Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RAI

Pencil Or Ball Point Pen ?

Guest RAI

hello guys

is there a specific using for a ball point pen and the pencil in the sketching ?

and if there is ; what is it ??

Guest kaiza

ball point may smudge when you go over it with marker. If you're planning on adding a bit of marker, sketch in pencil, add marker then use pen to give a nice defined line

Guest RAI
ball point may smudge when you go over it with marker. If you're planning on adding a bit of marker, sketch in pencil, add marker then use pen to give a nice defined line

ok, but when i want to make a sketching without rendering , like development stage and the first stage ; these stages need pen or pencil or am free to choose ?

Guest Spezz

you don't NEED to do anything, haha. Choose whichever you like best.

I use both, randomly. I guess I prefer to draw cars with pencils, but it's really about how well you draw, not what you draw it with.

Guest RAI
you don't NEED to do anything, haha. Choose whichever you like best.

I use both, randomly. I guess I prefer to draw cars with pencils, but it's really about how well you draw, not what you draw it with.

so thats it ?

am laughing at my self now:lmao:

because there's some one has told me about the pen its better because it has a good value and strongs lines ..

and other times i saw the pencil is better sometimes.. :D

thanx guys .....

Guest P3NGU1N

I believe there is a mental aspect to it. You know that pen is permanent and pencil is not. So what happens is that a pen forces you to commit. This is the way I see it. Any input from others regarding the mind set that each instrument puts you in?

Guest tadosempe

what penguin said. A pen forces you to concentrate more cos your next stroke is not something you will be able to cancel out. You improve faster with a pen also (IMO)

Guest RAI

you know ??!

i have used the pen for a year , really it was a good stuff , and its give me a strong lines and of course a strong sketching ...

but i see some toturial they use the pen and the pencil , but i didnt know what is the specific using for every one and y they use the pencil as example , but now : its the choice refer to the person it self .. :D

Guest PEDROBRAS

I would choose the pen, simply coz u can't erase it...then you have to try until you get the perfect line, thats the best way to practice and learn, if you use a pencil you erase the wrong line and sometimes the next line get wrong too...if that line were made with the pen, you would see the mistake and do better line...(soory about the english, hope u could get the idea)

see ya

Guest sachin

I sketch with pen because its cheaper! You don't need to sharpen a pen, hence they last a lot longer than using pencils. A pencil for being a buck a pop and $12-14 a box can add up.

Plus, if you want to use marker with a ballpoint pen, then the AD chartpak marker would be your best bet. The colors aren't as good as prismas though.

Guest RAI
I would choose the pen, simply coz u can't erase it...then you have to try until you get the perfect line, thats the best way to practice and learn, if you use a pencil you erase the wrong line and sometimes the next line get wrong too...if that line were made with the pen, you would see the mistake and do better line...(soory about the english, hope u could get the idea)

see ya

your idea about the pen is the first idea that i have learned about it.. u r right about it ..

(dont worry about your english because am like you , and i understood you well :)

Guest RAI
I sketch with pen because its cheaper! You don't need to sharpen a pen, hence they last a lot longer than using pencils. A pencil for being a buck a pop and $12-14 a box can add up.

Plus, if you want to use marker with a ballpoint pen, then the AD chartpak marker would be your best bet. The colors aren't as good as prismas though.

really on these last days i found what r you talking about ,,always the pencil need to sharpen , although the pen is more expensive than the pencil , but really i found it better.. :)

about the markers ; i use two king of markers ( magic marker , kurecolor ) and both are twin tips..

Guest P3NGU1N

I believe AD markers are banned from the industry. Atleast in the US, anyway. They're simply too toxic for long term use.

In terms of feel with each medium I've found that you can get much more gestural with pencil. It's much easier to get varying line weights. Pens are more precise and give a more mechanical look to your drawings. I'll add more when it comes to me.

Guest Crit7171

I agree with Penguin although the pencils smudge for me because I like to keep my hands on the paper while drawing. A 0.9 blue led mechanical pencil is really nice to use when it comes to line weight. Just in case anyone hasn't already said this.

Hb , 2B, 6B pencil preferred.

I think the bleeding effect from a ballpoint pen using marker looks cool in some areas of the car lets say the shadow. Allows you to shade in all ranges of darks and lights. For example if you use a 10 percent warm gray on a shaded area with ballpoint pen, it turns out to be a dark purple with texture. Can't get that with a marker by itself.

Guest P3NGU1N

Crit: A good way to help you get most of your hand off the page of the paper is to just use the finger nail tip of your pinky as a ground. This way you have feedback from the surface of the paper or drawing plane and you should be able to sketch relatively comfortably in that position. Let me know how that goes for you.

As far as Pencils are concerned. I don't use mechanical pencils for sketching, if anyone is wondering. Generally if I use pencils I use the Faber Castell Polychromos which most closely (as far as I've gotten anyway) match the Copic Toner Grey set. That way if you shade over your marker rendering with a polychromos then it would be equivalent of using a Toner Grey over it. The pencil also helps in smoothing out gradations if you have a round surface.