Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest indy2878

Drawing Questions

Guest indy2878

So I've decided to learn the basics of drawing once again. I plan on FINALLY taking that beginning drawing class in school which will probably teach us basic stuff like perspective, pencil, charcoal, conte crayon drawing. Anyway, in terms of learning to draw and getting good at drawing... Is it better to go to school and learn to draw or is should I just go ahead and draw based on what I already know?

I know the obvious answer is probably to do both learn at the same time and draw a LOT.

I know a little bit of BASIC techniques here and there like perspective, line weight which I have to work on, shading which I understand a little bit...

How important are the type of materials you use when doing a tutorial let's say a tutorial which tells you to do something like line weight work and gray scale marker sketch tutorials. I don't have these materials readily available and it CAN get expensive as well...

Like for Marker paper I can only order these online... Would a laser color printer paper make a good replacement?

Can someone either give me a link on how to take say a computer laptop to be drawn and then deconstruct it using the basic shapes: like square, sphere, triangle, tube, etc... Or can you at least explain through drawing how this works? I'm trying to learn to "see" and visualize things around me this way since that's what I've read.

Lastly, in the lost sea of numerous drawing/sketching tutorials and techniques how do I know and organize myself to handle which techniques work for me? Meaning since there are so many ways of drawing/sketching which one's do I pick and choose?

Stop thinking, start drawing.

Unsure of where to start? Think you know the basics?

Great!

Guess what, basics are the most important thing, its all about foundation.

So it never hurts to draw perspective, and simple forms.

So i suggest to start here:

1- You can only learn so much on your own.

Therefore, you should take on an opportunity you have. Want to learn how to sketch? Take a class at school, look up tutorials, check other peoples work, show your work to you instructors, ask them what they think, and ask how you can improve upon it.

2- Want your own style?

You need to first learn how to sketch, you can also do master copies of other peoples work. Dont think of it as copying, in the negative way. Its only widening your skill set. And once you can do certain things, you can create your own style from there.

3- Want to draw a laptop?

To draw a laptop or any other object, you need to have a pretty good undersstanding of FORM and PERSPECTIVE..

Draw simple forms, theres only 4: a cube, a cylilnder, a cone, and a sphere.

Once you can draw these. Start to look at objects.

For example a water bottle: Ask yourself, what simple forms make up a water bottle?

A long vertical cylinder, a cone where it drafts inward, with a another stump cylinder for the cap.

Simple as that.

If you can draw simple forms, you can draw any object.

4- Paper, paper, paper....

It doesnt really matter, you can draw on paper towels, napkins, matte paper, cardstock, cheap printer paper. Doesnt really matter. Thats up to you.

Just make sure the pen you use is compatible with the paper you are using.

5- Pen or pencil?

I suggest you practice with pen.

Why? well first off you cant erase, so if you mess up you have to start over.

Feels like you are wasting paper? Again, dont think negatively, Just think that you are drawinig more now.

Also pen doesnt smear (although it depends on what pen you are using)

And finally, pen will immprove your sketch speed by a ton, cuz u get in the habit of not erasing.

6- I need help, but no one seems to help me.

If you want others to help you, you need to put out.

That means, if you want help, then show us that you really want to do this.

Cut the talkin and start the sketching, put up all the sketches you do. Get connected, share, and listen and apply the comments people tell you.

7- It makes me mad when people comment my work.

You need to have an open mind, the design industry is harsh.

If you are sensitive, work on it.

ALWAYS LISTEN. It doesnt hurt to listen.

However...

YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE OPTION TO APPLY IT OR NOT, that is purely up to you.

7.5- One person may come up to you and say i think this will look good in red.

Then you say thanks, and try it out in red, but also try it out in the way you think it should be.

So now you have 2 styles and u can look at both and decide.

you should ...

ALWAYS LISTEN > ALWAYS TRY IT OUT > ALWAYS HAVE THE OPTION TO FOLLOW OR NOT

Listen even if it is something you may have already learned once before, cuz u might learn something new

Guest unhappymaiden04
Stop thinking, start drawing.

Unsure of where to start? Think you know the basics?

Great!

Guess what, basics are the most important thing, its all about foundation.

So it never hurts to draw perspective, and simple forms.

So i suggest to start here:

1- You can only learn so much on your own.

Therefore, you should take on an opportunity you have. Want to learn how to sketch? Take a class at school, look up tutorials, check other peoples work, show your work to you instructors, ask them what they think, and ask how you can improve upon it.

2- Want your own style?

You need to first learn how to sketch, you can also do master copies of other peoples work. Dont think of it as copying, in the negative way. Its only widening your skill set. And once you can do certain things, you can create your own style from there.

3- Want to draw a laptop?

To draw a laptop or any other object, you need to have a pretty good undersstanding of FORM and PERSPECTIVE..

Draw simple forms, theres only 4: a cube, a cylilnder, a cone, and a sphere.

Once you can draw these. Start to look at objects.

For example a water bottle: Ask yourself, what simple forms make up a water bottle?

A long vertical cylinder, a cone where it drafts inward, with a another stump cylinder for the cap.

Simple as that.

If you can draw simple forms, you can draw any object.

4- Paper, paper, paper....

It doesnt really matter, you can draw on paper towels, napkins, matte paper, cardstock, cheap printer paper. Doesnt really matter. Thats up to you.

Just make sure the pen you use is compatible with the paper you are using.

5- Pen or pencil?

I suggest you practice with pen.

Why? well first off you cant erase, so if you mess up you have to start over.

Feels like you are wasting paper? Again, dont think negatively, Just think that you are drawinig more now.

Also pen doesnt smear (although it depends on what pen you are using)

And finally, pen will immprove your sketch speed by a ton, cuz u get in the habit of not erasing.

6- I need help, but no one seems to help me.

If you want others to help you, you need to put out.

That means, if you want help, then show us that you really want to do this.

Cut the talkin and start the sketching, put up all the sketches you do. Get connected, share, and listen and apply the comments people tell you.

7- It makes me mad when people comment my work.

You need to have an open mind, the design industry is harsh.

If you are sensitive, work on it.

ALWAYS LISTEN. It doesnt hurt to listen.

However...

YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE OPTION TO APPLY IT OR NOT, that is purely up to you.

7.5- One person may come up to you and say i think this will look good in red.

Then you say thanks, and try it out in red, but also try it out in the way you think it should be.

So now you have 2 styles and u can look at both and decide.

you should ...

ALWAYS LISTEN > ALWAYS TRY IT OUT > ALWAYS HAVE THE OPTION TO FOLLOW OR NOT

Listen even if it is something you may have already learned once before, cuz u might learn something new

"the design industry is harsh" - - - I totally agree on this,at first I was too touchy whenever my boss or others would comment on my work.But later on I realized that it's just a part of the design industry,and since I am a designer,I figured out that things,sometimes,can be a little hard and people might or might not like your works,still in the end it's your choice on how you would take those comments.

i noticed it whenever u reply... but u dont have to quote teh whole thing.

just quote the part you agree on.

cuz it kinda takes up alot of space.

at least on my threads, juss quote the parts tht have to do with what you are saying.

thanks

:]

Guest Skint

sketchyd, that a good write-up. Agree to all.

I almost quoted the whole lot too... just to wind you up :D haha

Guest unhappymaiden04
but u dont have to quote teh whole thing.

just quote the part you agree on.

hehehe sorry for that one :) yeah it consumes a lot of space lol