Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RAI

Pencil Or Ball Point Pen ?

Guest Crit7171

That is a nice trick Penguin for drawing still life's, thanks for teaching me that lol tried it as soon as I read it. Although I won't be able to use the method for ID. It forces my hand to be still, and accurate at times when I want to be loose.

I'm just now starting to try using 1 gray tone to render my sketches. Saw an example of it the other day so I'm going to try it all day until I get a good one.

Guest Spezz
I would choose the pen, simply coz u can't erase it...then you have to try until you get the perfect line, thats the best way to practice and learn, if you use a pencil you erase the wrong line and sometimes the next line get wrong too...if that line were made with the pen, you would see the mistake and do better line...(soory about the english, hope u could get the idea)

see ya

Trying to nail the line perfectly the first time isn't a valid argument imho, nobody says you have to sketch something out perfectly the first time. You can redo sketches or do an overlay once your proportions and the basic shapes are set up.

I have found personally that trying to get perfect line quality the first time will hinder my creativity, because I'm worried more about the quality of the sketch than about what I'm sketching.

It all comes down to personall preference. I have seen a ton of awesome sketches made with pen, pencil, whatever...

Guest Crit7171

I have seen a ton of awesome sketches made with pen, pencil, whatever...

Speaking of awesome sketches show us some of those awesome sketches that you've seen =]

Guest PEDROBRAS

hey spez...I completely agree with u man, its just that for me it works better with the pen, when i do a sketch, and the perspective is wrong, i need to see the wrong line(s) and do a better one next to it, if i use a pencil 'im instinctively (does that work exist???) erase it...

see u around...

Guest Ash27

post-38123-1274762061.jpg

I sketch with pen because its cheaper! You don't need to sharpen a pen, hence they last a lot longer than using pencils. A pencil for being a buck a pop and $12-14 a box can add up.

Plus, if you want to use marker with a ballpoint pen, then the AD chartpak marker would be your best bet. The colors aren't as good as prismas though.

I firstly draw cars and bikes wid d pencil cuz it give u a plus point dat if u wanna rub something den its easy 4 u!! But if ur free hand dawing is good enough u can directly go wid d pen(ball point pen) !!

post-38123-1274762087.jpg