want to achieve that look,like some of the sketches here,too bad I still am struggling with that...

2. Can you explain what draw through means? (sorry for being so thick about this...but I find it hard to grasp the idea...)

3. Contour lines and line weight...can you show me some examples of these? again,sorry for being so thick...I just wanna know more bout this and I really wanna improve my skills,so pardon me If sometimes I tend to ask the obvious...

and lastly,the chicken scratch thing...you see I really want to achieve that flowing pen strokes,but I ended up having chicken scratches :( some tips please?

I wanna thank you in advance for your advices regarding my struggle with sketching,I just hope you won't get pissed at my ignorance in terms of sketching.

ha dont worry, im always happy to help.

however i apologize im kinda low on time these days, due to school work.

but heres a quick sketch i did juss now to answer a few of your questions.

DRAW THROUGH:

-Are usually perspective lines, but it can also be light guide lines

-Drawing through helps you to grasp the perspective of your sketch

-It means your perspective will be correct.

-These lines should be done lightly

-It also keeps it from looking flat

-Helps the viewer to grasp the idea of what the shape looks like on all sides.

1- As an example heres a simple box.

100720081615.jpg

2- and how you can apply the exact same concept to a product, such as a happy meal box.

100720081616.jpg

Also notice how the lines start at one end and continues to the other in 1 stroke.

ITs all about being confident in your strokes, confidence comes from mileage

Ill try to get into it in better detail at a later time.

Also, check out our site for inspiration or help:

sketchartst.weebly.com

Guest unhappymaiden04
ha dont worry, im always happy to help.

however i apologize im kinda low on time these days, due to school work.

but heres a quick sketch i did juss now to answer a few of your questions.

DRAW THROUGH:

-Are usually perspective lines, but it can also be light guide lines

-Drawing through helps you to grasp the perspective of your sketch

-It means your perspective will be correct.

-These lines should be done lightly

-It also keeps it from looking flat

-Helps the viewer to grasp the idea of what the shape looks like on all sides.

1- As an example heres a simple box.

100720081615.jpg

2- and how you can apply the exact same concept to a product, such as a happy meal box.

100720081616.jpg

Also notice how the lines start at one end and continues to the other in 1 stroke.

ITs all about being confident in your strokes, confidence comes from mileage

Ill try to get into it in better detail at a later time.

Also, check out our site for inspiration or help:

sketchartst.weebly.com

Hey thanks a lot for these! Now,I understand what draw through means :lmao: anyways,thanks for these guides.I am so eager to practice these this weekend :D Little by little,with your help of course,I think I will be able to improve my sketching skills :specool:

I hope you could post more details soon,hehe B) will be looking forward to it.

PS: The tutorials section on your website isn't working...uhm is it just my pc or is it really under maintenance?