Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest riege_st

A Portfolio In Progress...

Guest riege_st

i'm currently working on my portfolio for university - Industrial Design

my portfolio should include around 30 pieces of art, not neccessarly ID stuff(nude paintings, aquarell,...). the past years I have studied(and finished) electrical engineering. I kept my creativity up running in my free time, but I still feel somehow rusty. So in the up coming months I'm going to keep posting and I would love to get some feedback on my work. ;)

I'd like to start off with my entry for the Mazda Design Competition in the german AutoZeitung.

post-12726-1219248665.jpg

post-12726-1219248674.jpg

post-12726-1219248691.jpg

post-12726-1219249549.jpg

post-12726-1219249738.jpg

Guest A17

the car does resemble a sparrow clearly, but a bird is aerodynamic and the profile render you showed doesn't depict that too well. Methink's its the deep dark shadow you casted on the bottom half of the car.

But definitely, the idea is solid.

Guest Jay08

Theres creative and theres arty farty. Thin line but be careful. ID is more creative than arts based and is all about applying creative skills to provide intelligent solutions and for example, by cleverly designing a component for a manufacturing process and how well you carried the intended design forms and features through the entire process is where the skills lie. (hope that makes sense)

Why not show some of your electronics egineering projects, design a casing suitable for this, sketch, foam model, visualise, Detail design, prototype, manufacture for instance would speak volumes more than the mazda concept or indeed the art pieces. (nice by the way, just shouldnt be the focus of an ID folio).

The render of the mazda concept is nice by the way, a little too grey but shows photoshop skills. Mayeb include this in a miscellaneous works section of your folio.

Oh and a quick note, for each design project, ask yourself why. For instance, why form the concept like a sparrow? A short explanation will add substance to each project.

Guest riege_st

thx for both posts :)

@A17

i thought about that aerodynamic aspect for a while. at first i also did a marker render with a sleeker form, but then again i thought about cars like the BMW Isetta. a great city car and it clearly doesn't look as if it would go 250km/h. today every car looks as if it would make that 250km/h, but i decided intentionally not to go that way.

@Jay08

i'm definitly planing to include some e-engineering stuff - i'm planning to make a A2 poster where I'm presenting my diploma thesis. i did alot of marker sketches for the final realisation and a flash based touch screen GUI to operate everything.

concering art/ID, I have already experienced this problems you discribe and I definitly agree its not an easy task. I have talked to some of the professors at the university and they even seemed to me to prefere art stuff over ID stuff in the portfolio.

Oh and a quick note, for each design project, ask yourself why. For instance, why form the concept like a sparrow? A short explanation will add substance to each project.

how would you accomblish this, by a sketch or in written form ?

Guest Jay08

My advice, keep it ID based. Stay with an A3 format. Its much more manageable. and yes a quick caption should suffise.

Guest riege_st

till now I only have A3 pieces, I thought it wouldn't be bad to put about 2-3 larger pieces into the folio. but i guess thats something i have to experiment with

these are the products of today

focusing on fast strokes

post-12726-1219355857.jpg

but this is were the real swet went into

i'm currently preparing the sketches to show its purpose, but i have to go to bed now

post-12726-1219355883.jpg

Guest riege_st

call it a prototype(the sketch sheet) - is it understandable, what I wanted to achieve ? (there are probably some spelling errors, the final piece should be in german)

post-12726-1219607560.jpg

Guest riege_st

another question to which i haven't found an answer yet

sometime ago a member from here recommended me to use lighter liquit to mix with powdered pastels. i tried it out, its quiet hard to get that liquit out if the cane. after mixing it with the powdered pastels, it seems to evaporate very fast, appling it with a brush can look very messy and after the the paper is dry again that good looking strokes sometimes vanish partly(when i fix it with a spray)

i probably do something wrong, but haven't made out what it is

Guest riege_st

again me

i'm thinking about how i should present sketches

is it a good choice to scan the best versions in and make some sort of collage incl. some short explanations in computer font text and then print it out

or making it old school by tracing the best sketches on one sheet with handwritten text

Guest riege_st

some marker sketches from today

shampoo bottles for children

from a fictional company with a pony as logo

post-12726-1220719798.jpg

hey riege st.

just curious..

what are you drawing this on?

computer, pen paper?

and how are you transferring them onto the computer?

scanning, photo?

the reason i ask this, is because most of your pages lack contrast.

ITS EXTREMELY LIGHT.

and thats bad.

imagine your drawings on a wall and people were to walk around looking at everyones work...

yours would go unnoticed because from far away it might look like blank pages.

the figure drawing and the bird drawing obviously doesnt have this problem.

but even the chess piece shampoo bottle, has a very faint feeling to it.

it has a very airy feel, if you know what i mean.

and not in a good way.

its kinda hard to read the form.

needs refinement.

because it is so "airy" and "light"

its looks like you dont have confidence in your drawings, sketch work, and concepts.

be more confident, bump out those lines.

Guest riege_st

the shampoo sketches are scanned(from marker paper)

some blurry parts are from the scanner, i also had to tweak some areas in photoshop because there were several dark greyish strips after scanning.but still i understand/see what you mean, i'll do them again

i also see it with the walking help sketches, but i don't see this to apply to the walking help render