Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomhartshorne

graphics tablet

Guest tomhartshorne

:D i'm looking to buy a tablet but not sure which one. i've heard that wacom's are the only way forward but i only have about £60 ($115) to spend.

can anyone help?

any advice or information would be greatly appreciated

thnk you ;)

Well, I know it is tempting, but I know from experience that it's better to buy no tablet and save up a bit more till you can buy a Wacom than to buy a cheaper tablet like Aiptek or something. I did it and just after a while I found out the tablet I had was crap and I wished I hadn't spent my cash on that. I now have a Wacom and seriously, it's much better.

edit: I know crap won't mean a lot to you, so to explain: The cheap tablet had a pen that works with a battery, which goes flat before you know it. Also, when your pen-tip has worn away, you can buy a new tablet, because you can't get spare tips. The cursor didn't relate to the movement I made, pressure sensitivity was way off.. oh, and the driver didn't make much sense to me.

I have none of these problems with my Wacom Intuos 2. So much less to worry about.

Guest tomhartshorne

thanks very much for your fast reply!

i think its pretty much confirmed that wacoms are the only way. i'll have a look for cheap ones or second hand.

Yeah second hand will be good.. I know the Wacom Intuos 3 series has recently been released, but the series 1 or 2 will still be nice.

What size are you thinking of getting? I'd go with an A4 (9x12 I think it is in non-metric measurements ;) ). A5 can be good, but it works more comfortable if screen and tablet size more or less match, so you don't feel like every move you make is exaggerated (of course, you can assign only part of the screen to the tablet, but that doesn't really work well for sketching).

Guest Xander

I know this is pretty much the same question, but I'm also not verry sure to spent €458 on the intuos 3 a4. I am oly 15 years old and see myself only as an amature.

Should I take somethimg cheaper, or will the A5 be sufficient allready.

Please comment.

Xander

Guest DreaM

intuos 3 a5 .....

i assure you that it's enough , I had cintiq 19 inch at work and I own a intuos 3 a5 at home .But i don't feel too much difference between them ,honestly.

My suggestion is not to buy graphire. That's not for drawing in my opinion.

go for Intuos 3 A5 ... it's around 350 euros if you live in europe, in U.S. it's much cheaper though ;)

Guest Xander

Doesn't a5 make drawing with your arms and shoulder impossible, it seems to me that a5 is meant for wrist drawing.

Guest DreaM

it feels a bit strange after cintiq of course , but i am fine with it...

you have to try and see for yourself.

for me no problem;i don't do landscape paintings so i normally use my wrist to illustrate ;)

It's a bit bigger than a5 also :)

Hm I think you should be ok, just force yourself not to flex your wrist too much when you're trying to get nice fluent lines. Just remembered that in the Scott Robertson dvd's you can see him drawing tiny thumbnail sketches and still he keeps his wrist straight, so I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to use this technique on an A5 tablet..

at home i'm working on an A6 wacom tablet for coloring(rendering) work. that works pretty well. but for putting linework you should have an A4 to work comfortably. so if you prefer doing linework on paper, then you don't need an A4 imo. just scan the linework, correct it with PS and color it with an A5 or A6. btw, i don't work with my wrist on my A6.. it's good to get used to work with the whole arm for throwing straight lines.

Guest Xander

Does anyone know what Corel Painter Essentials 2 is all about? (It's included with the tablet) Is it a demo, or a full program and how useful is it?

It is the stripped down version of Painter9. Very cool for the budget conscious. Considering that ID rendering techniques are best when simple Painter Essentials is a good prog- very similar to Alias Sketch actually. Actually prefer it to Alias becasuse of canvas rotate capabilities

Guest Danielus

Hi,

Anyone here know "Pentagram" tablets? They seemed to be mighty, and in reasonable price, but beside oohs and ahs in the computer press, I did'nt meet any user opinion yet.

Thnx.

Danny