Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest unhappymaiden04

Is Tracing Bad?

Guest unhappymaiden04

hey guys! I am a newbie product designer (handbag designer) for a teens' bag brand. Just wanna ask if tracing in illustrator is ok,cuz I have done it so many times...especially when time is scarce and I was required to produce lots of designs,what I do is trace then incorporate my own style...is this bad? I can draw on the computer myself,but the results depend on my mood for that particular day...if I'm inspired,I can draw bags directly from the computer,also if there's no time pressure. I am required to produce 16 different designs of bags everyday...and everytime I'm under time pressure,I trace. Is it a bad thing?please give me some advice...thanks a lot.

I guess it depends on how you use tracing. Many use tracing just to get the right proportions and shape or perspective. And it is quite normal to trace your own designs.

However if you trace, as in copy, other peoples designs I personally don't think it's okay - no matter whatever time pressure you may be under. Unless of course it's another person within the company who designed the original.

If for instance you traced a D&G handbag and made it just with another pattern, I would almost consider it stealing, if the original designer isn't credited.

But to sum it up - It very much depends on how you use tracing.

/tbroen

Guest Skint

I agree with tbroen. Tracing can be used to increase your sketching skills... nothing wrong with that. Copying a design is where you will be going wrong if thats what you are doing...firstly because you could get into trouble from it.. and secondly.. your not learning anything or designing your own style, wheres the fun in that ?

If you want to incorporate someone elses design into yours then thats ok too... but ask thier permission first.

Guest unhappymaiden04
I guess it depends on how you use tracing. Many use tracing just to get the right proportions and shape or perspective. And it is quite normal to trace your own designs.

However if you trace, as in copy, other peoples designs I personally don't think it's okay - no matter whatever time pressure you may be under. Unless of course it's another person within the company who designed the original.

If for instance you traced a D&G handbag and made it just with another pattern, I would almost consider it stealing, if the original designer isn't credited.

But to sum it up - It very much depends on how you use tracing.

/tbroen

yeah I do trace to get the right perspective and shape...cuz I have problems with that,although I am trying to improve my skills in that part...

I would love to sketch more,it's just that people here are after the quantity not the quality of the work which is why i feel so bad because I think that I cannot fully show my capabilities and creativity as an artist ;) I will be doing the sketching thing starting on my next collection,and I will try to impose on them that it's the quality of the work and not the quantity we should be after...I just wish I could get my message through to them...they can be very difficult sometimes...

anyways,thanks a lot for that. Can you give me some sites wherein I could read up on some drawing/product design sketching? I really want to improve my craft more...please? :blush:

Guest unhappymaiden04
I agree with tbroen. Tracing can be used to increase your sketching skills... nothing wrong with that. Copying a design is where you will be going wrong if thats what you are doing...firstly because you could get into trouble from it.. and secondly.. your not learning anything or designing your own style, wheres the fun in that ?

If you want to incorporate someone elses design into yours then that's ok too... but ask thier permission first.

I don't copy designs...but my boss sometimes asks me to do it though...and oftentimes I try as much as I can not to copy them...it just makes me feel so useless...much more like a pawn and not an artist...you see,people here are very scared of trying new things,like new color combinations or new handbag shapes...they want to see other brands try it first- and if turns out to be successful,then that's the time that they will start doing those designs for their brand. That thing makes me really sad,cuz I feel so useless and incapable of doing my part as a designer...;)

By the way,I hope you could give me some tips on what website should I visit to improve my sketching skills (particularly the perspective thing- I just can't seem to get it right!!!) and some sites on product designing as well.

I would really appreciate the help! thanks a lot!!!

I must say, that with regrads to sketching, I think you've already found one of the best resources here on Product Design Forums. If you want more, try and check the forum for book recommendations.

/tbroen

Guest Skint
I don't copy designs...but my boss sometimes asks me to do it though...and oftentimes I try as much as I can not to copy them...it just makes me feel so useless...much more like a pawn and not an artist...you see,people here are very scared of trying new things,like new color combinations or new handbag shapes...they want to see other brands try it first- and if turns out to be successful,then that's the time that they will start doing those designs for their brand. That thing makes me really sad,cuz I feel so useless and incapable of doing my part as a designer...:(

By the way,I hope you could give me some tips on what website should I visit to improve my sketching skills (particularly the perspective thing- I just can't seem to get it right!!!) and some sites on product designing as well.

