Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest madmike

Designing

Guest madmike

Question,

1) My problem: No great 'design' ideas, only normal designs......how do i get to think out of the box.....

2) How do u get you're ideas?

a) look at other designs

:) they come while drawing

c) in the head

3) Where do you start.......drawing only x,y or for the first sketches x,y,z ??

Let me know....thanx

Guest jakjak

Hi i am not that great at designing but what you need to do is look at existing products and also things like nature and buildings, basically anything that will give you inspiration.

for example if you watched the olympic games, the stadium was called the birds nest why??? because its design was taken from that of a birds nest. hope this helps thats the best i ca do for you.

Guest madmike
Hi i am not that great at designing but what you need to do is look at existing products and also things like nature and buildings, basically anything that will give you inspiration.

for example if you watched the olympic games, the stadium was called the birds nest why??? because its design was taken from that of a birds nest. hope this helps thats the best i ca do for you.

Thanx for the reply Jakjak, you got a point!

Where i am going wrong is that i pay to much attention especially to competitor products. This results in idea's who are almost similar as the competitor products, that's not cool......

Guest kaiza

A little of A, B and C for me - that's what design and concept generation is about.

A - Look at other designs, figure out what's wrong with them and make them better.

B - Evolve the design. Keep refining the lines and playing with variations.

C - Things come to you when you aren't thinking about them. You can work at something for a day and then realise something just as you fall asleep... I always keep a pen and paper next to my bed :)

Also, think of the dumbest thing you can think of, then make it work. I've come up with plenty of brilliant ideas just laughing about how dumb a certain idea would be... and then realising it could work well with a bit of tweaking.

Case in point - my friend wanted to make a sculpture out of heaps of paperclips. I suggested making a giant paper clip but that sounds overdone. Then I thought - what about clear tube bent into a paperclip shape, filled with paperclips? Very doable too.

Guest madmike
A little of A, B and C for me - that's what design and concept generation is about.

A - Look at other designs, figure out what's wrong with them and make them better.

B - Evolve the design. Keep refining the lines and playing with variations.

C - Things come to you when you aren't thinking about them. You can work at something for a day and then realise something just as you fall asleep... I always keep a pen and paper next to my bed :D

Also, think of the dumbest thing you can think of, then make it work. I've come up with plenty of brilliant ideas just laughing about how dumb a certain idea would be... and then realising it could work well with a bit of tweaking.

Case in point - my friend wanted to make a sculpture out of heaps of paperclips. I suggested making a giant paper clip but that sounds overdone. Then I thought - what about clear tube bent into a paperclip shape, filled with paperclips? Very doable too.

Ok, clear! Thanx for the reply!!!

Guest 3dmodeller
Question,

1) My problem: No great 'design' ideas, only normal designs......how do i get to think out of the box.....

a) look at other designs

:D they come while drawing

c) in the head

Let me know....thanx

If I`m asked to "think outside the box", I firstly take a look at the existing products, and ask myself how I would change them to make them more appealing. I then go away and start to look at products/designs/architecture/graphics/media anything other than the area that I`m designing for. I look at how surfaces meet, and how at different angles the light affects the appearance, I look at the colours and combinations used, how textures can enhance a product. I look to see if the design is using a symmetry or is it a more complex compsition and form. During this time I always have a small note pad and pencil with me to make notes, or very quick sketches. With all the reference material I have collated I then return to the product I`m required to design and try to produce the most radical and differening design that I can. With this design only I rough I then start to work back from this design producing designs that draw on different aspects of the intinal design. I then put these to one side and start again thinking of more design based on additional ideas and research. It is important the during this stage you don not disreguard any idea, everything that you think of put down on paper not matter how strange it may be. I remember one product that I was asked to design I produced 5 concepts, and at the last minute literally with about 1hr to go before the presentation of the concepts, I through in a last minute idea. This last minute idea was loved by the director and the board and is now in mass production and doing very well.

Hope this helps.

Guest madmike
Question,

a) look at other designs

B) they come while drawing

c) in the head

Let me know....thanx

If I`m asked to "think outside the box", I firstly take a look at the existing products, and ask myself how I would change them to make them more appealing. I then go away and start to look at products/designs/architecture/graphics/media anything other than the area that I`m designing for. I look at how surfaces meet, and how at different angles the light affects the appearance, I look at the colours and combinations used, how textures can enhance a product. I look to see if the design is using a symmetry or is it a more complex compsition and form. During this time I always have a small note pad and pencil with me to make notes, or very quick sketches. With all the reference material I have collated I then return to the product I`m required to design and try to produce the most radical and differening design that I can. With this design only I rough I then start to work back from this design producing designs that draw on different aspects of the intinal design. I then put these to one side and start again thinking of more design based on additional ideas and research. It is important the during this stage you don not disreguard any idea, everything that you think of put down on paper not matter how strange it may be. I remember one product that I was asked to design I produced 5 concepts, and at the last minute literally with about 1hr to go before the presentation of the concepts, I through in a last minute idea. This last minute idea was loved by the director and the board and is now in mass production and doing very well.

