Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest firecracker

Reccomend Me Some Books...

Guest firecracker

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any informative yet 'fun' and easy going books about

engineering, electronics, technology, manufacture, model making etc.

I have no particular expertise or knowledge in any form of engineering/mathematics/science.

But I am a practical person who enjoys learning by making things.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books which contain a lot of useful technical information, or slightly irrelavant but fun stuff. Things that would fall into the category of 'hobby engineering' I guess.

I dont mind stuff that is super old, I would like to learn about traditional skills like welding and investment casting.

Or technology such as electronic circuitry, micro controllers, LED projects, electrical generators and motors.

Also 'how things work' type books, that are not aimed at small children! Maybe some Automotive technology too.

And last of all, up to date encyclopedia style books of manufacturing, rapid prototyping and perhaps something that would help me learn engineering mathematics!

Guest kaiza

http://www.instructables.com/

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/

There's probably more emphasis on the "do" rather than the "how" but there's plenty you can learn in a practical way.

Otherwise, head to your local electronics store and pick up one of the kits that comes with breadboard, components and an instruction book on how to make a whole bunch of projects. Should give you some fundamentals in electronics.

Also, do you have access to a/your uni library? Hit up the engineering section, there'll be plenty of textbooks.

Guest firecracker

thankyou Kaiza for those suggestions, they look good.

I would like some books hehee!

I dont have much books about anything because I cant afford them, luckily however I received a book allowance so have around $400 (£200) to spend on books. No mattter how much cool stuff there is on the net, I find I learn best from books. And id really like to use my book allowance on some technical resources rather than some poncy artsy "design theory/history books"