Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
tbroen

Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind - A Table Concept

This table is made as part of a combined school project and competition.

The features should be described through the 3 posters and the concept description.

Let me know what you think of the project as well as the presentation - I'm open for critique.

/tbroen

Modeled in Solidworks and rendered in Hypershot.

PS. I'll be on vacation the next few days, so I probably wont reply promptly to questions/critique.

post-17257-1219000582.jpg

post-17257-1219000609.jpg

post-17257-1225394155.jpg

Guest Land Pirate

I persoally think the table looks great and is a great idea however I don't feel the purpose of the table is clear in the rendering but thats just my opinion otherwise I think itsa great design and can see it developing into something bigger I hope! :D

Guest clark

I really like it, it's sort of what I was going to do for my A2 project but just never got round to doing

I like the concept of just being able to take a section away with you, but depending on the user I think it might have been better to have some sort of filing system, so a modular system within a modular system- because I can see you have those paper binders in the trays, but say you only need to take a few binders with you you wouldn't want to mess up your filing system

actually scratch that, i'm sure people are clever enough to be able to put things back where they took them from :ermm:

in the first render it would be better to put a few sticky notes on the back screen, because I couldnt tell from looking at it that it was a sheet of glass

on a practical note, that desk would be bloody expensive- and i'm sure it would be difficult for a company to warrant buying many of these desks when, just a normal desk+a filing cabinet will do the same task

also how are you going to lock the tilting surface in position, I had that problem and ended up having to scrap the idea

btw did you model the iMac yourself or was it downloaded, if the latter- care to share?

I've modelled the original iMac and a mac pro, and I cba to model the new one right now

I persoally think the table looks great and is a great idea however I don't feel the purpose of the table is clear in the rendering but thats just my opinion otherwise I think itsa great design and can see it developing into something bigger I hope! :D

I must say I've had quite a bit of problems describing the purpose through the posters. Because the entire system is based on an immaterial system. Namely a method called GTD (Getting Things Done) by David Allen. The purpose is to keep in focus, what is most import at a given time. That being either a drawing, flies, the computer etc. And then having everything you need in range.

And I must say that I have plans to make the table for my own apartment.

/tbroen

I really like it, it's sort of what I was going to do for my A2 project but just never got round to doing

I like the concept of just being able to take a section away with you, but depending on the user I think it might have been better to have some sort of filing system, so a modular system within a modular system- because I can see you have those paper binders in the trays, but say you only need to take a few binders with you you wouldn't want to mess up your filing system

actually scratch that, i'm sure people are clever enough to be able to put things back where they took them from :ermm:

I actually started out with looking at normal filing systems but they are actually very big and still only hold A4 paper. I tried to use a different system with a vertical filing system. And the individual files are supposed to be able to be taken out separately.

in the first render it would be better to put a few sticky notes on the back screen, because I couldnt tell from looking at it that it was a sheet of glass

on a practical note, that desk would be bloody expensive- and I'm sure it would be difficult for a company to warrant buying many of these desks when, just a normal desk+a filing cabinet will do the same task

also how are you going to lock the tilting surface in position, I had that problem and ended up having to scrap the idea

I follow you on the sticky note area. However not so much on the price area - but off course it's a production and manufacturing question. I see that there are many parts, which could be quite expensive in the end.

The locking system can be made quite easily. I currently have a table with the system you see below which works quite well.

post-17257-1219949227.jpg

btw did you model the iMac yourself or was it downloaded, if the latter- care to share?

I've modelled the original iMac and a mac pro, and I cba to model the new one right now

I made the model myself in SW I can send it to you if you still would like to have it. Just PM me your mail, or I'll see if I can upload it here in the post.

/tbroen

Guest ViperGTSeb

My feedback from the first view is that it's a very nice table, and by the way, I like the name of it OSOM... which we can read as " Awesome". However I want to share some remarks that came into my mind.

When I see the first board, and read the concept "out of sight"... "clean" "simple". i have to say there is a bit too much information on the rendering so the image doesn't really fit your concept. I first though there was a mirror on the back, and just after I notice it was a glass. But if we want to keep focus on the work, and have a clean environment... It would probably be better not to see the other desk, or the wall if its put against one. I would also minimize the reflecting and glossy surfaces.

There is a usability question also around the removable modules, how to remove them? is there space to put the fingers? On the picture the edge between the cases and the table looks narrow all around, so there might be some interest in adding some of these details...

anyway, very nice concept, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback Viper.

Just a few remarks on your comments.

After not working on the table for some weeks I've also given the surfaces some thought. On the renderings my initial thought was that the glossy surface would look more appealing in the renderings - It has more of an exclusive look. But in reality, a matte surface would be preferable. less visible scratches and no annoying light reflections.

And I've thought of using light frosted glass on the backplate as well so you wont be distracted by your colleagues on the other side of the table.

And the removal of the modules are still a work in progress. I'm looking into adding some kind of handles that make the handling easier.

/tbroen

Guest John Fitzsimmons

original concepts. How about making the whole table adjustable in height? how about extensions like the old fashioned desks had? How about a roll away module that would allow files and materials to be brought to a meeting down the hall? and double as a work area? How about a flat slot, ie a area under the top surface for stroring paper pads etc, is a one drawer flat file. Lots of electrical connections, look at P+S pop up recepticals.

Excellent - far better than that bungle that that other thing earlier this year was. I can't friggin' remember what it was called and I looked all through my magazines and I can't find it, but one end looked crumpled up and you were supposed to just stuff all your s#!t under it, totally crazy. I'm sure one of you awesome designers with four or five orange cubes will be able to remember it. So right, this is way better. and I don't see how cost would be higher than any other table - just looks like some stamped metal and spring-loaded ball bearing... er... whatever you call those things.... I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

WOW that looks EXACTLY like my concept for my 3d class half a year ago.

but props on refining it.

mine only got to the beginning stages, cuz the scale was too big for the project.

WOW that looks EXACTLY like my concept for my 3d class half a year ago.

but props on refining it.

mine only got to the beginning stages, cuz the scale was too big for the project.

In that case - I hope you liked the table you made :P

Guest STOPNGO

Nice idea. The visuals are a bit overwhelming. It took me a minute to look at everything that is going on before I was able to take in the full scope of your concept.