Hope this helps.

This really helps, gives me an idea how other (more professional) people like to work....nice...thanx!!!

Guest unhappymaiden04

Thanx for the reply Jakjak, you got a point!

Where i am going wrong is that i pay to much attention especially to competitor products. This results in idea's who are almost similar as the competitor products, that's not cool......

hey I can totally relate to what you're experiencing. I have done that several times,paying too much attention to competitor's products,ending up with a product almost similar to theirs...pretty exhausting I may add.I am now trying to focus on designing based on my OWN style and ideas...focusing is really the key I think...:D

Guest Bo!

I just wanted to clarify, and by doing so I might give the TS an opinion. The Bird Nest in Beijing wasn't a mimic of a nest. It was actually inspired by a chinese pottery, by it's shape and structure. The design developed until it finds its last form and shape which apparently looks like a bird's nest, and so people named it (I'm a fan of the architect). Another example is a dining apparatus called moon (I don't remember the designer's name). The designer actually just wanted to confront the way people eat, so he made a plate full of hole, which ends up looking like a full moon.

The point is that looks/namings don't suggest the initial idea. The idea could be anything. Shape of natural objects, shape of any objects, how to operate products, how people from different cultures do things, challenging hardware's limits, anything can become the initial idea. Motorola PEBL and B&O Serenata was inspired by a beach pebble, Nokia prism was inspired by architecture. Motorola RAZR designer was challenged to make the phone as thin as possible. (Ok, I'm gonna stop, too many phones involved ;) )

It might sound cliche (not to mention cheesy) but just open your mind.

ideas come from everything.

the reason you proabbly cant think of a good designs is cuz you arent experiencing the world.

the main problem these days, is the internet.

we tend to rely on it so much,, that we get all our ideas from the internet.

What you must do, is actually get out of the house and experience life.

Go to stores check out bags, shoes, comps, tools, watever you are tryin to design.

Get a feel for it, see how it is used, where do u grip it, how does it work.

Ask people that are shopping there, what makes a certain brand appeal to them.

Not only products though, even fun and actviites can get u thinking.

Have a sport you plaY?

Tennis? Basketball? Golf?

What about relationships?

Friends, family? gf bf?

You can create network concepts with those, it can be interface, or an acutual object.

Take lots of pictures.

Write down notes.

Carry a notebook around at all times!

You may have the greatest memory in the world, but with everthing you go thorugh per day.

There is no way you can acutally remmeebr every little detail!

So write it down, when u see or hear ssomething interesting.

Dont just look for the cool stuff, the successful stuff.

Look at failed designs too, ugly stuff, and analyze what they did wrong.

What made it fail, why is it ugly.

Compare and contrast two similar products where one is appealing while the other is displeasing.

Look at materials and colors and shapes.

Different Colors and shape mean different thing.

Try to identify why a certain company uses only certain colors in theirs products.

Its not cuz it looks prety, its cuz there is a theory behind it all.

For example RED is intense, it catches peoples eyes.

That why its used in Stop signs. or a BUY NOW sign would be perfect for that.

Another example, PURPLE, purple is the color of nobility, royalty.

Shapes, What does a circular, horizontal, jaggedd shape all mean?

Why are some products jagged and rugged looking while others are smooth and sleek looking.

How did they achieve these two whole differnt feels?

Was it color choices or material choices? or maybe even the shapes they useD?

THere is so many things to analyze and identify...

If you are running out of things to think about, then you are most likely relying only on the internet.

Get out and Experience.

Guest roo

First come up with a brief... eg. design a trophy for a swimming competition... Make primary research sheets where you collect and paste down relevant inspiration (in this case splashes of water, ripples in water, other swimming trophys etc.), then make a separate idea development sheet based on the inspiration from the first sheet, finally making a model and final visualisation sheet - this is the way my uni course is teaching me at the moment (foundation at Central Saint Martins - London)... my example was very bad, straight off the top of my head, but the basic theory can be applied to anything. Good Luck.