Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest taryn paper

A Hot Girl' Portfolio Needs Some Reviewing!

Guest taryn paper

Hello friends, my portfolio is too big to post here, I tried everything to reduce the size but its at least 2.6 MB so please go to my portfolio website here: TARYN ZYCHALS PORTFOLIO

I am looking for some feedback on my portfolio. I just graduated from the Art Institute of Philadelphia and although everyone really liked my portfolio there, I feel like sometimes they just liked ME so I would really appreciate some new fresh feedback.

I really think that my portfolio reflects who I am, so I hope you all think its awesome!

I'm applying to jobs in home product design, but if anyone can recommend a place to apply based off of what you see, I would really appreciate it!

THANKS ALOT!

<3 Taryn

Guest antidesign

Nice title! Watch you grammar and spelling though.

Your portfolio is consistently laid out which is good. It's not stylish you don't demonstrate really strong skills in sketching, 2D rendering, CAD but the folio is full of interesting little ideas and importantly they are justified and communicated well.

Overall I think it suits well what you are aiming to do.

If you want to compete with the best you need to clean up the graphical appearance of the pages but at the moment it seems to work OK.

Crit. of the weaker boards: I think you could get away with cutting out the chess set or at least change the background colour. There are too many repeat images of the salt and pepper shaker and you might want to do something about the rendering of the camera. I'm not in love with the form of the pen as it has a kind of unintuitive shape. And also the large white block on the left of the page doesn't work well graphically.

Cheers

Guest Lilith
... although everyone really liked my portfolio there, I feel like sometimes they just liked ME so I would really appreciate some new fresh feedback.

:) well i am already bias after reading the title, so i guess you wont get new fresh and honest feedback here as well :)

your portfolio is different and nice, as your sketches are more "arty" then industrial and the projects are refreshing

my only suggestion is - reduce the amount of works, just chose the BEST ones and get rid of the rest, i know you might really like them all, but for ex. "old and random works" section could be divided into industrial design and sketches sections, i mean prioritise quality and not quantity

good luck!

Guest Nephtis

I was a little biased too, you don't start a post with the notion that you think you are hot and the fact that you think that everybody likes you.

As the good and honest post-ers as we are, we judge you by your portfolio and work.

About the port, it is decent, but not exceptional in a specific area. I like the trashcan, but most of your products seem a bit more art related than strategic design related. I also agree with antidesign, add more sketches, show the progress of the design and how and why you think this design is the best solution to any problem. Also, clean it up, your backgrounds do nothing more than join the pages together and add clutter. The aesthetic of the design doesn't get the attention it deserves now.

I think you could be a capable designer, but you just need to focus on your skills and the intend of the design.

Guest shyamsun

From an overview of your port, I thought you were into toy designing as the color and the format of your page were toy designish. Also the pockets of white space creates interest. But as everyone said above as industrial designer you have to show some development stage works. Though there is a variety of projects they seems not well thought out. The camera and the rexona project seems to have more sketches than others maybe you could stress on those images. You got to have some exploded and manufacturing process shown somewhere.

Some guidelines that you could use to present a project is : Project goals> target group> research> user scenario,storyboard>concept sketches> design iteration>final design>explanatory views and sketches showing human scale>ortho views to show dimension>exploded views showing material and parts>maybe color variations> and other extra stuff like competitive market, marketing ads etc.

For a teaser you could reduce these but many designers want to see that this concept can really be manufactured, how you evolved this design and a view of some scale ( I see you have scale in some projects but make sure you have it in every project).

As for sketches I think you need to improve more on that. There are different styles for eg. a stroke line which gradates from thick to thin or a thick outer shell line and inner thinner lines. What you have in your sketches seems to have one point stroke lines which visually doesnt give depth and its difficult to understand the shape. Monochromatic is good but even in that you need to show parameters of reflection, shadow and others. Also remember that all product coloring is based on 3 sides and none of the sides are same so assume one light source have the color light and the side where the shadow is going to be, do it dark. so when you view you will have dark, light and lighter shades. This will give some depth to your product sketch. Giving a drop shadow will also give more depth than just the product flying in air.

SInce you know photoshop and illustrator scan your sketches and improve those shading parameters. I know it is difficult to sketch but with all these software you could make bad look really good. Your skills in your profile/resume looks impressive but your portfolio doesnt seems to connect. If you say you have Strong background in rapid concepting, quick sketcher prove it in your portfolio.

SO if you could improve on the sketches and presentation criteria I bet you will have a better and attractive portfolio

Good Luck!!

Guest sachin

I think my biggest criticism of this portfolio would have to be that there needs to be more sense of hierarchy. There is a lot of information on each page and its hard to see which point you want to emphasise more. I would say in this situation, the end result should be the focal point of each page. Perhaps a nice photograph of each model taking up half the space of the page. The background colors also seem to be quite strong as well.

As for places to apply to, I could see consultacies or even places that deal with housewares, Target or Interdesign might be good places to look at. But definitely don't be afraid to apply to as many places as possible and to always be keen on editing your portfolio throughout the process.

Guest taryn paper

hey everyone thanks alot, this was the best crit ive ever gotten! I cant wait to make my pages look more Industrial Design-y. I def have to work on my sketches, I feel that they are too stylized. I'm not going to change everything, but I think I need to change alot! Two things that I want to keep are my colors and my confidence, I am a marketing person gone the design route and a little confidence can really go a long way. Far too often I see Industrial Designers with a lack of confidence and no presentation skills and I'm the opposite. I do think the colors could be toned down... but idk, I really like them! I'm not into the white page aesthetic, I feel like designers shouldn't fear color or blame it as a distraction, to me, if its a distraction on the page, you're technically still looking at the page, i rather distracting than boring any day!

again thanks alot for the crit, I really appreciate it!

<3 taryn

Guest dcdesign4u

Good Concepts, Garbage can is a great, functional idea. Not sure about the pen, I like to see the tip when I'm drawing, but it looks nice.

Have you ever thought about bags, components and soft goods?

Try Stylecareers.com. I think Sampsonite is right in your next of the woods. They do alot of custom molded components.