Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Carbon

Where To Buy Prismacolor Pencils?

Guest Carbon

Hi!

I'm looking for a place on the internet where I could buy Prismacolor pencils in Europe.

I've looked around quite a lot but couldn't find any, only US sites (equals to long & expensive shipping + fiddling with the customs).

If there aren't any, perhaps another as good or better pencil brand?

I just wanted to try Prismacolors because I've heard so much hype about them.

Also how would the Prismacolor pencil hardness (verythin, regular, watercolor) translate to the H/B scale:

....2H, H, HB, B, 2B...etc?

Thanks!

Guest Carbon

Well, if not Prismacolors, then some other brand that has the equivalents of verithin, regular and watercolor?

Anybody?

Guest DietDope

i'm from germany and i use polychromos from faber-castell . they're available for about 1.30€ here .

theyre like "top-of-the-notch" among color pencils

faber-castell website in english

from what i know they are widespread under european designers (e.g. saw bmw-designers working with them )

they're available in about 200 colors , i'm using black but there's also that dark indigo blue or that nice dark red and of course every other color you can imagine .

you can also produce really strong contrast , the problem is that you need about 2 or 3 of them , because they are quite soft ( which leads to the advantage of very light lines and very dark and strong lines at the same time ) , so that you can keep your workflow and don't have to "sharpen" them (dunno the correct word) all the time

using them on marker paper is just great , the really glide on it , another benefit is that they don't bleed out too bad if you use copics over them .

i like them a lot , and i'm certainly gonna buy them again

regards , max

Guest Carbon

Thanks!

Too bad there aren't different hardness/softness selection.

Maybe just substitute the harder black for a gray pencil, for that light initial lines in a sketch?

Guest DietDope

oh , that's not the problem , if you hold the pencil just so that it is pressed onto the paper by its own weight , the lines are very light . i would compare it with a 1H or a HB pencil in normal use .

if you press stronger the lines get nearly as dark as a black marker .

watch the pencil sketching video on idsketching.com , i think he's using prismacolors , but with polychromos you get virtually the same result

regards , max