Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
tbroen

Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind - A Table Concept

It is still in a standstill, while I'm writing my master. But still considering changes and ways to realize the different parts and what can be changed etc.

/tbroen

Guest lachyg

Wow! Wonderful! I love it! Is there anychance this could ever be made into a product? How much would it really cost, and how much could you get it down to?

Do you do freelance design (CAD) work?

Wow! Wonderful! I love it! Is there anychance this could ever be made into a product? How much would it really cost, and how much could you get it down to?

Do you do freelance design (CAD) work?

Hi lachyg,

About the whole realization part of the concept - judging by the feedback both here and on other blogs I will definitely work further on the project - But that will be at a later time when I have more time to work.

Regarding the cost I guess it all comes down to the desired quality and quantity. I've seen that some thinks that it could be made by IKEA, but thats not really my desired way to go. Primarily due to the quality issues.

If I should give a quick guess it would probably be about $1500 to $2500 (Here in Denmark that's a normal price for a table of that kind) but it also depends on the final features and modules.

And sure I do some freelance CAD work from time to time. But it is mainly for visualization purposes - not for production. I don't have enough experience for that yet. You can see some of my work on my web-page thomasbroen.dk.

Regards

/tbroen

Guest Taro

hey your projects and presentations and stuff are all really great.

But your idea is to keep people focused on their current work right? well, i agree with you that a clean working environment will obviously help, however, its really depended on the person's working habit and how the person focuses.

I mean, if a person is already lazy, he is not going to manage to organize all that stuff, then take it out again. Also, speaking of taking it out, your folder is good, but what about those boxes? How hard is it to get what you want out of those boxes?

Guest TrixieKQ

I'm not a design person, but I wanted to let you know that I love the idea of the desk. I volunteer to be a test subject way over here in the US. (That wouldn't be too expensive now would it? :lmao: )

Seriously though, you have probably already thought of this, but I think something like a dumbwaiter or a vertical drawer would make the modules practical. I have no idea if a vertical drawer even exists, I just made that up. I just know that if I have to pull a box completely out of the desk, set it down, take what I want out or put something in, I will pull it out and it will stay out.

Also, I think that someone else mentioned this, I think an opaque covering for the modules would be best. It would cut down on the "visual clutter" which, for me, is something that I actually need to focus on doing.

Good luck with this. I hope you get this made some day and that I can afford it when you do.

Peace

Guest thomsompw

hey again,

how do you plan on getting the modular system working?

cheers

Any reply to the questions ^^?

Didn't notice there was a new question in the thread so that's why I haven't answered.

I'm looking into some office supply standards to see if there are any existing systems (for archieving etc.) that could be used in the table instead of making completely new modules.

I also need to come up with a system or a way to change the modules easily. With some kind of handles or something. I'm thinking that maybe there is also a need to have a separate unit to store excess modules and extra supplies or archieves.

But as I mentioned earlier the progress is very slow as I'm also working on my master project on the same time. It takes up most of the time. However I've got contacts for 2 different manufacturers, which I'm at some point going to contact and present the concept for, when I've got more time.

Hope that answers your question.

/tbroen

Guest lachyg

Thanks for the replies! Do you think this would be something that would be done in a month, two, 6? I've been looking into this tones! I would love to get something like this made.

Thanks for the replies! Do you think this would be something that would be done in a month, two, 6? I've been looking into this tones! I would love to get something like this made.

It's probably more likely that it is 6 months than two. I've got some friends that have recently gotten a chair made. That have been 2 years from the beginning to first prototype. And considering how much work there is in getting something in production, it is simply on hold for the moment...

/tbroen

Guest thomsompw

I see the ergonomic design, what measurements do you have for the different things? Width / Height / Depth? How big do you plan on the wood bits width being. MDF is like cardboard, very easy to snap!

I can assure you that I have thought about the ergonomic features. Both as to the height, width, depth and "knee banging" factor as some has mentioned. Ant the reach of a person has also been considered.

About the MDF I have to disagree. My experience with MDF is that it is quite durable. I've seen several tables made of MDF. An alternative could off course be plywood.

I don't know how much I can go into detail with the specific measurements, if I want to sell the concept at a later time. I've had several mails from people wanting the CAD drawings. But as for now I will keep them for myself :P

/tbroen