Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Live Design

Sketch Development

Guest sachin

Your last sketch is much better than before. Just be sure to draw both the front wheels in a sketch. Whats will also be helpful would be to gather sketches of other peoples work who you admire. Looking at such reference is very helpful in developing a style of sketching as well as learning about design.

post-6926-1219246307.jpg

I really don't get that "spokes that just keep going" thing. It looks dumb, IMHO. Bust out the ellipses, and just HINT at the wheel design, because you don't want it to compete with the car design. Here's what I do:

Lancia_Stratos_Concept_by_cash68.jpg

Wheels are barely there, emphasis on the car.

I wouldn't say no wheels is the answer. The body of a car is just a frame for its wheels as many say. You don't want to show off a wheel design, but having some indication of spokes and how they integrate the design is just another detail to add.

Theres definate improvement. I still see some wacky things happening with the proportions try studying some existing cars proportions to see how the car exists if it were just a big block. Then draw that block and cut out the details.

The octagonal wheel well on some of your drawings is a little weird. Try mixing up perspectives - I see you've got a lot of the 3/4 but flat to the ground views - try some from the back, some from up high, some from dead on, learn to explore your forms and understand them from all angles. You're improving though - keep going!

Guest Live Design

cheers guys! i joined this forum quite a while ago and like a lot of people i log on just to see what people are up to and rarely leave comments on other peoples work. Congrats to the founders of the site and those that keep it going. you're doing a great job. when i started this thread i didnt anticipate that the types of comments (if any) that id get would be so constructive. im not from an automotive background but have always wanted to be able to draw cars.

cash 68 - it makes a big difference when someone posts a comment as well as an image for reference so thanks for that. ive got a set of elipse templates but find them hard to use on my tablet in relation to the drawing on screen. does anyone have any tips on this? im trying to go for a sketchy look with my drawings and although i see your point in not having the wheels detract from the design of the car i feel that some kind of spokes look better that a blank space. thats what im attempting to do but im not quite there yet. with the cars that im drawing im not trying to win any awards for design or functionality, im just trying to get loose with my arm motion again. your point is very appreciated though, thanks for your input.

cyberdemon - its dawned on me the last few days that drawing cars is not as straightforward as it might seem. i studied product design and so i had to google what a wheel well was! i started some roughs of some back views today and will post the sketches soon when ive gone over them. i guess at the moment i feel more comfortable doing the flat to the ground perspective although its still not 100% right. Once again thanks for your input! its great when people with more knowledge about certain aspects of design speak up.

Guest Live Design

Inspired by idsketching.com! if you havnt checked it out already make sure you do its ace!

post-6926-1219408312.jpg