Dont feel so sad... It sounds more like your company is the one lacking skills and drive to design.. not you ;)

Practice your own designs in your spare time. You may even come up with a great idea/design to show them which convinces them to approach the market in a different way, instead of them following the sheep to the wolves den !

Guest unhappymaiden04
I don't copy designs...but my boss sometimes asks me to do it though...and oftentimes I try as much as I can not to copy them...it just makes me feel so useless...much more like a pawn and not an artist...you see,people here are very scared of trying new things,like new color combinations or new handbag shapes...they want to see other brands try it first- and if turns out to be successful,then that's the time that they will start doing those designs for their brand. That thing makes me really sad,cuz I feel so useless and incapable of doing my part as a designer...:(

Dont feel so sad... It sounds more like your company is the one lacking skills and drive to design.. not you :D

Practice your own designs in your spare time. You may even come up with a great idea/design to show them which convinces them to approach the market in a different way, instead of them following the sheep to the wolves den !

yeah thanks :) I do have a lot of ideas in store...and I might just incorporate them into my latest collection...I do hope this will convince them to change the outlook of our company when it comes to designing... :)

anyways can you recommend some helpful sites on sketching and designing (aside from this forum of course :) )

Guest CheckMate

i think its not very creative. its not original and its lazy you should consider the form of the bag that is dictated by fashion, ergonomics and manufacture to strive to create truely authentic designs. you won't ever create an iconic piece of fashion copying but then again you might not be in that league anyway working for a teen brand and imitation might be reasonable alternative to the real thing.

Guest Lilith

mmm i think you should continue working in that company , doing what you do meanwhile, put aside some money from your salary and spend your free evenings improving your sketching skills and one day when you feel confident enough with some money resources and considerable level of drawing skills, just leave the company and find a better place you want to be and work. hey thats my own evil plan i am on right now B) good luck and yeah dont worry about tracing stuff, as long as you know thats not what you want to do

Guest Crit7171

I think what the company is really scared of is the thought of another company coming up with a better design not necessarily new ideas. For example if one company comes up with a new idea they like, and introduces it to the market and another company comes up with a similar idea thats even better then it would create chaos, and a huge loss of money for the first company.

Idsketching.com has a list of links in relation to design that you might find useful, including the website itself.

http://www.idsketching.com/essentials/

Guest unhappymaiden04
mmm i think you should continue working in that company , doing what you do meanwhile, put aside some money from your salary and spend your free evenings improving your sketching skills and one day when you feel confident enough with some money resources and considerable level of drawing skills, just leave the company and find a better place you want to be and work. hey thats my own evil plan i am on right now ;) good luck and yeah dont worry about tracing stuff, as long as you know thats not what you want to do

yeah,i am so thankful that you understood exactly what I am going through...thanks really. :)

Guest pencil

I can sympathise with you and your frustration. It often happens when managers are more focused on the business than being driven by design. Your focus should always be on the design so that is good. The trouble is its almost impossible for you to introduce a culture of innovation to a poorly managed company. I think that as employers begin to know you and trust you they leave you alone much more. high concept output is good, but in the right way!

Stay for a while, get what you can out if it. and Move on!! do freelance work as well if you can. dont loose your creativity or ZINg though!

Guest unhappymaiden04
i think its not very creative. its not original and its lazy you should consider the form of the bag that is dictated by fashion, ergonomics and manufacture to strive to create truely authentic designs. you won't ever create an iconic piece of fashion copying but then again you might not be in that league anyway working for a teen brand and imitation might be reasonable alternative to the real thing.

All you said were true,but then again,it's my boss's fault that I am tracing...It's what they wanted. That is why I am trying to make them understand that copying other brand's designs is never gonna make us on top of the competition. My employers are kinda hard to persuade in trying new things,they want to make sure that it's gonna sell first. They're main concern is to earn money,which is not right especially in this field of fashion. It is hard to think out of the box cuz they were all trying to make me embrace their "standards". Anyways,I just hope you don't jump into conclusions about the kind of designer that I am,cuz you never knew the real story and situation that I am in. Another thing is,the reason why I am asking this is because I want to know other artists' or designers' opinion regarding this dilemma that I am going through and not because I want justification of this tracing thing. I hope you could give me advice on how to develop products and authentic designs,I am a newbie and I want to make real authentic designs and want to really learn this craft.Thanks!!! :)