Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest redback79

«centerskates»

Guest kaiza

the orbit wheel looks like it has the "ultra simple" angle sorted out. No indication in the vid on how they attach to your shoes though (or whether they do at all - there's no jumps in the vid).

I would push the complexity a bit and work on the shoe harness, and possibly whether you could incorporate suspension or shock absorption into the mix.

Guest redback79

Hello everybody,

Thank you very much again for the critics and compliments! :-)

@clark:

I appreciate your critics as well...! BUT: You shold read the initial post again, since there is one important sentense that makes most of your "complaints" unreasonable:

«It shall become the latest in urban sports equipment with a strong focus on a new challange, coolness and fun!»

...which means that I didn't want to design the hardcore transportation device you are talking about!

@kaiza:

The orbit wheels do not attach to your feet whilst the centerskates provide fixation with their cushioning. The tests I did with different cushioning- forms and materials showed, that a simple "squeeze in your foot prinziple" will do the job quite well. However, if you think about a freestyle edition it might well be that an additional strap system is necessery. Here two pics of my simple test device:

post-18040-1219580773.jpg

post-18040-1219580786.jpg

I had multiple reasons that led to an adjustable stance. It was necessery, in order to make the skates as "flat" as possible for transportation purposes. The individual preference of the rider was another not less important reason. Like you might know it from snowboard bindings, everybody has its personal setting. The "ultra simple" angle doesn't really exist. (Since you stand somehow loose in the orbit wheels the freedom of adjusting the stance angle is also given there by using the space to the left- and right of your foot. Twist your foot to adjust the stance... With a cushioning fixation this space simply didn't exist.)

Besides my concerns about the energy loss while riding in a snakeboard manner (suspension might eat up a big amount of the energy you put in, in order to move), it was mainly a design decission that I didn't go for it. I didn't want to have the ringshape around the foot hole broken up by see-trough parts. I wanted a clean, simple and closed shape. The sketches I posted where fairly small so I blew two up that show, how I was thinking about a suspension system. The second pic was the try to quickly assemble it...

post-18040-1219587990.jpg

post-18040-1219588008.jpg

Greetings

redback

Guest clark

yes, perhaps I should probably read the OP before posting

still- you have heard my thoughts and opinions ;)

Guest kaiza

I'm loving all of the quick mockups you did!

Are those actual springs on that last test rig you made? They look like threads in the picture.

Any plans to develop this any further?

Guest hpy

Someone at my uni (dmu) produced what looks to be the exact same idea a few years back, he had trouble stopping without hurting his ankles. shame i can't find the photo's

Guest tomhartshorne
what's wrong with walking?

Its not as fun,

or energy efficient as rolling.

Who cares if its been done before, go to a shop and pick a product, I garuntee youll find one similar, but perhapse not better.

The projects ace as are your render sketches and videos.

Clark,

I think you need to get off the high horse with regards to the perceived value of a project. Presumably you are training to be a product designer? Your job is to design not to invent. Design is about making things better, more desirable, more enjoyable. We are not trying to re-invent the wheel with each project, but we try to enhance the user experience whilst considering the unseen parameters such as manufacturability, cost, environment and return on investment for your customer.

Student projects should be about exploration of ideas and process to get from idea to conclusion. Quite frankly I have sat through enough "right on" portfolio presentations to see that the person in front of me would be a pain in the arse to work with. I would much rather see an enthusiastic, well executed project - with working prototype that fully demonstrates that the student can draw, has great analytical design skills and can deliver the goods.

Sometimes invention results from design work but usually it does not. Usually we are working on incremental enhancements to existing products. That is the business of design.

So redback79, great project, I really enjoyed reading about it, and hopefully you now have a job?

Guest harish
Hello again...

...this might give some answers to open questions:

Watch me and a fellow student (she was a natural talent!) ride the centerskate prototypes. I didn't have the opportunity to bring my riding skills to a higher level. Time was short and the friction of the self-made ballbearing was way to high for smoth rides. The prototypes started to "dissolve" after a few days of testing (metall balls running on plexiglass are not the most endurable combination ;-) )... but still this video shot for docomentation purposes shows quite well where further development might lead to.

Have fun watching!

redback

I love design. This is so sweet. Funny how people think of similar things at the same time though. one question: how's uphill in those things? Looks like it was a blast designing those things! Start to finish, top notch.

Guest fran_g

Dude, congrats...your work is very professional! from the beginning to the end.

If you have a little of time...Can you show us a cut plane of the wheel? Because I am very curious how it works inside.

Thank you for post your work and congrats for your good work again!

Cheers