Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PEDROBRAS

Which Version Of Painter?

Guest PEDROBRAS

hey how're you guys doing?

A few weeks ago I bought a tablet for me..., I've been using it with photoshop CS... I noticed that lots of people here use corel painter...so i'm thinking about getting one for me...which version of painter should I have? wich one is the best? or it's pretty much the same thing as photoshop?

thnks!

Guest patywagon

I don't believe any of them are the same or close to photoshop. Photoshop uses vectors while painter doesn't. I could be wrong. Painter is like alias sketchbook but more advanced from my understanding.

I have the new sketchbook corel painter and with alias photoshop features I don't think I'll touch corel painter again perhaps even photoshop.

Hope this helps some.

I don't believe any of them are the same or close to photoshop. Photoshop uses vectors while painter doesn't. I could be wrong. Painter is like alias sketchbook but more advanced from my understanding.

I have the new sketchbook corel painter and with alias photoshop features I don't think I'll touch corel painter again perhaps even photoshop.

Hope this helps some.

You're wrong.

Photoshop is primarily a raster program like painter. Illustrator is a vector program. While photoshop can create vector paths, they're used for generating raster graphics. The biggest difference is that photoshop is much more heavily oriented towards image retouching and correction while painter is primarily focused on its organic brush effects.

If you're going to get painter you might as well get the most recent version. No point in going with an old version.

Each tool has it's advantages and can produce great results - it simply comes down to which one you want to spend the most time learning.

Guest JelleT

I've worked with both. If you're only going to use it for sketch purposes I'd choose Painter. Photoshop is more advanced in the grafic part, basically stands in between Illustrator and Painter. I find Painter more intuitive when sketching, be aware when using selection masks though, chances are Painter crashes when you're working with lots of them.

Guest Nephtis

I also use painter and photoshop and the ability to turn your artwork in realtime constantly is invaluable. You aren't able to do that in Photoshop which makes it less suited for sketching.

Also, there are far more tools in painter than in photoshop. Photoshop basicly uses one airbrush in multiple settings. In painter you can use around 40 different types of brushes, divided in airbrush, chalk, pen, pencil, feltpen, watercolor, pastel, oilpaint etc. Then each of those is divided in multiple kinds. For instance, airbushes contain a couple of broad brushes, digital airbushes, spatter brushes, fine detail etc.

If you want to draw, painter is more suited. If you want to retouch a photo, photoshop will be the best option.

Guest PEDROBRAS

thanks for replying...I believe that Painter suites my needs better...

thanks again!

pedro

Guest PEDROBRAS

just one more question...

how about alias sketchbook pro??? is it better than painter or pretty much the same thing?

thanks!

pedro

Guest Nephtis
just one more question...

how about alias sketchbook pro??? is it better than painter or pretty much the same thing?

thanks!

pedro

I tried it and it is basically a light version of painter. As it says, it's for sketching mostly. I find it to be a bit too simple. Get painter and you can do the same and more.

But I believe you can get a demo of sketchbook at their site. See for yourself.

Guest PEDROBRAS

Oh, I see...guess I'm really going for Painter X...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Pedro