Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DGA

Delft, Spd, Life

Guest DGA

hi guys,

I'm applying for Master of Strategic Product Design at Delft ( summer 09 to summer 11 ), right now I'm chewing through the 2-3k letter of motivation and some confidentiality-issues about my last project, but still, some questions remain...

I've now heard from numerous acquaintances that Delft is a lovely town for students and it's all great and sweet- but I'm still a bit concerned about living. I know, before even being accepted, it might be a little soon to be thinking about it, but a former student of my university in Linz told me that living alone would be around 700€ per month...can you confirm that number?

also, he mentioned that student homes are overcrowded in so far as that there's loads of applicants...is it worth trying?

anyways...I'm just gathering information and trying to get my act together before September, then send my application and hope for the best...and IF I get accepted, I just hope that "Strategic Product Design" is the right thing to do...I really feel a tendency towards economics inside me, ...

if you've got any pointers or useful hints and tricks to share, I'd be happy to read them!

greets from vienna!

living alone would be around 700€ per month...can you confirm that number?

also, he mentioned that student homes are overcrowded in so far as that there's loads of applicants...is it worth trying?

700€ per month is normal. A student room costs around 300€. So there is 400€ left for food, transportation and hanging out in bars. 100€ per week for those needs are minimal I believe. Or you can live on bread only and do not socialize with alcohol, then you can save some bucks.

I had difficulties finding a room in Delft, so I was living in Rotterdam, quite nearby Delft. I would not recommend Rotterdam if you want to save money. It is big city in which you may easily spend more money on more things you can do.

By the way, many students do take part time jobs to cover the expenses. And some jobs pay quite well, around 20€ / hour or more. Bar tending or other serving jobs in restaurant pay well.

Guest AlexIO

Hey I study in Delft as well, if you want to get a room in Delft you should start looking in december when the students started in september already got a room. When trying to look for a room you should also try to get in touch with an organisation www.duwo.nl (also english) is a good site to start your search!

Good Luck