Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomhartshorne

graphics tablet

Guest Jakska

I "googled" pentagram tablet and they look very similar to the Aiptek one mentioned in the second post...

Well, I know it is tempting, but I know from experience that it's better to buy no tablet and save up a bit more till you can buy a Wacom than to buy a cheaper tablet like Aiptek or something. I did it and just after a while I found out the tablet I had was crap and I wished I hadn't spent my cash on that. I now have a Wacom and seriously, it's much better.

This exact same thing happened to me; I bought a cheap tablet thinking it was going to be great, but alas... It was not. The mouse was terrible, the batteries wore down so often it was gonna end up costing as much as a Wacom anyway, and then after about a month, it stopped working completely! Just ignore any other tablets, go for a Wacom straight off.

Now I have a 4x6 Wacom Intuos3 and it's great :P .

Guest Wally
I know this is pretty much the same question, but I'm also not verry sure to spent €458 on the intuos 3 a4. I am oly 15 years old and see myself only as an amature.

Should I take somethimg cheaper, or will the A5 be sufficient allready.

Please comment.

Xander

A5 is best suited to 17" to 19" displays, the A4 to larger

Guest CalumT

What dose everyone think to the 'Wacom Volito 2 (A6 size)'? Im not sure if they are two small for a 17'' screen.

Also where would you reccomend buying wacom pads cheaply?

Thanks,

-CalumT

Guest kotik

Wacom Intuos 2 Renzsu suggested costs around 5000-7000 Kr (650 - 800 $) here. Thats more than what my PC is worth :).

P.S: I get this PC mag every month. This month there was a tablet (Trust Wireless Scroll Tablet 1200-V2) with USB 2.0 that cost 995 kr (125$). What should I go for? One that costs 600$ or perhaps a crapier one that costs 650$, perhaps a little more?

I'm not sure if people have tried these non-wacom tablets and are content with their performance..

oh and $800?? Man that's expensive!

Guest oDaYWaLKeRo

I use WACOM IntuosII A5 and 19" monitor. I am pretty happy with them. I' ve heard that some AIPTEK Hyperpen users have bad experiments about the software. But never tried it.

Guest kekata

yeah, i have Aiptek U1200 - A4, it's not bad at all, but that thing is losing any pressure under Photoshop CS2 - everything is fine in Painter and Alias Sketchbook, but Potoshop... :( so - just buy WACOM :D

Guest Wally
intuos 3 a5 .....

i assure you that it's enough , I had cintiq 19 inch at work and I own a intuos 3 a5 at home .But i don't feel too much difference between them ,honestly.

My suggestion is not to buy graphire. That's not for drawing in my opinion.

go for Intuos 3 A5 ... it's around 350 euros if you live in europe, in U.S. it's much cheaper though  B)

Exactly what i was going to say. I'd prefer using an A5 tablet on a 17-19" screen because whenever i try and do a large curve, usually with my whole arm, it cocks up majorly, but with a smaller tablet i can draw accurate curves with my wrist, which translate to a larger size on-screen. Also, it's reasonably priced

Guest cmegens

@ kotik and the rest of you:

Never buy anything else than a Wacom. Trust, aiptek, medion, pentagram all sell the same tablets and they are rubbish. I mean really rubbish, made-in-taiwan style.

If you can't afford an intuos, at least get a Graphire XL. They are also A5 and are a little less precise than the intuos, but still fairly ok. If you are a beginner or don't have that much to spent: graphire XL.

Never buy an A6 tablet like the normal graphire, and volito. Besides being too small, the volito also is too inprecise. So save up a bit. THe graphire XL a5 costs about €180,-

Guest Zampik

I would never trust to product like Trust, aiptek, medion even you can save the money.....my friend using genius small one and he is I thinkg satisfied...but I just worked with wacom tablets...I was trying Cintiq and work with is really nice.....but a bit expensive.....

but it is fine that we have more companies to produce tablets.....It could force Wacom to decrease price, I wish...

Guest charly_senn

Thought I'd give my penny's worth...

I wanted a graphics tablet after seeing my mate do some sweet car renderings.

I researched all the available types (Trust etc etc) and came to the conclusion that there really is no substitue for a Wacom for all the reasons that people have said already in this thread.

In the end I went for an A4+ serial version (narrowly missed out on an A3 due to cost etc).

Regarding the size to go for, I read the rule that get the graphics tablet size that best fits the size of your screen - Ie if you work on a 21" monitor, go for an A3 tablet etc. This way pen movement is 1:1 to screen.

Of course they are expensive, but the cheapest place I found to get a Wacom's is www.unlimited.com. Go to their 'clearance corner' and select to view Wacom items. They have an ever changing list of products that are ex demo or returns. They don't come with full guarantee but I got mine there two years ago and it still works fine.

For example today (19.08.05) they have an A3 Intuos2 USB for £330 -VAT

Last thing I'll add - I bought mine for 'life' and career. Expensive, but a small price to pay for the future?

Charly

Guest lufrbasketch

I have a 19" TFT. I will be starting my second year at Loughborough in October, does anyone recomend a tablet to me? I have read some of the replies but I still cant make up my mind.